Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

@Codfish….Thank you. I know those videos exist, but I’m looking for images of their use by one of our BoneSmarties….:) It’s much more meaningful to see one of our members having a successful experience with something like this.
 
@Annekin I'm pleased so far, but as I stated it's only been 24 hours and I can't yet say with certainty I haven't coincidentally come out of a flair up. They are comfortable to use though and after three months on crutches, a welcome change.
 
I created a quick video of my Activator Poles in action. I couldn't upload it but slipped it onto YouTube unlisted so it can only be seen through this link. Hair, makeup and wardrobe had the day off :heehee: You'll see my posture still isn't great but it's getting better.

 
Thanks for creating and sharing this video, @Deni444. Glad you are noticing improvement in your posture.
 
@Coddfish I think so too. I wasn't sure it was that obvious on the video. It feels a lot better than it looks. One thing for sure, they activate arm muscles (triceps). Quite tender but at least it's stopping me from overdoing it this weekend!
 
WHAT?!! Your not in full drag and wearing a fancy schmancy out fit for your screen debut? :wink: :heehee:
Kidding aside...this is great! Thanks for taking the time, I'm sure many will find it useful, Deni. And from what I can see, you look great. Have a wonderful weekend!
@Deni444
 
@Deni444 Thanks for the informative and lovely video! Yes it is very noticeable that the poles are helping you stand taller and walk with more confidence!
 
Great video, @Deni444 …. Just what I was looking for. And the fact that you’re added walking with the arm crutch and cane also is perfect. It demonstrates how much better you walk with the poles. It is a noticeable difference.
 
Love the video & you are doing phenomenal! I can definitely see the difference poles vs cane or crutches. You are nice & straight & tall.
Good stuff!k
 
14 weeks Post LTHR Update

I thought I'd be better by now! This was one of my first thoughts this morning as I struggled to hobble about. Thankfully almost immediately so many recovery stories popped into my head. The desperate cry of so many fellow BoneSmarties at some point on their journey. I reminded myself that, fast forward to the 12 month mark, a great many, despite all kinds of challenges feel very positive about their recovery.

That's the positivity to take away from this update and really is a source of motivation. On the other hand however, today is today. Today it's hard. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but the reality is that some days recovery is hard and it's miserable. Hip replacement is a big deal and is a year long recovery journey, at least. For many of us there's more going on than a worn out joint. Even without anything serious in the background. A worn out joint leaves its mark on all the soft tissue it connects to.

So, I just wanted to say, recovery is not always a bed of roses. I'm better than I was before surgery and at 14 weeks that's all I can say.

Sorry for the lack of optimism folks but hopefully in a years time I can look back and say, it was just a bad day.

P.s. Still using the poles, it's been great but suddenly, I'm really struggling to be up on my feet much. Probably over did it doing the washing yesterday. Maybe just an arthritis flair. Who knows :kickedout:
 
Hi Deni,
Let me start by saying that what you're feeling is common. As you've read over and over here, recovery isn't always smooth. At this point it's easy to feel like you're falling behind, especially if you're making comparisons. As you know, each recovery is unique, and there is no "one size fits all" timeline. Your body simply needs more time...and that's okay! You've moved through the hardest part so far, with surgery and the early weeks of pain while trying to establish a routine. You may not be where you want to be yet, but healing is still ongoing. Given more time, you'll be in a much better place. Hang in there and know that we're here for you. :friends:
@Deni444
 
Hi Deni, I too am feeling despondent today. I managed to go to lunch with a friend which should be a positive thing, and indeed the lunch was, but walking the short distance involved from the bus to restaurant was scary and tiring. I hobble along desperately trying to walk upright and correctly with my poles but I have so much pain in my knee that I walk unevenly and I am really scared of falling. This recovery seems so much harder than my knee replacement two years ago. Plus the osteoporosis diagnosis has left me really frightened of tripping. A running dog or child makes me freeze with fear in case they run into me.
@Deni444
 
:roseshwr:@Layla @benne68
I hear you and you're absolutely right. I'm actually doing OK generally but just being honest about the ups and downs of recovery. Some days can be tough and sometimes it's rational and sometimes it's just a case of feeling a bit sorry for oneself. Today's a bit of the latter.

@IndigoKnee :friends: At this rate they'll fire us from the cheerleading squad :eyebrows: Some days it all seems to go to pot. Maybe it's that old devil called, 'impatience'? We've been through a lot and we're still going through it. We want to be at the top looking back down at the mountain just climbed. Not still looking up from the quarter way mark. We'll get there and help each other one step at a time x
 
Not saying anything that you don't already know, but don't be overly influenced by other's recovery stories. SO many variables go into determining one's recovery, including age, damage prior to surgery, conditioning prior to surgery, other medical issues, etc., etc. I feel for my UK and Canadian friends who seem to all have to wait for an extraordinary amount of time before their surgery can be scheduled. That alone has to have an impact on the recovery path.

But, as you know, it's the end result that matters. Stay the course and have faith that you'll get there. Better days ahead - just can't set it on a calendar yet.
 
@Deni444 We all get days where we feel a little low. Just look at how far you have come since your operation. The milestones you have achieved. In a few months time you will look back and see further progression. Keep going.
Thanks for the heads up on the poles
 
Hi @Deni444
I am sorry you are having a tough journey through this. Things have got better for you and they will continue to do so. Your other health issues and preceding loss of mobility have made it harder for you, and I know you recognise that is unfortunately the landscape you are working with. One day at a time.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom