Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

My heart goes out to each and every one of you for your kindness and encouragement, thank you :loveshwr:

I can report a return to a more positive outlook today. Thanks you very much :)
 
We all get the “blues.” Quite normal. And we all just want to be better!
But when you are the one recovering you do need the big patience pill.
And Indigo I get that feeling of being “ on guard” around possible situations that can derail you. I still to this day check out my surroundings.
 
I second that feeling of fear as a potential knock down comes my way. I'm actually a bit terrified of falling over. I imagine that's normal for people who have a new hip. I guess initially it's fear but eventually that transitions to mindfulness. A bit like people who have serious allergies. I know that I adjust my stance ready for my dog who I know will jump up. Accidents happen, it's a reality of life. They happen but they are not frequent. I could spend my whole life avoiding falling over but get run over by a bus. That's what I try and remind myself in an attempt to be a bit more relaxed about it.
 
I am diabetic and my meds for that condition make a constant battle for me to stay hydrated. I’ve noticed that when I’m on the “dry” side of hydration, my strength and balance are significantly impacted.

It’s been hot and humid here and yesterday in spite of drinking most of a bottle of Pedialyte, I think I was dehydrated. I had dinner theater and found myself in that weak and unbalanced state once I started out of the house. It continued through most of the show, even as I drank about a quart of water (skipping the iced tea I had ordered). I was better by the time to come home, but didn’t truly feel better until more water and a sleep. This morning I’m okay again.

So….let me be a lesson to you all be to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water throughout the day (and even at night if you get up to use the bathroom). It’s so easy to become dehydrated as we age.
 
Last edited:
Great advice Jamie. It’s been very hot and humid here as well. I find just walking upstairs from my laundry area to be taxing!
Deni,
PA I had said to me “just don’t fall.” Like who wants to fall?
 
That's good advice @Jamie
I absolutely know I don't drink enough water. I'm going to make a bigger effort to rectify that. Thanks for the reminder!
 
Adding in an electrolyte drink now and then is also a good idea as lots of water can flush vital electrolytes out of your system. This would be a drink like Pedialyte or Gatorade.
 
@Deni444
Recovery is a roller coaster, good days, not so good days, and the bad days. We will get there in time.
[Bonesmart.org] left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior
 
@Jamie Thanks again. I have never jumped on the 'electrolyte' bandwagon and wasn't too sure about their benefits. Probably don't watch enough TV!

Having read up, I understand why you're recommending them.

“Electrolytes regulate our pH and our fluid balance. They are essential for our heart, our muscles, our brain and our nerves to function,” she explains. “So, they’re really, really important.”
I found a really good read if anybody is interested. Personally, I try to consume homemade from scratch whenever possible and so was interested to know if I could make an effective Electrolyte drink. Great news, yes! Apparently a lot of the marketed products are not all they claim to be. The article gives links to recipes but flags up the following as key ingredients:

  • Coconut Water
  • Lemon Juice (citrus)
  • Salt
  • Raw Honey
  • Ginger
 
Deni,
My GF in Virgin Islands makes a drink with fresh lemon, honey & ginger.
When we visit she has them all made up in small glasses in our frig & says best way to start your day.
Many years ago I had an episode when I was on island. We were hiking and I became so lightheaded & weak. Realized even though I was drinking plenty of water the water on island is desalinated and contains no beneficial nutrients.
We drove to small store and bought a few Gatorades and I drank two & started feeling better.
Once your magnesium levels start to drop it can cause all kinds of health related issues so I certainly learned a valuable lesson.
 
Minus the ginger, I didn't have fresh in, I made up a glass this morning. A spoon of honey in a little warm water, fresh lemon juice from half a lemon, pinch of pink salt, filled the glass with water. It was certainly refreshing. I'm going to try to have it every morning.
 
The coconut water is really good too if you have it to add to your morning drink. Bravo for finding such a good homemade recipe.
 
Thanks Jamie. I'll add it to my shopping list for a change from lemon.
 
Or….you can use them both!!
 
For the second day running I've been strimming the garden. Legs seem to cope well with an hour of light strimming. Crutch in one hand, strimmer in the other. Followed that with attempting to teach my stubborn dog to walk on a lead next to my rollator (she pulls so don't trust walking her with poles). I actually managed to walk through the house to fetch the dog lead I'd forgotten without any support. Limped a lot but was otherwise strong and able. Dog walking was a disaster, she just planted her bottom and refused. I'll try again with yummy treats. At least I won't overdo it, it will take a bag of treats to get half way around the garden :heehee:
 
I actually managed to walk through the house to fetch the dog lead I'd forgotten without any support.
Good for you, @Deni444! Isn't that the best "surprise" when that happens. Harbinger of things to come.

attempting to teach my stubborn dog to walk on a lead next to my rollator (she pulls so don't trust walking her with poles).
Very wise! Even a well-trained dogs can make unpredictable moves that cause us to lose our balance. (I speak from experience .... well, maybe they weren't that well trained after all! )

If your rollator has a seat, maybe you should tie her leash to the thing and let her pull you around the garden. :dogwalk:
 
I've definitely got the Electrolyte Bug. I've had a lot more energy and seem to recover quicker after activity. Found a new recipe to try. Strawberry and Lime!

Blend together the following until the honey dissolves, serve with ice.
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 2 T. honey

 
That sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Strawberry limeade. I’m going to be forced to try this.
 
For the second day running I've been strimming the garden. Legs seem to cope well with an hour of light strimming. Crutch in one hand, strimmer in the other. Followed that with attempting to teach my stubborn dog to walk on a lead next to my rollator (she pulls so don't trust walking her with poles). I actually managed to walk through the house to fetch the dog lead I'd forgotten without any support. Limped a lot but was otherwise strong and able. Dog walking was a disaster, she just planted her bottom and refused. I'll try again with yummy treats. At least I won't overdo it, it will take a bag of treats to get half way around the garden :heehee:
My mum had an Irish Setter who would point blank refuse to cross a particular bridge in her local village. So my mum had to carry this big dog over the bridge! We never could work out why that bridge
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom