Guest viewing is limited

THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

I hope you haven't developed bursitis but the side steps definitely can't be helping that ease off. Don't know if you have seen this article in our library?

New hips don't like the load of lifting heavy things so I hope you are also being careful with your upper body strength training.
Listen to your body...like you did in this case and it will tell you what is helpful and what is aggravating still healing soft tissue.
Also, developed mild operative side knee pain in the space below the kneecap after doing sidesteps on the front porch, so stopped that and it seems to be improving.
Just walking and rest and ice are beat.
:bored:Boring, I know, but best.

Lots of sympathy for your frustration on side sleeping...even with a pillow between my legs it was quite some time before I could be comfortable.
Still early days @Mutwa
Maybe you could consider dropping PT for a while ...it was causing unnecessary issues for me early on, and sound like your hip really needs more time.
Healing vibes coming your way.
 
New symptom: two whiteheads 2” apart just medial to the area covered by steristrips. Whitehead is about a pencil lead thickness; inflammation about a pencil eraser. Seeing PCP Monday. Treating with soap water and bactroban.
 
I hope you haven't developed bursitis but the side steps definitely can't be helping that ease off. Don't know if you have seen this article in our library?

New hips don't like the load of lifting heavy things so I hope you are also being careful with your upper body strength training.
Listen to your body...like you did in this case and it will tell you what is helpful and what is aggravating still healing soft tissue.
Also, developed mild operative side knee pain in the space below the kneecap after doing sidesteps on the front porch, so stopped that and it seems to be improving.
Just walking and rest and ice are beat.
:bored:Boring, I know, but best.

Lots of sympathy for your frustration on side sleeping...even with a pillow between my legs it was quite some time before I could be comfortable.
Still early days @Mutwa
Maybe you could consider dropping PT for a while ...it was causing unnecessary issues for me early on, and sound like your hip really needs more time.
Healing vibes coming your way.
Walked for 28 minutes today with the pain mostly on the non-operated arthritic hip.

I would think that the operative hip would have complained more if there was bursitis there.

The whiteheads are improving. Will see PCP tomorrow and ask about doxycycline.
 
Good Evening,
Glad you and your PCP addressed your concerns in a timely manner. Hopefully the meds work and quickly clear up whatever the issue is.
Keep us posted. I hope you have a nice week. :wave:
@Mutwa
 
Yeah, I’m swabbing the nostrils with bactroban. Had to look up on internet how to do that. Turns out I’ve been too sparing with the bactroban. I’m not pressing nostrils, and not swabbing long enough. I wish I had been told more, but i was the last patient and the staff had gone—so no instruction sheet was available.

New hot spots today, in the eyebrow, but just started the doxy this afternoon.

At least the spots near the incision have reabsorbed.

And I should be using the soap I used presurgery, from what I’m reading.
 
I hear a grinding sound when doing PR consisting of a shallow squat plus sidestep away from the operated side. Any cause for concern?
 
Hi @Mutwa
I've heard of a popping sound that is attributed to the Psoas tendon rubbing against the new hip during the healing process and in turning the leg side to side. The sensation does disappear with time. But you've described it as a "grinding" sound which I'm unsure about.

Don't hesitate to contact the office of your surgeon with questions. I'm sure a PA or Nurse will call you back and most likely offer an answer and reassurance over the phone. I'd ask about the Antibacterial / Antimicrobial skin cleanser at the same time.
Wishing you a nice evening and end to the week!
 
Let us know what you hear...
Until then, Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice Thursday. :)
@Mutwa
 
Saw the DPT. She got the joint to grind while lying on my side, extending and abducting the hip. I also get a higher frequency doing bridges.

There is no evidence of dislocation or coming loose. Since the grind is especially pronounced when putting weight on, the therapist guess is that internal muscles (severed and reattached during surgery) aren’t holding the implant tight, so fluid gets in, and the grind or whatever it is is the result of the ball making better contact with the cup, but needing to squish out the fluid.

I called in a message for the second day with updated symptoms.
 
[Duplicate post, deleted content but don’t know how to delete.]
 
Wondering if you would consider stopping the PT? You don't really need PT aside from walking for exercise. The thought of the PT doing maneuvers to get your hip to grind sounds counterintuitive.

Bridges are a core stability exercise and they put a great deal of pressure on the hip joint, soft tissue and muscle in an area that has been recently traumatized through the major surgery of THR. Look at it as a "controlled" trauma. Your body is trying to heal, and it is healing. It doesn't need to be put through workout routines. Consider saving that for later if you're dealing with a gait issue, or something similar. Let me ask you this...if you sustained the same injury through a car wreck, would you be thinking you needed to workout your leg?
@Mutwa
 
I guess my question would be why in the wide world of sports are you doing bridges and side adduction/abductions?
Thanks for your note. Here’s more context, @Eman85

The side abduction was for diagnostic purposes only. The bridges were substituted for the sidesteps where I first noticed this symptom. The small amount of action in the bridges is probably from my hypersensitivity. It’s not too far out of normal for when I walk, and bridging movement is used for example when shifting around in bed.
 
PA called. It’s normal for ceramic on plastic implants. It could also be scar tissue.
 
Good news! :thumb:
 
So now the limiting leg is becoming the non-operated one. It is the one giving discomfort on a walk. I have one medical option left: doubling the Celebrex dosage. I might try that.

Let’s say that that doesn’t do much. How long should one wait ideally before doing the second hip?

Opinions?
 
When was the last time you had your non op hip x-rayed?
Is it bone on bone?

Which hip was replaced on November 5th? Please let us know below so the info can be added to your signature.

You need to discuss the situation with your surgeon and go from there. I've read of many time frames here in regard to a second THR ranging from one week post op to several weeks or months. If your non op hip needs replacing your surgeon may advise you wait a specified amount of time.
Start with him / her.
@Mutwa
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom