THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Are you planning the other hip soon?

Surgeon thinks the non-surgical leg might get better, so it’s wait and see.

I’m totally off narcotics for 24 hrs, while on Celebrex and a small amount of Aspirin. So far I can’t tell the difference pain wise.

I kind of want to get back up on strength first so as to have a similar recovery. To that end, I’m going to do some upper body work today.

I see in your recovery guidelines that car trips should be short for the first 8 weeks or so. Why is that? I’m in week three, and went 15 minutes each way to church without problems. I needed a cushion to fill in the bucket seat was all.

Week 7, we’ve got an overland planned. We’ll take frequent stops to walk around. Concerns?

Still off narcotic meds since last post. Walked 15 min today.

Everyone’s recovery is different.

I drove roundtrip seven hours to visit friends at week 4, drove roundtrip Florida to Colorado around week eight, flew Florida to Minnesota and then drove to Canada to go fishing around week 12, flew Europe at week 16 including driving in France and Spain.

This was not a competition, but simply what I did because it felt fine. I was not trying to challenge myself, just seemed fine to do all this.

Everyone’s recovery is different - other than some overdoing it around day 8-11, my recovery was pretty standard. My first THR was straightforward, but slower - partially because I continued narcotics when I was feeling any significant pain - my experience this time was better and I felt better just using Tylenol.

I see in your recovery guidelines that car trips should be short for the first 8 weeks or so. Why is that? I’m in week three, and went 15 minutes each way to church without problems.

Hi @Mutwa
I'm guessing that you're referencing what it says under Six-Seven Weeks in the Activity Progression For THR article? If so, I believe it means that any walks around stores should be kept under 20 mins initially, not necessarily the car ride anywhere.

I think many are uncomfortable during lengthy car rides for several weeks until even a few months post op. I know I was. It's confining, not allowing for ease in movement to stretch, or easily reposition yourself. If you intend to travel the only advice I'd give is to make frequent stops to get out, stretch and walk a bit. You could also bring a cooler and some gel ice packs in case you begin feeling any discomfort, or swelling due to sitting. I'm sure you'll do fine at seven weeks as long as you make the stops to walk around as you mentioned you plan to do.

Minor setback: Mild surgical leg knee pain distil to the kneecap. Worked with the PT on this, and we decided it’s more likely tendinitis from walking differently, since it seems to be coming from top of the tibia.

So I’m easing off on walking today.

Hi all,

Semi-scary symptom. Last night, I discovered a 2” lateral bump on the glute, a few inches inferior to and posterior from the distal end of the posterior lateral incision. It bulges like a third of a tennis ball. It is softer than surrounding tissue, not painful, not hot, perhaps a shade redder than adjacent flesh. Wife looked at it and was unconcerned.

At the same time, I had what I thought of as abductor pain maybe from too much walking/PT in a lateral spot a bit lower down. That seemed to respond to ice and a tramadol. Pain was 6/10, enough to keep me awake pre-tramadol.

Knee is better.

Question. I read that P. Acne is an implant Infection culprit. I have acne rosacea. I treat with metro cream, but get lesions a few times a month. I got a bactroban Rx to treat the lesions, but would like to prevent these entirely. (Pre-surgery, I treated lesions with a heated rice sock.) Should I see a dermatologist? Maybe get a doxycycline Rx? I used to live in a malarial area, and tolerated doxy well as prophylaxis.

Last edited:
Hello @Mutwa :wave:
I'd contact the office of the OS. I'm sure a PA is on call. Run your concerns by them, or ask if you can send a photo from your phone of the area of concern.
It will hopefully give you the reassurance and peace of mind you're seeking.
Sounds like you could use a day of rest, at the very least, less walking.
Happy Saturday, I hope it's a good one for you!

Good to hear. Wishing you the best.
Let us know what you hear, if you feel like sharing...
@Mutwa

Question, copied down from previous edited message. I read that P. Acne is an implant Infection culprit. I have acne rosacea. I treat with metro cream, but get lesions a few times a month. I got a bactroban Rx to treat the lesions, but would like to prevent these entirely. (Pre-surgery, I treated lesions with a heated rice sock.) Should I see a dermatologist? Maybe get a doxycycline Rx? I used to live in a malarial area, and tolerated doxy well as prophylaxis.

Doc called. He thinks it’s normal post-op, probably fluid accumulation in the glute. I’m to watch it and come in Monday if there are any adverse changes.

Good news! Hopefully it dissipates. Did you ask your surgeon's advice about your acne concerns when he returned your call? If not, and you need to speak with him next week, I'd ask his opinion then, or contact your dermatologist.
Have a good one!
@Mutwa

OS saw me between surgeries, said that p acne enters through incisions. So my acne rosecea is not a concern, though I should see the PCP or a dermatologist, given that the stress of surgery is making it more active.

He was unconcerned about the swelling, but happy I checked with him.

Got muscle relaxant meds to try for trochanteric bursitis, from his cutting and repairing the IT band.

Got OS clearance for strength training with barbells.

Discharging from home visiting PT. My DPT/strength coach will work with me as a coach outside the hip (upper body barbell workouts) while leaving the hip to a closer in DPT who I will see in a clinic.

Week 4!

Congratulations on week 4! :loveshwr:
You have really come a long way and you sound very proactive. I am very happy for you for sorting things out.

Glad you got a good visit with your OS.. I had weird pockets of swelling like you described. Seemed to come from sitting in the recliner with extended pressure in one area.
Hard to believe that you are already to 4 weeks.. Please use caution with the upper body workouts.. I am sure you know this, but I have to say it anyway.. start light and slow?

Coach is a sidelining DPT with 30 years experience in physical therapy. He’s said he’ll take it easy.

Had my last in home PT today. Took a .75 mile walk with him and he says my gait has improved nicely. The only cue I need is to let my legs brush together while walking.

PT left me with IT band stretches.

With OS approval, I did military (ie, no rebounding arms or thrusting hips) overhead presses at 90lb. Missed the final rep of 5 sets of 3, which means I am at just about the right weight for training.

Seeing PCP over acne rosecea concerns on Monday.

Thanksgiving for my caregiver team, including you guys.

Paul

Last edited:
I also have acne rosecea. I’ve been on a low dose of doxycycline (20mg once a day) for decades and decades with no ill effects. In addition it also prevents my blepharitis from flaring up. If I stop for even just a few days my eyes are flaking and itchy again and my rosecea is back. The two conditions are thought to be related. I didn’t run into any increase in symptoms after my two hip replacements but I was kept on the doxy without interruption.

I also have acne rosecea. I’ve been on a low dose of doxycycline (20mg once a day) for decades and decades with no ill effects. In addition it also prevents my blepharitis from flaring up. If I stop for even just a few days my eyes are flaking and itchy again and my rosecea is back. The two conditions are thought to be related. I didn’t run into any increase in symptoms after my two hip replacements but I was kept on the doxy without interruption.

I was thinking about doxy. I’ve used it in the past for malaria prophylaxis. So I’ll ask about that.

Sleep. I’m a side sleeper, because of a deviated septum causing snoring. I got checked out for sleep apnea, and docs said none. So I got a hospital bed, and that enabled back sleeping.

I keep trying to sleep on the non-operated side, but after 10 minutes, I get lateral soreness on the operated side and have to flip back. Pain relievers and muscle relaxants don’t help. OS thinks it is trochanteric bursitis.

Home PT gave me a standing IT band stretch. It doesn’t seem to do much. Seeing clinic DPT on Monday.

Also, developed mild operative side knee pain in the space below the kneecap after doing sidesteps on the front porch, so stopped that and it seems to be improving. I think PT should have limited the steps to less than 25 at a time. Will discuss with DPT on Monday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back