Guest viewing is limited

THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Right hip was operated.

OS says left hip qualifies, though it is in better shape than the right hip was pre-surgery. He’s willing to do it whenever, or try a medical approach. It’s really up to me.

So that leaves me balancing getting in good shape first with putting up with activity limitations from OA.
 
Sounds like the choice is yours. Keep in mind how far your surgeon schedules out, on average. Mine averages about two months, some average less, some longer.
 
:wave:@Mutwa
Sorry lefty is giving you problems...but I do hope you take into consideration that the Celebrex obviously does not cure arthritis and will help you only as long as you continue to take it.
I worry for issues related to long term use of NSAIDS.
 
Consider your quality of life and how quickly you want to get back to doing anything you want after recoveries. I am and have been on Celebrex for years for knees, hips, thumbs and it really did not solve the problems or enable me to be pain free and able to do activities. It seems to help with the thumbs most. In fact my last vacation this spring was extremely painful walking around New Orleans even with Celebrex and Tylenol aboard and limited my ability to get around.
 
Yeah, well, I’m keeping an open mind until at least the Dec 19 follow up appointment, when he’ll take X-rays and determine if there’s good ossification on the operated hip. I’m going to start listing questions for the OS…
 
List of questions is always good. I had a list on my phone notepad app for pre op and now have started one for my post op appt. on Wed. I find it is easy to forget otherwise all the little and large things one has concerns about without a list. Don't forget Layla's suggestion of asking how far out is the OS booking schedule usually - this seems to be a something that is a big difference for many - my OS books about 4-5m out.
 
Week seven!

Stopped the aspirin today. Still some mild swelling distal and posterior to the incision, but not getting worse, and been there for weeks. Still doing exercises to move the lymph.

The downer is that the non-operated hip is giving pain. It was particularly bad over the weekend, but I have figured out some motions to avoid, and am doing rehab exercises (below). Ironic that my focus is on the non-op hip.

Did strength lifting today with a DPT sidelining as a coach. He pointed out some knee tracking issues because of weak external rotators—something to work on and focus on especially when climbing stairs. Did bench presses, rack pulls (shortened deadlifts), step ups and sits from stands. We are slowly increasing the weight carried with each of these. Bad hip was ok afterwards, feeling better if anything.

I see the OS on Thursday. If there’s good ossification, will discuss surgery, maybe mid January.
 
Please be careful, you're still very early on in this recovery adventure and would hate to see you set yourself back. Sounds like you're doing an awful lot of exercise. Hoping you get the results you want when you see your OS on Thursday and please share with us how it goes.
 
Boy, that is a real downer, for sure about your other hip. T?here are many members who experienced that very same thing and it sounds like you've accepted that it will need attended to sooner than later.


wishing you the best of follow up visits with your OS on Thursday! Will be interested in hearing what the outcome is.
 
7 weeks follow up. Everything checks out.

Left hip surgery date January 21st. Day surgery, operation scheduled for 0730, probably out by late afternoon. They will have a room reserved if I or they feel I need to overnight. Will have spinal anesthesia instead of general.
 
Last edited:
Happy to see you have a date for your next surgery. Just a day or so over a month so not too long to wait. And your right hip will be pretty close to 3 months so it will be able to help pick up some of the slack.
 
Great news! Might as well get it scheduled and over with!
Remember when all we wanted for Christmas were our 2 front teeth????
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan. You will be done with the pain and can be done with recovery quite close together and move on with normal life.
 
New double hippy for 2020!!!:dancy:

Stay well, friend and enjoy the holidays.
:wreath:
 
I keep hearing about it taking time for the body to accept the implant. What does not yet acceptance mean?

I ask because swelling is almost gone, but feels like I’m lying on a tennis ball when I try to lie on my side, implant side down. I can do it for 20 minutes, then that feeling comes.
 
Consider your quality of life and how quickly you want to get back to doing anything you want after recoveries. I am and have been on Celebrex for years for knees, hips, thumbs and it really did not solve the problems or enable me to be pain free and able to do activities. It seems to help with the thumbs most. In fact my last vacation this spring was extremely painful walking around New Orleans even with Celebrex and Tylenol aboard and limited my ability to get around.

Have you checked with a sportsmed doc? He prescribed me Tizanidine (muscle relaxant) and Tramadol (opioid) (not taken at the same time) as nighttime supplements to the Celebrex. The better sleep helped me cope on an Alaska trip, and the OS will let me use pre-surgery in the no NSAIDs week prior.
 
Last edited:
I keep hearing about it taking time for the body to accept the implant. What does not yet acceptance mean?
I don't know who you've heard that from. I don't think it's from BoneSmart.
What we advise is that it takes a full year for complete recovery from a joint replacement. Your tissues have to heal from the trauma of major surgery and your body has to make adjustments for the altered alignment and gait.
 
I keep hearing about it taking time for the body to accept the implant. What does not yet acceptance mean?

I ask because swelling is almost gone, but feels like I’m lying on a tennis ball when I try to lie on my side, implant side down. I can do it for 20 minutes, then that feeling comes.
Common feeling muscle is probably still swollen sore inside. If you look at your x-ray you'll see you're not laying on the implant the bone sticks out further. It takes time for the bone to start filling in around the implant.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom