THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Setback. Saw PCP about palpitations over the weekend. ECG picked up excessive PVCs, premature ventricular contraction. He wasn’t all that concerned, but wants me to see a cardiologist for an echocardiogram. It’s probably drug mediated, so I’m stopping coffee, Flomax and decongestants, which means sleep issues.

Then if I pass cardiology, PCP wants me to get the bone spur in my nose corrected first. Can’t do that until three months after the hip operation, so Feb 5. Hip can be operated a couple weeks after the nose.
 
Glad your doctor caught it.

Sorry about the bone spur.

Hope all works well.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays!
 
Hopefully just blips on the screen. Wishing you all the best. Keep us posted.
Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
@Mutwa
 
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Wishing you peace of mind and a Merry Christmas.
Please Consider taking a sabbatical from PT for the hip as you have these other concerns to address.
You won't lose anything by taking a break and you may gain some uninterrupted healing.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Happy New Year!
Week 9

Did squats with a light bar to a box, rack pulls (restricted movement deadlifts), and bench presses. Felt good. Then later took a bit longer walk. Most of the discomfort now is in the left hip.

PT specific exercises are focused on getting off the floor or a golfer’s pickup as if the left hip were operated. Can’t do it yet without assistance, but getting there.

Lingering question. How aggressive should I be about consulting my PCP when not feeling well? I’m concerned about a viral infection turning bacterial and infecting the implant.

For example, I sometimes get bronchitis that turns into asthma in the winter. Once it turned into pneumonia. I’ve got inhalers on hand to deal with the bronchitis. Should I be more aggressive about seeing the PCP, or do business as usual?

Heart palpitations have settled down with avoidance of triggers.

Thanks
 
I think, better safe than sorry.
Notify the doctors about any concerns.
The health issues really don't raise major red flags re post perriprosthetic infections, but - and this is just my own opinion, you should not worry about expending precious energy stores in the kind of PT you are engaging in - especially if you ate fending off an illness.
I wish you would try to relax and prepare for this next surgery.
 
Last edited:
Whoever has had THR (everyone here?), do you find yourself more aggressive in seeing the PCP than before surgery? Like where you used to grit things out for several days (“because it’s probably viral”) before calling the PCP?

Trying to get a sense of things.
 
@Mutwa I think most of us tried to stay as far from anyone that could possibly infect us as possible. I know it's been mentioned before about when you're up and around hitting the grocery store, etc ( think it was @Eman85) that you use wipes on the carts before using them to cut down on germs and such.

I think the biggest thing is, we all know are bodies best and only we can say if we let something slide or push to see our PCP. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. If I remember correctly you have some ongoing issues that pop up so I would probably be in close contact with my PCP if need be.
 
Took me a while to figure out primary care physician, I think I'm right. My left hip a short time in and I got sick, hence my advise about wipes. I ended up with a pretty intense sinus infection that hurt down to my jaw. I was worried and saw my PCP a couple of times over it. But I can say that since then I go for my 6 mo checkups and that's about it. I'm generally pretty healthy and ortho problems have been my only weak points in my life.
 
My answer to your question above is, No. I'm a wait it out type person unless my symptoms are alarming. I'm also a medication avoider and figure if I call it's gonna be a pill. A pill for this, a pill for that....not my cup of tea. That's just me. You need to do what makes you comfortable.

On a different note -
Happy Two Month Anniversary! :happydance:
Hope today is a good day. :)
 
Operated hip is now 90% in strength. I can do single leg bridges with it, which I couldn’t do a couple weeks ago.

Seeing the cardiologist today over PVCs. I need her clearance for surgery now. I think the problem is dehydration at night. Maybe some vagus nerve involvement. Sigh...more getting up at night and alcohol and caffeine with food, only.

And another lesson: don’t start something medical (like Flomax, which started all this) before surgery.
 
I do not know if this would be helpful, just catching up on your thread, but I fill up 32 ounces of water and try to drink it all before dinner.

Also, I wear a surgical mask when I go out in public now, before my surgery. Always wash my hands as soon as I get in the house.
 
Cardiologist gave surgeon a green light, though heart monitor results still pend.

She had me increase my dose of diuretic, since my BP was a little high, and that has reducedthe intensity, if not the frequency, of PVCs.

So you can put me on preop. One week to go for hip number two.
 
Glad to read that you are still ready to go on the 21st! Sounds like your Dr's are being very thorough and that is a comforting thought as you head into surgery.
Here's hoping your next week goes by uneventfully and calmly.
 
Glad to hear you are checking off the boxes for a second successful surgery.
@Mutwa I am not far behind you for my first one.
First one? Your description says “Graduate”. So I’m curious about the seeming contradiction. Did you have a previous knee or shoulder replacement?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom