THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Went in today for an injection into the quadratus femoris. However, the physiatrist could not see the target with his ultrasound equipment, so he aborted the procedure. He is sending me to an interventional radiologist or a Sportsmed, This is an uncommon procedure, so it might take some sleuthing.

He also found bursitis down there, I think at the lesser trochanter.

Have started low dose naltrexone, and that is helping.
 
Update on the left hip. A sportsmed put something in my quadratus femoris. On the way in, he noted unusually tough fascia (and I got a spasm when he got through. So he needled it a number of times.

He thinks that the fascia problem was a hip replacement artifact. That took place in 1/2020.

That seems to have relieved a chunk of pain, and I was able to do PT without pain this morning. I’m also getting walking going again, inching up very slowly to a mile. Yesterday evening, I got up and walked, and noticed something unusual: absence of pain! First time in two years.

Moral: if you get post-surgical pain, even years later:

  • Get a complete work up done by your PCP, including imaging, before seeing a specialist. This should include back and hips.
  • Read through everything, including radiology reports.
  • Don’t buy, “It’s your back.” if there is something on the hip report saying that it might be coming from the hip. There was on mine, but doctors ignored it.
  • Don’t be satisfied with narcotics and steroids. They don’t fix the problem, and it will only get worse. Instead, get second(, third or fourth) opinions. It was opinion number seven (of all the various specialists consulted) in my case that was correct.
 
Last edited:
Long time since I posted. I got better and was able to lift barbells l, even competitively, until about April this year, when everything fell apart again.

Last night, with the help of chatGPT, I was able to isolate deep gluteal pain, that is, in the quadratus femoris (QF). I’m going to see a new SportsMed and get it injected.

QF pain can mimic sciatica.

I see from previous that I’ve had QF Ainjectiin before, with partial success. It may be that three things are wrong: piriformis syndrome, ischial femoral joint impingement, and SI joint instability. But how to control Vince doctors of this.
 
Last edited:
Welcome back, @Mutwa. Sorry to read that your pain is back and hope the doctor you are seeing can help.

A reminder to be cautious using"Dr. Google" for self diagnosis: The information is only as good as the source, so make sure the source is a reputable medical institution (AAOS, HSS, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc.) and not some random .com site.

Since you were last on the forum, we've implemented a two-tier membership program to help us support the important work BoneSmart does. You are currently a Basic Member, which means you may search the forum and read others' thread. You may also continue to share your journey here in your Recovery thread.

However, if you'd like advice from our staff and answers to questions about your recovery issues, you will need the Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will receive personalized support to quickly answer any questions or concerns you may have. We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and let us know how things go.
 
I am 7 years out from my successful right hip replacement surgery and am grateful every day for the increased mobility and quality of life it gave me. But there are still times when I get pain or discomfort in the hip areas of both hips. Part of it is the natural aging process for me, as I have arthritis in my joints all over my body. Part of it is overdoing, or just doing something I haven't done for awhile. What I have found that often stops the situation from worsening is to do a reset just as I did following my replacement. I stop all but essential daily life activities, start icing, and begin taking acetaminophen or an NSAID regularly to settle things down. After a few days this typically works. Not always, of course, and in those cases I have had to return to my physician. But in the event you haven't done a full reset, you might want to consider it in addition to the other things you are pursuing. The first time I had what felt like sciatica I was so distraught, worrying it was back. The reset has taken care of that both times it has occurred, along with some very gentle stretches a PT shared with me years ago before I had back surgery. I hope you can figure out the root cause of your pain so you can resume doing the things you enjoy.
 
Welcome back Mutwa,
Sorry it's under your current circumstances. I hope you can get an appointment with your OS soon for a diagnosis before proceeding. I wish you relief and all the best!
@Mutwa
 
@Layla I may be on the revision trail. Today I had the trochanter bursa injection. Muscles there are overstretched, seen many docs saying it’s my back while the radiologist says, nope. Quadratus femoris is getting pinched by the prosthesis. Result: atrophy.

Next step is steroid injection, but no one around here knows how or has the (obstetric!) ultrasound scope.

I think it worked last time (see above), but if not, revision.
 
I am sorry for the pain. Let's hope the injection works and revision won't be necessary.
Best Wishes!
@Mutwa
 
I had AI read the MRI report.

I missed that the impingement is bilateral.

And I noticed that I have a relapsed hernia.
 
@Debru4 Interesting idea.
@benne68 Injection didn’t last, but it was diagnostic. The ischiofemoral pain is separately sourced from the trochanteral.

All. I also have a relapsed initial hernia.

I’m scheduled with professorial docs now at UTSouthwestern.
 
Relapsed inguinal hernia. In the pelvic area. It was repaired with laparoscopic surgery. However, a hip revision surgeon put me under and I woke up with groin pain. The hip replacement was fine. So he must have really moved it around, setting me up for revision surgery of the hernia instead.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom