THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

Mutwa

Country
United States United States
Surgery was Nov 5. There were no movement restrictions afterwards. Doc said I had hip structure that made for as perfect a replacement as I could wish for.

With lateral, doc cuts three external rotators and sutures back after replacing the hip, so I’ve automatically got tendinitis. Otherwise, pain well under control. Walking with a cane.

Waiting for BM before discharge, and that’s becoming a problem.

Last edited:
Welcome to the other side @Mutwa ! Take it slow and steady.

I'll leave your reading list here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Mutwa you sound great. My surgeon uses the anterolateral approach ... not sure how that is different from the lateral" ... and yes, he places no restrictions ...

Question: you said because of the doctor's approach, you automatically have tendinitis. Say more about that if you will. I didn't follow ...

I had anterolateral and at three months out I have no tendinitis. I had no muscles cut either. And no restrictions.

Sorry to hear about the lack of movement. Curious why they want you to produce before discharge. I had surgery on a Mon was home Tues and nothing happened till Thurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Recovery and congratulations on the new hip!
It sounds like all is going well. Hopefully you're discharged soon so youre able to begin resting comfortably at home. Let us now how you're doing once you're settled in.
Safe travels home!
@Mutwa

I hope you get movement and can go home. There is something wonderful about being in your own space.

As it turned out, I didn’t need to produce. Passing gas was enough.

Just before discharge, the internal medicine doc showed up and told me that white blood cell count was a little high, but not to worry.

Yesterday I told the surgeon about some small facial hot spots I was having, as well as previous MRSA last spring. A cultured nasal swab Oct 2 was negative. He added an IV antibiotic to what had been given during surgery as a precaution.

Internal meds guy told me not to worry.

I’m worried.

What's done is done .
It probably doesn't matter except i understand you are entitled to a complete summary.
Its funny that the day after surgery i was rotating the foot outward and sidestepping was not a problem( that was in my exercise sheet)
Prior to op that was impossible I slept on my incision before two weeks post op

Two more setbacks.

I only read about PTs overdoing it after getting home. She pushed me too hard and I am worse off than immediately after surgery.

I should have taken aspirin as an anticoagulant at discharge, or been advised to get some. Now my wife is driving in the rain at 4am to a Walmart to get some. It only hit me that this may be a problem at 3:30am. I called the charge nurse and found out it had not been issued.

:sad:
Sorry that the PT was painful and they didn't prescribe your aspirin..but really glad you are home.
Try not to worry too much (I know...easy for me to say)
The antibiotic protocol is common when there is any concern even before confirmation...a better safe than sorry scenario.
Please do not start comparing recoveries with anyone's...as we are all different and we often get to different places in recovery at different times.
Try to relax...do only what you must for now and keep the ice going.
Take your meds on time and stay ahead of the pain.
All temporary. Healing vibes coming your way.

I'm sorry you felt pushed by PT and are suffering as a result. Hard lesson learned and cold comfort, but you're in charge of your body, not them. Going forward if anything hurts, or feels uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to tell them you're not engaging. I hope with dedicated icing and rest, you feel better as the day progresses.
Wishing you comfort!
@Mutwa

You might not have any restrictions issued by your OS, but your body might tell you different. I'm sure the chance for dislocation still exists and in the first month or so is pretty high. Surprising they didn't recommend anything for an anticoagulant, my pre-op class covered that and my discharge instructions listed it. I used aspirin and Famatodine to protect my stomach.

Sorry your PT overdid it and you're suffering the effects. So wish everyone could find this site prior to their surgery so they know what to expect and that it's ok to say no, not doing it.

I agree that the antibiotics are a precautionary measure and would definitely rather be safe than sorry. For now I would listen to the OS and internal meds doc. Just keep watch on anything you're concerned about. Hopefully in your discharge instructions they put in them what temperature and other symptoms to watch for. If you have any worries I would recommend you call your OS office and someone from his team should be able to tell you if you need to come in or if it's normal. Wishing you a restful and peaceful day, get some sleep where you can.

Hii @Mutwa Oh dear, sorry to hear about the aspirin mess up. I think you've been walking and moving around, correct? That is what really helps keep your blood moving and soon you will have the aspirin in your hand,, thanks to your heroic wife.
Try not to worry and fret. I was told any fever less than 101 was ok. and I carried that temp for days and days. Its how my body reacts to having my femur hacked off, I suppose. Yes, that was an attempt at humour.
Mojo is so correct, you can't compare your surgery, your recovery or the OS's methods to anybody else. Some things are run of the mill, and other things are only relative to you and your situation.

I had my first hip replaced in 2015 and it was so different than this current one. I will admit I worried and fretted at times. Then one day things just begin to settle down.

I so wish I could give you a crystal ball to gaze into and see where you will be in about 3 weeks.

This shall pass.. take care, rest up.. keep in touch. We are here for you.:SUNsmile:

I so wish I had ordered the icing system, I struggled to keep up, too. I had mine done in the heat of summer. My goodness, they would melt so quickly.
Good luck! You will be fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom