Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

You could be sensitive to the adhesives on your steri-strips or dressings. Have you peeked to see what's going on there? Opioid pain meds made me extremely itchy, but moreso on my trunk and hips.
 
@Clipless, Only on Tramadol 50mg every 4 hrs. Itching seems to be less as time goes by. Saw therapist 1st time today. Thinks itching is from healing. I only have tape over incision which I can see thru, all looks OK except for some bruising. On recliner with icepack now, a little sore from therapy, but doing well
 
@Clipless, Only on Tramadol 50mg every 4 hrs. Itching seems to be less as time goes by. Saw therapist 1st time today. Thinks itching is from healing. I only have tape over incision which I can see thru, all looks OK except for some bruising. On recliner with icepack now, a little sore from therapy, but doing well
 
Had my first out patient therapy session yesterday. Seemed to go well, but had lots of discomfort overnight. Foot, ankle and knee all very achy. They did call last night to see how I felt, told them felt sore. Next visit tomorrow, will tell him to go easier, sleepless nights are no fun !!! Doing OK getting around the house. My little beagle follows me everywhere, even gets up with me overnight, so sweet
 
Therapy yesterday, hurting again today. Stressed out, forgot to renew Tramadol till last minute. Surgeon closed today & tomorrow for holiday. Pharmacy only open till 9 pm tonite. Called my primary care doctor. Waited 2 hours for him to write script to cover me for 5 days ! He closes at 1 pm today. I know I should have realized sooner, but not used to taking all these meds. Don't need all this extra stress right now
 
Hope everyone had a good Christmas. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks since surgery and I'm getting frustrated with sitting around already! I know this is what I need to be doing now so my knee can heal, but knowing it and liking it are 2 different things. Resisting the urge to do more than I should, I know better and I'm sure the feeling will pass. Iceing & elevating now as I am a little swollen. Sleeping much better than I did with my last TKR, 4 to ,5 hours at a time. This time seems to be going better than last, just need to remember not to push harder than I should at this point. Will call my surgeon next week about renewing my prescription for Tramadol, don't need that problem again! Overnight I usually take 2 extre strength Tylenol and that gets me thru till @ 9 AM when its time for breakfast & Tramadol. Hoping everyone else is doing well
 
Will be 1 month since my RTKR next week. Having a lot of discomfort still. Not only the knee, my lower back & upper thigh too. Wonder if it's sciatica from walking/sleeping in different way??? Since this is my 2nd TKR , I know all this will be better in a couple of months, trying to stay positive!!! See my surgeon next week.Looking forward to getting the tape covering my incision taken off. Tape has been on for almost a month now, getting pretty yucky. Also got some glitter on tape while opening x-mas gift, wait till he sees that !!! Any advice on lower back issue would be appreciated, wondering if I should try heating pad ???
 
I have a bad lower back (scoliosis) that has complained after each TKR. I think it's from spending extra time in bed, walking and sleeping differently, loss of core muscle tone, you name it. Yes, get yourself a heating pad! Sleep/rest curled on your side. Avoid exercises that you "feel" in your lower back, but gently work toward strengthening your core because a strong core helps to protect the spine. Swimming is great. Be sure to consult your doctor or physical therapist for information on safe exercises.
 
@Clipless,I have a heating pad. Will use it later on today after pt. Hopefully it will help some. I am only able to stay on my side , slightly curled for a few minutes at a time. Still hurts my knee even with pillow between knees. I'm sure I'll be able to stay on my side longer as time goes by. Need to work on getting stronger, just want to be careful about how I do that. Thanks for the advice
 
Karol, I am sorry you are having back pain. I agree with Diana about the heating pad. I get a backache if I sleep on my back, so I had to find a way to sleep on my side. I could not sleep with a pillow between my legs either. If I was sleeping on my left side (I had my right knee done) I put the operated leg on a bed pillow in front of the other leg and could sleep that way. I have just now gotten at 7 weeks, where I can sleep with my legs together. Also, I found if I stretched my back by leaning forward while sitting it helped. I hope you can find some relief.
 
@Timetolive, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try using the pillow the way you mentioned, hope it works. Will also use heating pad, can't do any harm. Saw the pt today, hurting some now. Probably pushed my knee a little more than necessary. Iceing & elevating now. This forum is so helpful. Just being able to speak to people who are dealing with the same issues makes this more tolerable. Happy New Year all
 
I'm one month past surgery today. Heating pad helped my lower back pain. Must've been from walking/sleeping differently. Having some problem now with constipation. Using Miralax for last 2 days. Has helped some, but not enough yet! Hopefully will get better soon. I know this is probably from the pain meds. I take 50 mg. Tramadol every 5 hours and overnight 2 extra strength Tylenol. Tried cutting out my 10 PM dose of Tramadol and took Tylenol instead. Big mistake !!! Woke up on pain overnight, needed Tramadol & lots of ice packs this morning. Calming down now, guess its still too early to cut down. Just hope the Miralax will counter the constipation from the Tramadol. Seems like I need to find the right combination to get through this. I see surgeon today, will talk to him about it. My GP thought I should only be on Tylenol starting last week, I'd like to see him do that after a knee replacement !!!
 
Karol, good luck at the OS. I took 2 stool softeners and Miralax every day I was on the pain meds. That was the only way I stayed "regular". I wish I had that problem now! You need to add your new surgery date to your signature. Did you take two extra strength Tylenol? I hope you can figure out what works for you.
 
@Josephine, Noticed that my RTKR date which is December 7th 2015 is not listed in my info. I'm not sure how to add this, can you help? Thanks
 
@Timetolive, Yes I took two Tylenol extra strength, guess that wasn't strong enough at this point. If Miralax alone doesn't solve my other problem I may need to add stool softener to the mix too! What type worked for you? On the addition of surgery date, if I can't figure out how to add it, I'll have my husband help me. He's better at computer stuff than I am.
 
Karol, I used a store brand of Colace. I would go ahead and start using them proactively. It is miserable.

At the very top right of this page, look for your name. Click on that. Then look for the "signature". Tap that and then you can edit and change whatever you want to. Good luck!
 
Thanks Josephine, I appreciate your help. Saw my surgeon earlier today. Removed tape (boy, did that feel good). Also took x-rays, everything looks good- yeah !!! So many ups & downs in recovery from this surgery. So grateful for this forum to have other people in the same boat to talk to. Resting tonight in my recliner with ice pack, feeling good. Dr. also suggested warm prune juice in addition to Miralax. Doesn't sound too tasty, but if it works I'll give it a try.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom