Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

Knees can go fast---it is called traumatic arthritis. Sometimes the smallest thing can precipitate the beginning of pain and disability. I was so worried that I would loose the use of my knee, that I had the TKR!! I thought I might miss a ski season!!

It is possible that your doctor might give you Syndics or another injection into your knee joint. They helped me avoid surgery for about a year or so.
 
Thanks for the info Celle. I'm sure things are still healing in my left knee from the replacement done in Feb. This year. My right knee is so painful I hardly notice the left side unless I move out the wrong way. Seeing surgeon Tuesday, will find out what the MRI of my right knee showed. Maybe another cortisone shot will help for awhile again. Hope I can put off surgery(if that's what's needed) till after the holidays. Unable to drive now, don't feel safe pressing on gas/brake as it hurts so much! Hate being so dependant on others. Had to ask my 80 year old mother-in-law to drive me to surgeons appt on Tuesday.
 
Hi Skigirl, I see you had both knees done about a year apart. Seems that may be my fate too. Maybe putting all the stress on the second knee while the first one heals makes it deteriorate faster. Hate sitting around not being able to go to the gym and do my normal activities, will have to practice patience for awhile I guess. Hope Tuesday gets here soon.At least after seeing my doctor I will know what's going on with this knee and have a plan of action.
 
@skigirl, saw surgeon yesterday. Got a cortisone shot. MRI showed torn meniscus & bone on bone. No wonder I've been in so much pain! He couldn't see the damage on x-rays, but MRI confirmed it. So I've scheduled a tkr on the right side for Dec 7th. Can't keep doing cortisone & want to enjoy life again. Trying to have s good attitude about all of this.
 
I had the same experience---I will say one thing. My second tkr was an easy recovery---I drove at day 8 and really had no pain (controlled by meds) and it just seemed to go fast.

However, I was skiing in Feb and I was so tired!! Then I looked at my calendar and I had had two major surgeries within a 12 month period---so be careful of the fatigue. I was amazed at how tired I was, even though the knee did not hurt!!
 
Hope my 2nd knee goes as well as yours did. I was thinking today that 2 surgeries in s year would take its toll. I'll try to be in the best shape I can going into it and try to rest a lot after the surgery is done. That's my plan, hope it works! I really hate not being able to drive, so hearing how quickly you got back on the road is very encouraging☺
 
Now that I've made the decision to go ahead with my right tkr trying to not be too worried about it. I like to plan ahead (a little controlling I guess), and a million things keep going around in my head! How long till I can drive, what about x-mas shopping, cards, tree? Yikes- I'm driving myself nuts!!! Need some camomile tea,maybe that'll help calm me down !!!
 
Maybe putting all the stress on the second knee while the first one heals makes it deteriorate faster...

My money's on this ^. Two years ago I was told I had "about 10 more years" on my right knee. So I had the left one replaced (it was far worse) and the right went downhill faster than the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
 
MY left knee troubles started when it was taking about 90% of the load after my right PKR failed suddenly. I was supposed to be non weight-bearing on my failed PKR, until it was revised almost 3 months later.
From then on, the left knee went downhill, until I had it replaced 3 years later.
 
I'm glad the cortisone shot helped. Hope it gets me thru till surgery on Dec 7th. Sounds like the second knee gives out quickly from all the added stress on it while dealing w.ith the first knee. Comforting to hear others had same problem and had 2 good knees when it was all over and healed. Thanks!!!
 
Cortisone injection still doing its magic. Maybe it won't get too bad before my tkr on my right knee. In some ways it's better knowing what to expect, in other ways, not so much!!! Need to have a tooth prepared for a crown tomorrow. That way it will be cemented in permanently in 2 weeks. Need to get that over with prior to surgery. Trying to keep optimistic and be on top of things as much as possible. Kinda wish it was all over with already!!!
 
On Monday, Dec 7th will have my RTKR. For some reason, this time I'm so stressed about it. I know I went thru this before and came through it fine, although it was no picnic!!! Do others feel this way the 2nd time around ? Thanks.
 
I did- I was more concerned about my general health the second time around due to some concerning pre-op lab results... nothing bad enough to delay surgery, but enough to put me in panic mode. Needless to say, I did fine, though I asked the anesthesiologist to keep an eye on my blood sugar, an action that was warranted because my blood glucose dropped very low during surgery and required intervention.
 
@karol723 , I am right behind you, having my 2nd knee replacement on Wednesday. I am more anxious about the cumulative (possible) side effects of having two major surgeries in 4 weeks than I am of the actual knee replacement.

@skigirl , I am so glad you said the 2nd knee replacement was easier. Given that my left quadriceps is so much stronger than the right, there is no reason to expect the actual knee replacement will not be even easier than the first, just worried about the possible double whammy side effects of the anesthesia, narcotics, etc.
 
@ksyak59,wow, only 4 weeks apart. At least I've had several months between. I will keep in touch with you in the coming weeks. Hope all goes well for both of us. Have heard the 2nd knee replacement often goes easier, so that's encouraging!!
 
@Clipless, have had some ear sensitivity. PA said looked a little red at clearance appt. Called her next day & she put me on antibiotics for 7 days to just be careful that something wasn't starting. Also said to take allergy pill. Called surgeon, they felt it was OK to go ahead with surgery. No pain with ear, just feels a little strange. Trying not to let my mind make me crazy, easy to do that!!!
 
It is good when the surgery is over and all the anxiety surgery engenders falls off our shoulders.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom