Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

Rocky Point is on Long Island, New York. We are about 60 miiles or so east of New York City.Hope when you see the gastro Dr on the 26th he has some answers for you. Hope you sleep well tonight
 
@Janis, Rocky Po oint is on Long Island, N.Y. It's about an hour and a half from New York City. Seeing my pt in about a half hour, hope its a good visit. Usually sore that night, but always able to move better by the next day. Wish there was a way to speed this up!!Hope you're doing well.
 
Karol, I hope your PT visit goes well. I always come home and ice after my PT even though we do it there. I have stopped PT and will just work at home now. You are right! It would be great to speed this recovery up. It surely is a long and drawn out affair.
 
You are right! It would be great to speed this recovery up. It surely is a long and drawn out affair.
Unfortunately, as you've both realised, there is no way that you can speed up this recovery. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Having a TKR is major surgery and it does take a long time for everything to heal completely.
 
Hi everyone, went out for dinner with my husband Bill last night. Felt so good to be out doing something normal. Feel like I'm making progress. We have so much snow here in N.Y., thinking of filling a ziplock bag with snow to use as an icepack. I'm sure it would wrap around the knee nicely ! Hope you're call having a good day.
 
I heard about all your NY snow- that's crazy! I actually love snow, but I guess I'd rather visit it than live in it. You are definitely making progress!
 
@Celle or @Josephine I have a tiny scab at the top of my incision Also gets a little red sometimes. PT said probably from internal suture ? I'm going to try to post a photo of it. If you could take a look, probably nothing to worry about, just want to be sure. Thanks

[Bonesmart.org] karol723's Recovery Thread
 
It looks fairly localised, but I'm going to leave the expert comment to Josephine!
 
Hi Karol! We had all that snow here in Nashville (although I don't think as much) but it's ALL gone now and we have temps in the 40s and sunshine. I also didn't realize what a long process this recovery can be. I've had 3 C-sections, a hysterectomy during which a disk in the thoracic area of my back, T-11 and T-12, ruptured. It was like having a knife in my back. The surgery was intense- had to go through the side, take part of a rib and use some of it for the fusion. Had a chest, ortho and neurosurgeon who said it was so close to spinal cord, I was lucky I wasn't paralyzed. Then 2 more back surgeries and was left with chronic pain. It was a horrible 3 years which is why I put this surgery off for a long time. None of those surgeries were as difficult to recover from as this one. And now I get a tear or sprain in a knee ligament possibly from a PT too eager to increase my rom. My incision is sensitive to the ice pak sometimes especially when the pad is at it's coldest but the itching went away pretty quickly. I have to have my right knee done and it is so stressed from having to do most of the work but I'm going to wait until I'm good with this one. Hope you continue to do well!
 
Yes, I think it looks quite local though there is a little inflammation. It might be an internal stitch emerging but those usually happen a little earlier than 7 weeks. However, leave it well alone and just watch it. It will likely settle down in a while
 
Ok Josephine, do you think putting a little bacitracin ointment on it is a good idea? Or just leave it alone ?
 
I'd be inclined to just leave it alone. Simply washing with soap and water should suffice.

I don't know if this applies generally, but one doctor told me that using antibiotic cream had been the cause of my later developing an allergy to one particular antibiotic. In any case, because of the rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria, the general advice nowadays is to limit the use of "just-in-case" antibiotics.
 
Karol, I saw on another thread that you have beagles. We are looking at adopting a 3 year old beagle. We have a 3 year old cat now. Any suggestions? Do yours live in the house? Are they easy to train? Anything I should know? We are taking him on trial - just to be sure he will get along with our cat, GiGi. GiGi has asthma and we can't be upsetting that. He is a cute little dog that was bred and raised by a man that competes rabbit dogs. He does not want to run with the pack, instead wanting to sniff everything, so they rehomed him to the lady I work for at the farm. The farm is too close to his previous home and he hears the pack running and keeps running trying to find them. So, I am going to see how it goes here with GiGi. We have been without a dog for 10 years. I am excited, worried, and apprehensive all at the same time! I hope you are doing well!
 
Hi Janis, hope you're doing well. Beagles are great little dogs, but they do require patience sometimes ! Being that the one you're considering adopting is 3 years old train shouldn't be too difficult. They are adorable and very smart. Mine has learned how to open the refrigerator, need to keep a small statue in front of door or I'd be out of food ! They do like to dig, and its important to secure your yard if they have access to it as they love to escape & follow their noses. My two, Daisy & Buddy have a doggie door that leads to our backyard. They live indoors, and can go outside when they want. I had another beagle before these two and I am hooked on this breed !! They are the sweetest, most loving dogs I have ever had. Let me know how it goes, good luck.
 
Karol and Janis @Timetolive A woman I work with at the Humane Society has trained and competed with her beagles for years. She has earned many agility and obedience titles with them. They definitely want to follow their noses but you can usually train around that.
 
@karol723 and @smarttoys : Karol and John, thank you for your reply. The beagle is a 13" purebred 2 year old. So far, so good. No howling or barking, just some whining. He ignores the cat. The cat is tiptoeing around him with her tail all fluffed up! Hysterical. The dog knows NO commands. He comes from a breeder who competes with beagles in rabbit trials and sells beagles. Charlie (not sure of his name yet) wanted to sniff more than run with the pack and would turn the pack back, so he was culled. The farm I work at had adopted him, but it is too close to the pack's farm and Charlie would try to run to them. He is unbelievably calm. Lots of work to leash train and obedience train. A good workout for my knee!
 
Beagles are very intelligent, Janis. Once he gets the idea, he should be very trainable.
Our NZ agriculture dept uses them as sniffer dogs at our airports, to detect contraband food
 
I'm so glad your outing went well! I had hoped it would! I've had two golden retrievers and they both lived to be 15. They were members of the family. I miss them terribly. We live on 50 acres and it can really feel isolated during the day. I want a smaller dog next and thought about getting a beagle. Did you get yours from a breeder or shelter?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom