Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

I am a bit over 3 months. Almost 4 months and I still get drained. I try to not do a lot and I do rest in between. Xxxx to you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
May have overdone it the last few days, hope that's all it is. Getting house ready for summer. Not a big house, but 31 windows got washed( half of them had curtains taken down, washed & rehung. Also we have a photography business and this iis busy time for us. Today my knee has been hurting and some swelloing above knee (muscle?). Icing with elevation now. Also have cut down on the amount of Tllenol extra strength I was taking. Maybe I just did too much too soon. Time will tell I guess.
 
May have overdone last few days. Will go back to resting more, icing & elevating 3 x daily. Hopefully will feel better again soon. Thanks Kneeper for the advice☺
 
Thanks Angel, good to know the energy drain continues for others too. I'm not very good at resting and staying still.Guess I'll need to work on that!!!
 
Will be 5 months post tkr soon. Leg still feels tight above knee , especially towards outside of leg. Not sure if this is the IT band I've read about? What does the I T stand for anyway??? Other than that, doing pretty well. Learning how to pace myself has helped. Will be going to the gym tomorrow.I plan to do upper body !achoimrs and maybe 10 momns on the treadmill. Hope it goes well. Looking forward to slowly getting my life back!
 
Hello Karol

As @kneeper said it's not unusual to feel worn out during this recovery. I'm glad you've stopped trying to tough it out. That suits some people but not others. I'm learning this time around that I have to be patient and take things easy as they come.

I am not medically qualified or anything but I think your pain control meds still need to be taken for a while longer. It could be the pain that's making you so tired. If you need the Tylenol then it makes sense to take it and be out of pain. That seems to indicate it's too soon to cut them back drastically if you're still getting pain.

Plus I suspect you may be overdoing it with the house. Is there no one that could perhaps help you? My best friend came the other day and watered my back garden! My daughter came and cleaned and cooked a roast dinner. It's hard to sit back but I've had to learn to.

Is your diet ok? Tbh I think a visit to your local doctor might be in order and have a chat about this fatigue. I have to say that with my 1st TKR I was permanently tired. However. I was a bit anaemic xx

Good luck with your recovery. Wishing you all the best
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Based upon my experiences over the last two days, I think @NanaMoon 27 might be right about pain and fatigue. Yesterday, I forgot my afternoon Tylenol, and I felt okay. Today, I decided to skip it, and this evening I was exhausted. Napped in the recliner on ice for a couple hours. I could feel my energy seeping back in as if there was a gauge behind my eyelids. I did nothing today except a doctor appointment this morning. I chalk it up to skipping the afternoon Tylenol dose two days in a row. I guess I'm not ready yet.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Neither am I. But I know I should and really have to. So I do. Because I don't want to hurt self. And be using all my energy for something some one else can do.

Back in December I had a partial. I try to cook clean etc. ugh not a chance. I had pain strain and weird actions of knee.

Oh it got mad at me and caused me a lot problems. I ended up have revision. Not fun. But it's better. Each day is new experience I'm 5 months on the 2'd


So must slack down. Let u body heal.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Will be 5 months post tkr soon. Leg still feels tight above knee , especially towards outside of leg. Not sure if this is the IT band I've read about? What does the I T stand for anyway??? Other than that, doing pretty well. Learning how to pace myself has helped. Will be going to the gym tomorrow.I plan to do upper body !achoimrs and maybe 10 momns on the treadmill. Hope it goes well. Looking forward to slowly getting my life back!



My revision was on March 2. You got one ahead of me. I can't do a treadmill. But I can do a bike and eltipital. And never could before. Yeh slowly getting life back. And defiant pace self. It don't pay to be in a rush. Just causes hassle.

My leg still fills tight I stay swollen and I have trouble bending and extension.

But I don't let that get to me. We all will make it. Xxxx good luck. My mom says I act like a Jack Russell. Alsways on the go hyper. I said not this time. And I'm not a dog. She said well when u get started u don't stop till your crying in pain. I said yeh lol. But I do set down a lot. She smiles lol..


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Bonesmart has helped me stay sane through all this. I still take 2 Tylenol xstrength in the a.m. and 2 Tylenol PM at bedtime. Was able to stop afternoon dose without any problem. Fatigue seems to be less as long as I remember to rest. I was able to go to the gym this morning. Only did 3 upper body machines, 10 mins on treadmill & 5 mins on bike. I needed it as much for my head as my body!!! Made sure to ice as soon as I got home. As far as home, my husband helps a bit, and I have someone come in every other week for heavy stuff like washing floors,etc. Just trying to find the right balance between resting & getting back to normal activity. If the fatigue returns, I plan to see my doctor and get it checked out. Getting to the gym & seeing people today really lifted my spirits, wonder if the tired feeling was from getting a little depressed??? This sure is a long process!!
 
Hi @karol723

Wow you're doing well at the gym. Absolutely brilliant. You could be right about the tiredness being due to depression x still worth getting it checked though if it persists x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
My new knee is coming along nicely. As long as I ice & elevate a couple of times a day, and don't overdo it, I'm OK. Only thing scaring me now is the twinges of pain on my other knee!!! Don't want to go through all this again for awhile at least!!! See surgeon on July 28th, will have him take a look. Maybe a cortisone shot will help for now, I sure hope so. So nice to have you guys to talk to. Only someone who has gone through this can understand the fears & frustrations.
 
Anyone out there get pains along scar line after being 5 months post-op??? Was standing for about 45 mins. when it started. Kinda comes on every now & then Iceing & elevating now, seems to be helping. Could this possibly e nerves in that area healing? Every time something different happens with my new knee it worries me. Any comments would be appreciated. Pains are kind of like pin prick feeling, if that helps.
 
I am at nearly 4 months and my scar has been more sensitive, feels good to rub in lotion. I can feel all 4 of the pads when I get the buzzy machine at PT now, at first I could feel 2, then the next one was sensitive so I had to watch how high the machine was set and now I can feel all 4! Guess I won't be completely numb over the area forever after all. I hope that is the reason for the tiny twinges going on around there anyway.

My other knee was just FINE until the PA told me it looked bad with bone on bone and bone spurs. NOW it is easy to land wrong and owie. Thanks so much Mr. M.! My PT tells me I am compensating more on the left than the right now as well. Two against one, doesn't look good for left knee! Left leg still has more ROM and is much stronger overall though.
 
That sounds like nerves regenerating to me. Mine gets prickly at odd times. Sometimes sharply so and sometimes mildly. Always an adventure!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks for. The responses Kyata & Polar Bear 60, feel better knowing others have had similar feelings on their scar area. It does feel like a nerve type of sensation. Now I won't worry about it so much of it happens now & then. Also sounds like many of us need the other knee done eventually, not looking forward to that, but at least would know what to expect next time. Stay well all☺
 
Not sure I'm posting in the correct place, but here goes! My knee replacement (left knee) doing well. However, my right knee has become a horror!!! Got so bad so fast. Surgeon said x-rayd didn't look that had, but because of pain had me have an MRI. Won't see Dr. again till Tues., so much pain I'm using a cane& advil, Tylenol & ice. Feel mad at my own body!!! Not looking forward to what's ahead again. Hope I can get some feedback, anyone else have similar story? Seems like this knee took the fast lane to hell! Help!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom