Guest viewing is limited

TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

Thanks Janis, If Miralax and warm prune juice don't do the trick ii will try the Colace. I really can't cut down on the pain meds yet, tried that & it didn't go well. Hope you're doing well with your healing.
 
Karol, I hope the Poop Fairy :chuckmarch: comes to visit - but doesn't stay! I am glad things went well at the doctor's office. Every day you get through is one less you have to go through! One day these new knees will not even be thought of!
 
@Timetolive, the Miralax finally did its thing, almost too well! I'm sure things will settle down eventually. Starting to feel those little improvements we all look forward to. I was able to do a full rotation on the bike at pt last week, made me feel so good to see some progress. Also slept well last night, such a blessing!!! Hope you're doing well.
 
Karol, that is good news! Don't wait until things "back up" to take it again. Are you taking a stool softener regularly? Good job on the full rotation AND the sleep!! I go in jags of good sleep and insomnia, but I have been doing that since menopause. It is just worse now since I am so stinking tired all the time! Between the healing and the chronic diarrhea from the diverticulitis attack, I am worn out! Thanks for asking!
 
@Josephine, Wondering how to determine how much longer I will need to keep going to pt ? I'm doing well, but don't want to stop too early either. I've had some itching on the knee for the past few days.Seems more itchy if any clothing is touching the knee. Sometimes along whole incision, other times across whole top of knee. Could this be nerves healing ? Incision looks great, healed up nicely. Have been putting Eucerine skin calming creme on s couple of times a day. Also was able to do full rotation on bike at pt last week, yipee !!!
 
Am I doing something incorrectly? Can't seem to find my posts & they don't show up on most recent list? Help please!!!!
 
Thanks, maybe it was something on my end. Was hoping to hear from Josephine on the question about itching....
 
Wondering how to determine how much longer I will need to keep going to pt ? I'm doing well, but don't want to stop too early either. I've had some itching on the knee for the past few days.Seems more itchy if any clothing is touching the knee. Sometimes along whole incision, other times across whole top of knee. Could this be nerves healing ? Incision looks great, healed up nicely. Have been putting Eucerine skin calming creme on s couple of times a day. Also was able to do full rotation on bike at pt last week, yipee !!!
There is really no clear cut answer as to how long you need to go to PT---I had to go to PT a bit longer than others as I had some goals in getting back out onto the baseball field and calling balls and strikes, so there were some "sport-specific" regimens that I still needed to do. Talk to your OS and to your PT---there comes a time when life is your PT and it is time to move on.

The itching is normal---tissue healing and knitting together, and it can get a bit irritated or over-sensitized when clothing rubs against it. It will subside in time.

As for the bike and the rotation on the pedals, that is a big :thumb::thumb::wow: as you are making progress---it is these little victories that add up to being fully recovered in the end.
 
@Timetolive, hope you're doing better. My mother-in-law has episodes of diverticulitis so I can sympathize with you. Hope you're starting to feel better. It must be difficult figuring out what to eat. I made it through last night for the first time with no pain meds. Felt OK this morning, didn't know what to expect when I first woke up, glad it was painless. Still can't tolerate anything touching my new knee while sleeping, so I just leave it out of the covers. Hope we will both be a lot better in a few months. Then we can enjoy the summer !!! Need to keep looking forward!
 
Anybody else experience itching along incision 2 weeks post-op ???
Do you still have the itching? Sometimes it's just part of the healing process. Sometimes you could have reacted slightly to something that was put on your skin.

To de-sensitise the scar, start touching it with some soft material, then gradually increase the thickness and roughness of the material. If the incision is completely healed you can try rubbing some moisturising cream on it - anything to get it used to being touched.

By the way, if you want Josephine or any other member of the staff to answer a question, you tag them. Just put the @ sign in front of their name, with no spaces, but be sure to leave a space before the @ and after the name. Like this: @Celle . This might help:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
I see you were having trouble finding your thread -
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Thanks Celle. Itching comes & goes so I'm sure it's not anything to worry about. Probably healing and that tape was left on for a month. I have sensitive skin so that probably irritated it a bit too. All this sitting around makes one think too much !
 
Thanks Karol. Have you tried wrapping your knee in Saran Wrap at night. I do it for the achiness, but others do it for sensitivity. There is a video talking about it. I was skeptical, but finally tried it last week and it is great. It really helped me sleep.
 
Yes, Janis, I tried the saran wrap, didn't work for me. The itching seems to be less often. I've been trying to desensitize it by messaging it and moisturizing cream helps too. How are you feeling, better I hope ! I've been walking out to the mailbox (using my cane) last couple of days. Feels good to be outside, even tho its cold here on Long Island.
 
It is nice to get outside! I am massaging my knee and using a good lotion on it. It does help make it less sensitive. I never thought I would be able to put a pair of jeans on, but I have! There are lots of different zingers, itching, pain, and odd feelings that keep happening as things wake up or reconnect. It is an odd thing for sure. How is your left knee now? Any pain or swelling in it?

I still am the same, but I am getting used to it and planning my days around it. I have two more weeks until my appointment with gastro. Thanks for asking.
 
My left knee is doing a lot of work while the right one heals, so it gets a little sore now & then. I make sure I also massage that one so it doesn't feel neglected !! Great news about getting into jeans, must've felt so good. I am still in gym clothes or sweatpants. Probably have put on a few pounds too, so jeans will be a double challenge. I know what you mean about all the different feelings and pains we encounter. Because this is my second knee replacement I don't worry about every little feeling as much as I did with the first one. Hope your feeling OK. Too bad you need to wait another 2 weeks to see your gastro doc. Hope the time goes by quickly.
 
@karol723, how are you today? I had a terrible time at PT and have been a lazy bug today. There seems to be a fine line between working the knee and killing the knee. Ha! I hope you have a pleasant evening.
 
Hi Janis, sorry you had a tough time at pt. Sometimes after a tough workout the next day I see an improvement in how I'm walking. As you said, its a fine line !!! I'm doing OK today, probably because I slept well last night. Still feel exhausted by the end of the day, usually start going downhill around dinnertime. So I try to do easy dinners, or take- out, and not much else after that. If I push I get cranky & frustrated, no point in that !!!
 
Janis, hope your gastro problems are improving. Will you be seeing your gastro doctor soon, I hope so. I've had some gastro issues in the past, it's difficult to work your day around it and try to have a normal day. Also deciding what to eat and not eat is a pain. Hopefully this will pass for you soon.
 
@karol723, I see the gastro dr. On the 26th. Thank you for telling me you had the problems also - that is exactly right - working your day around it and trying to figure out what to eat is a ROYAL pain! Thanks for asking. I hope you are having a pleasant evening. BTW, where is Rocky Point? I never know to say morning or evening! Hahaha!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom