TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear things are going okay for you, Jo. Keep on keeping on...those quads will be back!! As another poster stated earlier, you have a pain free, limp free life to look foward to...what a blessing!! Hope you continue to rest well. "RIPE" is the word of the day....rest, ice, pain control, and elevate.:thumb:
 
Thanks Kat, It is really good to be home with my hubby and my dog. I am being very well looked after, he served up a wonderful meal this evening that I actually ate, my appetite has been right off. It started before the op and has continued, I'm not complaining though! I know it's early days but I'm doing ok. The Cryo cuff is definitely my good friend and my raised toilet seats - and also Bonesmart :thumb:

Thanks Greda for your encouragement, I will have to try and be patient, my husband does keep telling me this. I am so pleased it is done, the waiting was awful for me and I got really stressed towards the end - a nightmare for everyone around me! I know so many challenges await me but I will tackle them when they arise.
 
Jo,

So glad to hear you are home and doing well. I kept waiting to see a post from you and it came yesterday and I was not on here due to an appointment I had.

Rest easy and know all that you are feeling, quad, swelling, appetite etc. are all pretty normal and most of us have been thru it at least once.

Post away with any questions or just post away and let us know how things are going. Again glad you are home.
 
Hey Jo
I am so glad to hear the surgery went well and you are dong ok. You are going to do great. Being home always makes things better. Prayers to you
 
Jo,

Getting rest at this stage is awesome. It does seem to take a while before you're a bit more independent in terms of getting around and that will clearly come with time.

You've heard the advise of resting, icing, etc., and all of those things are important, but I still think the best treatment at this point includes at least two of the following:

Mint Milanos with hot chocolate and whipped cream (you can substitute Walker's butter shortbread cookies)

Lindt Truffles (again with hot chocolate or your choice of beverage)

Frozen Reeses peanut butter cups (I would check with one of the moderators regarding the number of servings as I believe that these may contain calories):th_heehee:

Take care ...
 
Nope....absolutely NO CALORIES are contained in medicinal chocolate used during recovery.:biggrin: I heartily recommend it!!!!
 
Ha ha Dale, that really made me giggle this morning, I shall put my order into the catering department - thanks.

Thanks Rose and Mary for your kind words. Lots of questions will be coming I'm sure and updates.
 
Not such a good day so far, not feeling that great. I woke up feeling fine and got myself to the bathroom and then ate half a slice of toast and cup of tea, took Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, then started to feel strange. Had a gurgling stomach, got up had a bm, gentle exercises and a little walk. Back to bed with ice and fell asleep for about an hour. Woke up and felt a bit better and had a walk around, then small amount of soup and tablets again. Also, I keep burping and i feel like my heart is beating too fast? Still don't feel how I have felt the last few days - any ideas from anyone? I don't feel like chatting to anyone on the phone either - wondering what's going on with me.

I am taking aspirin once a day with lansoprazole (stomach tablet) - I have wondered if that could be having an effect on me? So annoying as I thought I was doing ok :sigh:
 
Hi Jo,

Could be nervous reaction to everything you've been through, could be a reaction to the drugs you had in hospital, could be a plain old winter bug!

I'd suggest putting a call in to your GP if you are worried or frightened. If I call mine and leave a message with the secretaries she usually replies within a couple of hours. You have enough to worry about with your knee at the moment so get some reassurance if you need it.

Remember - recovery doesn't necessarily go in a straight line - but as long as the average is upward it won't matter in a few months.
 
Thanks Deeden for the advice. It's a strange thing but in the last 1/2 hour I have got my more normal feel about me. My husband even said that he could tell I was feeling a little better, so hopefully just one of those recovery issues that may come and go.
 
Glad you are better. You may want to eat more than a half a piece of toast before your medications.
 
Good to see you are moving along in recovery. A few bumps here and there are to be expected. I agree with Pumpkin about taking meds with something in your stomach. I have many stomach problems ( could never take anything but tylenol 3 for pain). I also had to take gram crackers and milk with meds between meals to keep them down.

You are doing really well, hang in there.:biggrin:
 
Jazyb, what you describe I found quite normal. I was on a straaaaange planet for maybe 10 days post surgery. I wouldn't worry about a thing.
 
I will definitely take the advice about more food in my stomach before the meds as I have had the burps for most of today - thanks ladies :thumb:

Thanks for the reassurance Roy, I hate feeling out of it - glad it's normal :thumb:
 
Hi Jo, I agree the meds can make you feel a bit weird and are definitely a bit hard on the stomach. I took Zantac every day while on the narcotics but also felt a bit bloated and 'windy' :th_heehee: Also the anaesthetic is still in your system and can have odd effects. Try to relax (easier said than done I know), call your doctor if you're worried and I'm sure he'll be able to reassure you. Keep us posted.
 
Hi Jo,

Sounds like you have landed softly on "the other side" and are doing quite well. I hope you continue to enjoy your home, hubbie,and dog as you recover gently. And I hope that I sound as good as you do when I get there.

Right now, I feel like I'm about the enter the Twilight Zone...it's countdown...I know I'm in for some big changes very soon and this feels like the quiet before the storm. Maybe I should take a nap.

Dori
 
I agree with the others, you sound perfectly normal. :wink1: And just when I was starting to feel a little normal, my 24 year old son told my husband he didn't want to talk to me because I sounded like I was drugged out. Well, duh! :DOH: Even though I didn't feel like I was, apparently I sounded like I was! :th_heehee:

Take care! Make sure you rest, it is the best thing you can do at this stage!!
 
Dori, The waiting is almost over for you. I shall be thinking of you during the next few days and looking forward to comparing notes with you. Good and positive wishes to you xxxx

Thanks Goodasnew and Kat, good to know my buddies put it down to the drugs :rolleyespink: More food in the stomach for me and I'm already taking the tummy pill that is prescribed. When I think of all the drugs that were pumped into me in hospital it's not surprising that I am having some effects. They had big problems finding any drugs that suited me in hospital - there always has to be a difficult one!!
 
Jo, is there some reason why you are on Paracetamol and Ibuprofen and not a regular prescription medication? That seems a bit odd to me considering you are only about a week out from your TKR. Also, when reading your post above, it sounded like you might be taking a dose of the pills too frequently. What schedule are you on?

You are already taking the aspirin and normally it's not a good idea to take ibuprofen along with that.
 
Hi Jo....It's been 7 1/2 weeks for me and this is truly the first week where I have felt "normal". No head fogginess, energy level is consistent and I'm sleeping again - yay! So, the moral of this post is: it'll come with time (as everyone else has said). That's not to say that some days absolutely suck (Momma told me there'd be days like this). Hey (I'm not too proud), 3 weeks in I found myself literally crying to my wife because everything thing just hit the fan (change in life, pain, inability to control things, lack of sleep, etc.). What a catharsis that proved to me (I'm not much of a crier, it felt great). You're officially part of the groovy gang. :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom