TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there Jo. And nap whenever you feel like it! The swelling and stiffness and bruising, etc,etc. are normal. You will also find that you won't be able to lift your leg up off the bed for a while (maybe 2 weeks). That too is normal and will pass.
 
Your knee is the boss from here on out. As long as your pain is being managed and your OS is happy with your progress you are well ahead of the game.
 
Wow, I am overwhelmed at all your responses of encouragement- thankyou. This forum is the best tool ever for anyone undergoing knee surgery, I feel so reassured knowing how I am feeling is normal and coming to terms with the fact that my knee is in charge - not me!!

I had a good night again and slept for about 6 hours. I hate that first trip to the bathroom when my knee has really stiffened up but I take it very slow and enjoy the fact I am moving. Baby steps. My hubby is great with the Cryo-cuff and getting it sorted for me - he has been amazing with me; he has the patience of a saint (hope it lasts :th_heehee:)

I will be back later.
 
Richkat2 - Not being able to move my leg in and out of bed is horrible and took me by surprise. My quads are dead at the moment and I had forgotten that can happen with knee op's. I am wondering how long that takes to get back to normal. I did so much work on them before the op that I really thought it wouldn't happen to me - wrong! Thanks for your comments and I love your picture.
 
How lovely to see you back on here, although you are concerned, everyone is giving good and helpful advice, as always. You have done it and through to the other side. Very well done you - I am in awe :yay:
 
Welcome back Jo! So glad to hear you're back home and being looked after! I sent you a post this morning before I rushed off to work, just finished it and my laptop went dead!:hissyfit: So, now I'm home again and hopefully this one will actually go! As the others have said, don't worry about the swelling - that will be with you for a while, just rest, ice and elevate and gradually it will come down.

Wishing you a completely boring, uneventful recovery!:flowerysmile:
 
Hi Jo and welcome to the other side! Keep raising questions and you will get answers here. Personally, getting advice and feedback from all the veterans here has provided a huge amount of comfort and reassurance that what was happening to me was to be expected. Patience, patience and more patience! You will get there. At almost 5 months I still need to remi d myself that my recovery continues on.

Take care and keep us posted!

Dawn
 
I had a good night again and slept for about 6 hours.
Six hours you JAMMY CO(ahem) I am very pleased for you that you are able to sleep so well after such a short time, good news.
I hate that first trip to the bathroom when my knee has really stiffened up but I take it very slow and enjoy the fact I am moving.
Being able to move at all under your own power so early is really good.
My hubby is great with the Cryo-cuff and getting it sorted for me
It will greatly help with the stiffness if you're anything like me.

Sounds like you're doing really well, great innit? And you can lie back, have grapes peeled for you, watch telly, do fanny adams and, for once, be at the same time smug that you're doing the correct thing for recovery.
 
Welcome back Jo, congratulations on your new knee. I am due my 6 week review with the surgeon tomorrow. I was the same as you and my quads didnt work for around 10 days, one day they didnt move and the next it just happened so don't worry about it. I am so pleased you are sleeping so well, I have only managed to sleep the night right through (about 6 hours) for the past three days, and what a difference that has made. I am still working on flexion, which is at 90 degrees but last week was only 83, but my swelling is really beginning to go down now and the flexion improves as the swelling goes down, lots and lots of icing and elevation really helps, I was very naughty the first 2 weeks and tried to do too much, but Josephine set me on the right path and I slowed down and I have come on leaps and bounds just with resting, elevating and using ice oh and laughing at Roy's posts, he is so funny and I admire that as he has had BOTH knees done. Jamie and Tykey and all of the regulars on here have been fabulous, as were you when I first joined and you were one of the first to encourage me. So pleased to see you here and hope your recovery is smooth but OMG just think you have a whole new knee and in a few short months we will be able to do all the things we havent been able to do for a long time, I look forward to following your progress Jo

Linda
 
Glad to see you back Jo, good luck with your recovery. Listen to all these post op kneebies her, rest ice, elevate. Will be thinking about you:prayer1:
 
Roy you always make me laugh with your comments ... grapes getting peeled - I may be pushing it with that request :th_heehee: thanks for your encouragement.

Linda - I can't believe you are at 6 weeks, that's amazing! Good luck for tomorrow. That's good to know about your quads, I hate the fact they don't work, it makes me feel vulnerable and not sure footed. I am taking it very easy the next few days. I shall be here asking many questions (be warned).
 
Regarding swelling, it will be with you for a few months ,if you are like me. I am now almost 4 months post-op and in the last three days my swelling has reduced considerably:yes 4:. I must admit that, in a way, it feels a bit strange without it, it seems to have become a part of me!
 
Hi Jo
Welcome to this side. You've got the right attitude so I'm sure you will be fine. I'm going back to have my second knee done on Friday - it will be the three month anniversary of my first knee! So I hope to be right behind you and back posting next week.
Diane
 
Welcome back, jazyb--and on the other side! Sounds like you are doing just fine. 6 hours of sleep at a crack is great at this point. Don't worry, the quad will wake up--remember no matter how good of shape you were in, it's been through a trauma.
Sounds like you have a good helper for the rest, ice, elevate protocol. Put more colorfully by Roy, of course! :hysterical:
 
Hi Diney, I didn't know you were having your other knee done, I must have missed that. Although, I had deliberately not been over this side as much recently as I was getting a little nervous. I wish you all the best for Friday, at least this time around you know what to expect. Good wishes.
 
The "dead" quads definitely do take you by surprise, especially because, at least in my case, it didn't kick in until about day 5 or so. I don't think there's much you can do about it. It comes back to life in about 2 weeks. Really!
Glad you like my pic. Those are our "girls" Sienna & Cheyenne in their winter coats.
 
Jo, so glad to see you on the "good" side!! :friends: I have been watching for your post, but had a guest yesterday and missed it. It is good to be home isn't it? Everything you are experiencing seems like a distant memory for me, it will for you before long too! (But when I think about it, it also feels like yesterday. :rolleyespink: ) Looking forward to hearing more from you. :thumb:
 
Glad your surgery was uneventful and hope your recovery will be the same. Try to be patient -- I know that is hard. Glad your husband is helping.
Take care,
Greda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom