TKR Jeffs new left knee"

You have to remember that your knee sustained major traumatic surgery---two bones were sawed off, things were filed, pounded, glued, and then you were finally sewn up. It will be swollen for quite some time, so take it easy and take it gently---you cannot rush things and the swelling will go down when the knee is calmer.

Again---this is normal. The harder yo try to bend it at this stage of recovery, the more you will aggravate the knee.

It took me about four months for the swelling to be totally gone---five months before the swelling was completely all gone---80%-85%---and eight months before I was close to 90%-95%-100%. This recover gig is slow and it can be frustrating---so you ice, elevate, and rest and let the surgical knee calm down---and slowly the stiffness and the swelling will dissipate.
So if I think that I'm gonna be walking and running in about 2 to 3 months and bending at 100% then I'm thinking wrong? ??

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
You may be walking in that time Jeff - but running I really doubt.
 
So if I think that I'm gonna be walking and running in about 2 to 3 months and bending at 100% then I'm thinking wrong? ??
You will walking by then---not sure about running---and many of us were instructed not to run---that is up to you----but getting full ROM at three months is probably going to be a bit "iffy."

You may be one of the ones that heal and recovery very quickly---but most of us were on the slow road and recovery took longer than we were prepared for.

I was back in the classroom walking around at eight weeks---which was much too early, as I was stiff, sore, and exhausted at the end of the day.

One of the most frustrating aspects of a TKR or a BTKR recovery is the length of time that a recvoery can take---it qill require a great deal of patience, too.
 
Jeff, I am guessing you were using humor when you said that about walking and running in 2-3 months! Ha! It is S L O W. You are doing good taking care of your personal needs and climbing the stairs. Are you home alone yet?
 
Jeff, I am guessing you were using humor when you said that about walking and running in 2-3 months! Ha! It is S L O W. You are doing good taking care of your personal needs and climbing the stairs. Are you home alone yet?
Lol, yes I'm home alone. Cook and clean and mop and walking the stairs

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Jeff, I found I could trail run -more like an easy jog- about 8 months after my first TKR. I had to shelve the trail running because my other knee was failing fast, but now that both knees are replaced I hope to return to it in 2016. Note that my distances are neither ultra or marathon, but perhaps a mile or two to an overlook and then back. I would not consider running on pavement or concrete except to cross a busy street and/or make evasive maneuvers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, I found I could trail run -more like an easy jog- about 8 months after my first TKR. I had to shelve the trail running because my other knee was failing fast, but now that both knees are replaced I hope to return to it in 2016. Note that my distances are neither ultra or marathon, but perhaps a mile or two to an overlook and then back. I would not consider running on pavement or concrete except to cross a busy street and/or make evasive maneuvers.
That's a awesome praise report. I just want to get back close to normal. 2 hips and one knee done. I got one knee left to go.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
The other thing to remember, Jeff, is that recovery from a knee replacement is harder and slower than recovery from a hip replacement. As you've had hip replacements, do beware of expecting your knee recovery to be on the same time scale.
 
The other thing to remember, Jeff, is that recovery from a knee replacement is harder and slower than recovery from a hip replacement. As you've had hip replacements, do beware of expecting your knee recovery to be on the same time scale.
I an aware of this now. It's a total different process. I'm steal healing from hips replacement.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I'm still healing from hips replacement.
You are right there Jeff. In a very short space of time you have had 3 major surgeries. Be patient - your body is putting every ounce of energy into healing. You'll get there!
 
You are right there Jeff. In a very short space of time you have had 3 major surgeries. Be patient - your body is putting every ounce of energy into healing. You'll get there!
Yes, my body has been through a lot. I just didn't think it would be this hard. My PT told me today that I'm making progress and she said the first two weeks s very important in a knee replacement surgery.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Just don't let PT push you. PT should never be painful. And there is no time limit for improving your range of motion with that knee. Pushing will only result in more swelling.
 
Just don't let PT push you. PT should never be painful. And there is no time limit for improving your range of motion with that knee. Pushing will only result in more swelling.
I told her that. She said I got two week window time frame before my knee get stiff. I told her Monday the same thing. I keep hearing everyone saying it could take up to a year for total healing..I been down to long for a set back to happen

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
She said I got two week window time frame before my knee get stiff.
Then she has no experience with TKR. This is simply wrong. If you push your knee will get very stiff and swollen. Tell PT to back off or ask for someone with more experience.
 
Okay, I will I been thinking of asking for someone else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
That sounds awful. No pain meds first night home? I can't imagine how you did it. Hope you are resting comfortably now.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom