TKR Jeffs new left knee"

Good morning! Just checking in on you to see how your night went. I read on the other thread you may go home today! It will be nice to get home in your own surroundings. Have you got everything all set up? Someone staying with you? Good luck on the walking!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Timetolive, yes I got my brother staying with me. I'm gonna have a nurse and a rehabilitation therapist come by. But me going home depends on how far I can walk today. I'm still nervous and little scared.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
If it is any consolation, I went home th eday after and have done fine with that aspect of my recovery. My husband was here and helped me with everything I needed. Having your brother there, the nurse and rehab coming by will be comforting having a second (and third) set of eyes on you. If you don't get to come home today, all wiil be well - in God's time.
 
Thanks i appreciate it. It gives me inspiration to hear this. I'm so glad it's over. How did you feel when your nerve block went away? ??

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Jeff, I am not the best person to answer anything about pain meds. I am very sensitive to narcotics and it took until the next day to find the right combination for me. I had extreme nausea. I do know that you should tell the nurses when you START to feel your pain escalating and not let it get ahead of you. Ring the nurses if you are on a schedule if they don't bring your meds on time.
 
After the nerve blocks wore off the oxycodone pills didn't cut the pain much. I needed Toradol pushed through the IV to get me over the hump, then the oxycodone worked just fine.
 
Timetolive has it right - stay ahead of the pain. Take your meds around the clock as prescribed. So happy your knee is done and dusted! Now on with the healing!
 
Now that you have your own recovery thread, I will give you the articles from our library that we recommend to those who are post op. I hope all goes well--it sounds like you have a great start.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Jeff, skigirl didn't realize you already had a recovery thread when she created one for you with posts you had placed in someone else's recovery thread. So I have merged the thread she created with your original one. Now all your updates for your recovery are located here. This makes it much easier for us to check back and see what's been going on should you have a question or concern. Please continue to use this thread for progress reports. We definitely want to know how you're doing!
 
Yes pain is under control and I'm out the hospital at theb pharmacy trying to get my medicine. So far so good. I'm tired often and very tired at times. How are you doing my friend ?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
How has your day gone? Pain under control? Walk?
I also walked got dressed and got out the Bed on my own. what's the signs of the nerve Block wearing off???

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Glad your pain is under control and that you're on the way home! Be sure to stay on top of those pain meds and ice, ice, ice!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Jeff, the signs of the nerve block wearing off are a significant increase in your pain. It took less than 24 hours for mine to wear off. Afterwards, initially, I was only on 10 mgs of Oxy, that wasnt strong enough. Then they gave me Toradol pushed through my IV and I was fine. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and I had help at home. The best advice I can give you is to stay on top of your pain. Don't hesitate to ask your surgeon for something stronger if needed. Please respect this process, the beginning will have you miserable from the pain, lack of 2 and constipation. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I am glad you are out of the hospital. All settled in at home?

Be sure you take your pain meds. Make yourself a schedule and stick to it! I downloaded the app Pill Reminder from Drugs.com on my iPhone. With so many different things to take at all different times, it has really helped me stay on track. When I came home, I had 8 different things to take all on their own schedule. I tried the pencil and paper, but the alarm reminded me and my husband or daughter that I needed to take something.

Also, if you have not started already: TAKE YOUR STOOL SOFTENERS AND MIRALAX!! Or whatever they told you to take. You will be miserable if you don't!

I had a good day at PT. I am now 3 weeks and 1 day out. I can now help with some of the cooking, am totally independent with personal care, doing VERY light housework (putting the laundry from the washer to dryer, carrying stuff to put up, etc.) and feeling more "normal". I still have pain and swelling, but each day is a little bit better. Thank you for asking about me.

May your evening be blessed.
 
Great to hear it went well & you are home already.

I wussed out & stayed two nights due to pain.
 
I missed checking in on Bonesmart yesterday. I'm happy to read that so far your pain is well controlled and you're going home. Don't forget to let people help you. :)
 
Hi Jeff, glad you're home now and resting. I saw on another thread that you have concerns about no CPM at home? Don't worry about it- recent studies indicate no overall benefit from CPM vs. not using it at all. I had CPM in the hospital for both of my TKR's, but it was removed so often for various reasons that I hardly got any use from it. I had CPM at home for 3 weeks after my LTKR last year, but I decided not to rent one for my recent RTKR. And guess what? My right knee is making good progress, with better bend, less overall swelling and less pain compared to my left knee's recovery.

Do bend your knee a few times every hour or so and you should do well. At first I would "assist" my heel slides with my other foot, which helped a lot, then rested it on a leg elevator/wedge. I sort of enjoyed the movement + elevation of the CPM machine after my first surgery, but I want you to know that you'll recover just fine without it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also walked got dressed and got out the Bed on my own. what's the signs of the nerve Block wearing off???

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Wow. You are getting up on your own!

When block wears off.. you can feel more. On my case..Lots of pain from surgery. Ice sensation where before I could not.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom