TKR Jeffs new left knee"

There is absolutely no truth to that.

There is no "window of opportunity." you can gain ROM upwards to a year, and beyond.
Thanks for that. Had me worried

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I gained ROM for a year after my surgery. In fact, I just realized this summer, 18 months later that I can do squats in the pool.
 
Well in therapy today my ROM was measured and it was 106 and I'm 5 weeks out. He said he could push me to get 118 today but it will hurt. I said I don't want to hurt by force. He said you only have 3 to 4 months to get the ROM or you loose it. So, I'm pushing myself to get it. On the other note it seems like my right Knee is starting to pop and make noise more. Both knees was Bone on bone because of my weight of 600 pounds but now I'm 240 and working on getting down to 180. I hope this right knee can last long enough to continue to give me the strength to recover and loose more weight.

RHRP- 2014
LHRP-2015
LTKR-2015
AGE -47

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
OMG!!! CONGRATS on the weight loss!!! Do you mind me asking how you lost the weight? I am also very overweight..........have had a difficult time trying to lose weight for my entire life. I am 11 weeks out from my TKR. I'm doing well for the most part, but feel things may be a little easier if I wasn't so heavy. I'm constantly trying without much luck. :sad:
 
He said he could push me to get 118 today but it will hurt. I said I don't want to hurt by force. He said you only have 3 to 4 months to get the ROM or you loose it. So, I'm pushing myself to get it.
He's wrong, Jeff. It's probably what he's been taught, but there's truly no time limit on getting ROM.
That "window of opportunity" really is a myth. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Even at 15 months after my last TKR, I'm still noticing gradual improvements in my ROM.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

So, stop pushing yourself to get more ROM quickly - doing that can cause more harm than good.
Your ROM is great for 5 weeks out.
 
He's wrong, Jeff. It's probably what he's been taught, but there's truly no time limit on getting ROM.
That "window of opportunity" really is a myth. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Even at 15 months after my last TKR, I'm still noticing gradual improvements in my ROM.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

So, stop pushing yourself to get more ROM quickly - doing that can cause more harm than good.
Your ROM is great for 5 weeks out.
Thanks for that. I don't know why I'm keep allowing my self to stress out over what he is saying. He never had a knee replacement nor joint replaced. Thanks for your personal testimony.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
OMG!!! CONGRATS on the weight loss!!! Do you mind me asking how you lost the weight? I am also very overweight..........have had a difficult time trying to lose weight for my entire life. I am 11 weeks out from my TKR. I'm doing well for the most part, but feel things may be a little easier if I wasn't so heavy. I'm constantly trying without much luck. :sad:
The best thing I ever did was get information on what I was eating. Ignorance was killing me. I been on diets all my life and was getting bigger and more depressed. What I learned is that processed food will kill you. I stop eating processed foods and reading the labels on what I was putting in my body. So I stop with the processed food and lost 100 pounds quick. Anything out of a box bag and can I cut out. Stop eating sugars and sweets and carbs and my body went into ketosis for 2 years and I was working out doing cardio. No rice, pasta, bread, grains, oats, potatoes, certain fruits. Mostly all meat no fried meats baked broiled or grilled and all the green vegetables you want. Made my on sugar free calorie free dressing. Ate plenty eggs bacon and tuna. Now I still follow the same pattern but eat more fruit and nuts and grains now. Some wheat. Our food should be our medicine not pills. Pills only treat the symptoms changing your relationship with food is the solution.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Hello everyone I'm 7 weeks out now and I walked about 2 miles today. Im walking without a cane up and down stairs. Not taking any pain medication anymore. Strengthening is getting better and my range of motion is 108-110. The only problem is the stiffness and soreness after about a 2 mile walk. My physical therapist told me that my hips is getting in the way of my recovery. I had bilateral hip replacements last year. They do hurt sometime but nothing worth taking medication over. Plus I'm bone on bone on my other knee hoping to make it last a year or so before replacement surgery for it. I hope everyone else is getting better. Also I lost 30 pounds sense surgery.
 
jebrig3164,
Glad to hear how well you are doing, and congratulations on the weight loss.
You are still very early in this yearlong or more recovery, I suspect your knees are stiff and sore because you are doing too much too soon. Stiffness and soreness are your knees way of telling you to take it easy. Cut your walk in half and see if the stiffness and soreness goes away.
Slow down and let your knees heal, then you can ramp up your activity.
 
Good for you, but 2 miles is quite a distance! Could your hip pain be due to your gait?
 
Hello everyone I'm 7 weeks out now and I walked about 2 miles today. Im walking without a cane up and down stairs. Not taking any pain medication anymore. Strengthening is getting better and my range of motion is 108-110. The only problem is the stiffness and soreness after about a 2 mile walk. My physical therapist told me that my hips is getting in the way of my recovery. I had bilateral hip replacements last year. They do hurt sometime but nothing worth taking medication over. Plus I'm bone on bone on my other knee hoping to make it last a year or so before replacement surgery for it. I hope everyone else is getting better. Also I lost 30 pounds sense surgery.
Wow. 2 miles is a long way. We had surgery on the same day. I can't go that far yet. Still get sore when I do too much. My bending is better than you but still need a pain pill 2x a day. Congratulations! !! Hope you get your other knee done soon.. you will really be on a roll after that.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Wow. 2 miles is a long way. We had surgery on the same day. I can't go that far yet. Still get sore when I do too much. My bending is better than you but still need a pain pill 2x a day. Congratulations! !! Hope you get your other knee done soon.. you will really be on a roll after that.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
I still have swelling and it's limiting my range of motion. But he told me it will get better and better. My extention is good very straight. I think I'm gonna start hitting the gym.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
You're doing well. Just remember to increase your activity gradually. If you do that you'll be able to get to actual workouts months from now with no pesky tendinitis or other issues. You can do all the upper body work you want to, of course.
 
Wow! You are doing great, and congrats on the weight loss! Did any of your pain meds help the pain in your other knee? Is there a reason you have to wait a year to have your other knee done? Hopefully when you get knee #2 done, you'll be living the pain-free life that all of us aspire to!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
You're doing well. Just remember to increase your activity gradually. If you do that you'll be able to get to actual workouts months from now with no pesky tendinitis or other issues. You can do all the upper body work you want to, of course.
Thanks for the inspiration. A little at a time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
Wow! You are doing great, and congrats on the weight loss! Did any of your pain meds help the pain in your other knee? Is there a reason you have to wait a year to have your other knee done? Hopefully when you get knee #2 done, you'll be living the pain-free life that all of us aspire to!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
I want to be in better health for the next surgery. I been having major surgery for the last 2 years. 4 major surgeries two hips replaced left knee replaced and a gastric fistula in my stomach removed. My heaviest was nearly 600 pounds. Got to 400 pounds to have hips replaced. Doc said when I get to 300 pounds he will replace my knees I got down to 285. Now I'm down to 245 want to be 175 - 180 for my last replacement. I'm gonna maintain at that weight. All I did is start eating clean. Yes the pain medication helps my other knee.


Lthp 2014
Rthp 2015
Ltkr 2015

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
You're making fantastic progress, Jeff! :yay::happydance::yes!:

Just remember to increase your activity slowly and ease back off, if you feel any additional pain or swelling.
 
@jebrig3164 Just seen your update. You are screaming through this recovery. Amazing! Well done on the continued weight loss as well!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom