TKR Jeffs new left knee"

That sounds awful. No pain meds first night home? I can't imagine how you did it. Hope you are resting comfortably now.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
I am now, things are better. It was horrible

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
You are brave going right home.
I am going to a rehab place later today.
Last knee I got home with a bottle of pills that looked like it would last forever.
I was shocked on Saturday evening to realize I didn't have enough to get me through the weekend.
It was...interesting.
I squeaked through, and got to feel the joys of withdrawal.
Won't do that again!!
Hi.
How are you doing now? This surgery has been different. A bit easier in some ways. I can't take the pain meds fog...so trying to cut back from last time. Still having constipation side effects. . That is horrible. I have a few more home therapy visits and then start back to my pt outside. My scar looks great. No bruising this time but still have tourniquet pain and lots of stiffness. How is your recovery going?

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
@Gramanator57. I know exactly how you feel. It looks like a lot of pills; until you can't get the pain under control with the one pill you are supposed to take. I still don't think the doctors and nurses have any idea how intense that pain is.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Add the physical therapists to that list. I wish they could feel for 5 minutes the intense pain. [emoji12]

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I would say the first two weeks are something you just have to get through - there is NO way to describe it otherwise. I would just look at the calendar and mentally check them off.
 
Hi.
How are you doing now? This surgery has been different. A bit easier in some ways. I can't take the pain meds fog...so trying to cut back from last time. Still having constipation side effects. . That is horrible. I have a few more home therapy visits and then start back to my pt outside. My scar looks great. No bruising this time but still have tourniquet pain and lots of stiffness. How is your recovery going?

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
I guess so far so good. Walking up and down my stairs about 18 stairs. Cooking cleaning and mopping. My leg is very stiff. Walk to the corner every day. THE Pain Is UNDERCONTROLL
..it's swollen hard to bend. I have 4 weeks PT in house. This recovery I'd much harder than a hip replacement recovery

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Agreed. First 2 weeks.. Lots of sleep. . Meds..etc. I think after that you see small improvements followed by bigger ones as time goes by.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Agreed. First 2 weeks.. Lots of sleep. . Meds..etc. I think after that you see small improvements followed by bigger ones as time goes by.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
Looking forward to seeing it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
You may have a lot of swelling because of your activity. You are doing a lot for this point in recovery. Check out the activity schedule in the readings. First two weeks is mostly elevating, icing and resting with trips to the restroom and kitchen. The more that leg is down the more it's going to swell.
 
Wow, she had me doing so much today. Bending and lifting I was hollering and she said no pain no gain. I told her today that the bonesmart forum says I should be resting, elevating, icing. She said listen to me and not them people. .I think I may half to ask for another PT.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Bending and lifting I was hollering and she said no pain no gain
She is absolutely wrong---180* going the wrong way.

It is important to remember that she works for you---not the other way around. You set the limits and you tell her what you will do and what will not fly. Do not let anybody ever push you past the point of discomfort---it is counterproductive to the recovery process.
I think I may half to ask for another PT.
Yes, you should. It is your knee; it is your recovery;it is your prerogative to not only set limits but also fire one and find another.
 
Jeff. Show her the photos from Referee. By listening to her, you are only aggravating an already angry knee. Remember I told you your knee is in charge. I think you are doing too much. Stop mopping floors and walking to the corner. The dust will wait for you and the only walking you need is what you are doing around the house for your meals and personal hygiene. My second knee is now acting up, I'm still in recovery from the first knee. Not even mentally or financially ready to do this again.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
She is absolutely wrong---180* going the wrong way.

It is important to remember that she works for you---not the other way around. You set the limits and you tell her what you will do and what will not fly. Do not let anybody ever push you past the point of discomfort---it is counterproductive to the recovery process.
Yes, you should. It is your knee; it is your recovery;it is your prerogative to not only set limits but also fire one and find another.
Thank you for your surport and your words of encouragement. I'm telling her Friday this is not acceptable anymore. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Jeff. Show her the photos from Referee. By listening to her, you are only aggravating an already angry knee. Remember I told you your knee is in charge. I think you are doing too much. Stop mopping floors and walking to the corner. The dust will wait for you and the only walking you need is what you are doing around the house for your meals and personal hygiene. My second knee is now acting up, I'm still in recovery from the first knee. Not even mentally or financially ready to do this again.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I will and I am going to show her the photos. My mind is made up with her and her method of torture.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
The problem when you tell people you read stuff on the internet is they don't realize that Bonesmart has actual medical advisors, not just random people complaining.
My home PT took a very gradual approach. The PT you've got sounds terrible.

If anything you need to give the household tasks a break. I hope when you say you're cooking you mean heating up something in the microwave at the most.
BTW--the stiffness is normal--we all had it to one degree or another. My "pain" was well controlled but I did feel it largely in the form of stiffness. On the other hand is also your knee telling you "back off buddy and give me a rest." :wink:
 
The problem when you tell people you read stuff on the internet is they don't realize that Bonesmart has actual medical advisors, not just random people complaining.
My home PT took a very gradual approach. The PT you've got sounds terrible.

If anything you need to give the household tasks a break. I hope when you say you're cooking you mean heating up something in the microwave at the most.
BTW--the stiffness is normal--we all had it to one degree or another. My "pain" was well controlled but I did feel it largely in the form of stiffness. On the other hand is also your knee telling you "back off buddy and give me a rest." :wink:
Yes your correct. The stiffness is normal but I do believe I'm doing to much.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
If you are going up & down the stairs & housework you don't need much PT. You need gentle stretching.

Not many of us that could do what your already doing so quick.

You are a tough person for sure. I bet you can jog @ 4 months on grass or rubber track.

That two week window is so old school....slow and steady is best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, she had me doing so much today. Bending and lifting I was hollering and she said no pain no gain. I told her today that the bonesmart forum says I should be resting, elevating, icing. She said listen to me and not them people. .I think I may half to ask for another PT.
She's wrong, completely!

Give her the sack. Don't argue with her. Just tell her that's what's going to happen. Don't let her hurt your knee. You don't need lots of exercise to rehab it anyway. Your knee isn't lazy - it's wounded, and it needs time and gentle treatment, so that it can heal properly.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain

I can tell you that I did no PT at all with my latest knee. All I did was rest, ice, elevate and walk around the house a bit. My knee is perfect. I can straighten it completely and I can bend it to about 125 degrees.
 
If you are going up & down the stairs & housework you don't need much PT. You need gentle stretching.

Not many of us that could do what your already doing so quick.

You are a tough person for sure. I bet you can jog @ 4 months on grass or rubber track.

That two week window is so old school....slow and steady is best.
Thanks for the inspiration and yes I'm a tuff guy, I did the same with the hips replacements.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
She's wrong, completely!

Give her the sack. Don't argue with her. Just tell her that's what's going to happen. Don't let her hurt your knee. You don't need lots of exercise to rehab it anyway. Your knee isn't lazy - it's wounded, and it needs time and gentle treatment, so that it can heal properly.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain

I can tell you that I did no PT at all with my latest knee. All I did was rest, ice, elevate and walk around the house a bit. My knee is perfect. I can straighten it completely and I can bend it to about 125 degrees.
Wow, that's encouragement. No PT at all and your bending 125.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom