THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

So happy for you @jaydub63! You're doing amazing and you deserve it!!!! ❤
How exciting for your Daughter. We have family in Tampa area. I've never been but it's on the list of things to do as soon as I'm allowed.
 
@danabanana you deserve a trip to where ever you want as soon as you are able (you can probably do better than Tampa, but ok, if you have family there lol)!!! I so admire the humor and grace that you share while dealing with your health issues - you are a treasure!
 
Awwwww @jaydub63 you just made my day! (and I admit, my eyes leak) thank you! I appreciate you so much!!! Thank you for being such a great friend and support.

Now about this trip. Tampa sounds amazing to me right now because of my current view....
[Bonesmart.org] Jaydub63 port side recovery
 
Just returned from having lunch with an old friend. As I was getting ready to leave my house, I decided to wear my knee high zippered winter boots, since we've had a lot of snow and I thought the parking lot might be messy. But how to get them on without breaking my hip precautions....a combination of my long handled shoe horn, dressing stick and grabber (some simultaneously) did the trick! Took me about 5 minutes and wasn't pretty, but effective. :yahoo:
 
As my pt told me- there was nothing I could not do-just had to come up with alternative ways!
 
I don't have the restrictions but shoes and socks are still the hardest thing for me because the piriformis is still too tight. I don't have the long shoe horn, sock device, grabber or anything like that so it's almost like a game of twister to get them on!
 
@SaraK except for the sock aid I really hadn't used these other gadgets very much during recovery, but they sure came in handy today. I get you on the contortions - that was me pre-surgery for my bad leg while tying shoes, cutting toe nails, etc. I could do it but then it was sheer agony for at least 10 minutes while the hip calmed down.
 
I was too stubborn to get anything other than the walker and cane! Used my slip on shoes for the first couple of weeks with my son helping me with socks at night. Paid (and continue to pay) enough for that "gadget" I need to get some use out of him. :heehee: I can't complain, though - he drove me around without complaint for the first week until I could drive and has cooked dinner several times (including 2 nights this week when I was tired).
 
Oh boy can I relate to that pain of wanting to continue grooming habits on your own until the bitter end @jaydub63
I suffered through pedis right up until the one I gave myself for surgery.
Even used a nude polish over my tendency toward pinks or reds. Figured I wasn't sure
when I'd be able to do it again. I will not go to a nail salon. I've heard waaay to many horror stories.
At one month post op, I was able to do my first nail clipping / pedi getting rid of the worn nude polish
It's still not a super comfy task.....but way easier and I can do it myself......Yay!
A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.......OR CHOOSES TO DO :heehee:
 
Hey Jaydub glad to hear you are doing well also. I am also progressing well. Its amazing how well I can walk and get around now with the exception of my other hip. I too am a much happier person to be around without that pain and feeling of uselessness. I have been cut back to one time a week by my PT guy, he is just baffled by my progress. So here's to continued success. Take it easy but keep moving Jaydub and try to stay warm. I would appreciate if you would keep the cold weather up there in Michigan and out of Tennessee. Its gonna be in the low teens this week. My OA is not liking that at all lol. Happy New Year!!
 
@Layla there's another weird protocol difference - my pre-op instructions said "No nail polish!" I found it a bit odd, as it wasn't obvious to me how this might impact anything at all, but whatever. It didn't matter to me since my piggies are well-hidden all winter and I don't start the pedicures until maybe April - May. Hopefully I can reach my toes by then! I hear you on avoiding the nail salons, I'm not a fan either.

@Tboom I'll try not to send the cold stuff your way, but I'd really like to send it SOMEWHERE! It gets old very quickly. My husband was wearing his hat in the house yesterday he was so cold. My oldest brother and his wife used to live in Gallatin outside Nashville but retired and moved to Las Vegas almost a year ago to be near their daughter and her family. They are liking the weather out there, even the really hot stuff.
 
On the nail polish. I believe it's hands only that are a no-no as it's another gauge to determine oxygen levels.
Blue nail beds NOT GOOD! :yikes: :dead: :heehee:

@jaydub63
 
@Layla I think you're right on the pulse ox monitor. And I just bought a bottle of a lovely dark blue color. I would have been so "dead".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Rebel that I am, toes and fingers were painted! I was told during class though that regular nail polish was ok - it's the gel and the fake nails that tend to interfere. I considered red on one foot and green on the other - "red means no and green means go" but thought the joke would be lost on my OS.
 
Why does that not surprise me @SaraK? I think I recall a no false eyelashes rule too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
And no makeup - like I'm wearing any when I don't have to? Funny one in mine was that while they stressed no lotions etc after using the antiseptic soap, they did specify to use deodorant. Wonder if they've had a few ripe patients?
 
No deodorant allowed for me. And I'm sure I had some nervous sweat going. That's why that first shower was so wonderful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom