THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

Back from my first post-op appt. X-rays in 3 positions, which OS said looked good. The nurse escorting me to the exam room said she couldn't tell I had a hip replacement 2 weeks ago since I was walking so well. Incision is healing up fine and the glue is starting to peel off in spots. I'm off the opioids so OS cleared me to drive, but suggested I take a "test run" in an empty parking lot just to make sure I'm comfortable behind the wheel. I'm not that anxious to get back out on the road just yet, but it's good to know that if I want to, I can. The weather is much improved today and sidewalks are clear of snow so I might get in an outdoor stroll in my neighborhood later.

I'll be starting back to work part time tomorrow (from home) - can't believe how fast 2 weeks went by!
 
Wow, you are zipping through this recovery. Great news.
 
Great post op.....thanks for sharing!
Walking like a champ already.....good for you.
I thought I was anxious to drive but when I got the "go ahead"
I still didn't drive for a few days. I did practice ahead of time, making sure I was comfortable
hitting the brake.
Good luck with starting back to work tomorrow. Slow and easy.
A great night to you @jaydub63
 
A short walk outside today was great! I'll have to sneak them in when I can in the MI weather. @MammaT a lot of our snow melted today - looks like another brown Christmas unless we get some this weekend.
 
Afraid it will be brown Christmas here as well:tantrum2:
 
Jaydub glad you're doing good. We both had such successful outcomes☺didn't you say you was doing an elliptical or bike or something. I want to do more than what my rehab guy has me doing. I am bored with the simple stuff lol. You should wait till after Christmas to go back to work fa-lalalala-lalalala!!!!!
 
That's wonderful!!!! Way to go!!!!! Happy driving!!! :driver:
After thinking we were headed for a green and brown Christmas, it's going to be a very white here...we've been pummelled all night and day with that white stuff. :snow dig:
 
Good for you that you are progressing so well.
Hope your holidays are happy and peaceful.:tree:
 
@Tboom I did try my elliptical but didn't like how it felt so will come back to that in a few weeks. I have been riding my bike for about 10 mins at a time and that has been good. I thought it might make my incision uncomfortable since I had posterior, but it's been fine. I've only been pedaling very gently, enough to get the wheel turning. Also adjusted the seat so it was high enough that I wasn't going past 90 at the hip. I agree on wanted to do a little more than the PT basics - glad you are feeling up for it too!

@danabanana I'll take some of your snow! I only want it for Christmas though, after that I don't care if it snows the rest of winter. :snows:
 
Hey @jaydub
Wishing you continued healing and all things merry and bright.
Hope you're feeling well this holiday weekend, happy and moving forward.
Warm wishes for a very :merry christmas: and a happy, healthy 2018!
 
@Layla I've had a great weekend with kids and hubby getting ready for Christmas. Presents are wrapped and cookies are baked. I've felt fantastic all weekend physically and am so gratefully for a great outcome from surgery only 2 1/2 weeks ago. I stopped using a cane at home but still taking it out with me for insurance. And we're getting the white Christmas I wanted! Wishing all on BS a very Merry Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Awesome @jaydub63 Just awesome.....happy for you!
 
So much snow here, I'd gladly share!!! I'm quite sincerely feeling like a typically viewed Canadian....great white North, dwelling in an Igloo. It's 20 degrees below zero and f.f.f.freeeezing! But I do admit, it looks beautiful...from the warm inside looking out. Hubby couldn't get his truck doors to open it was so frozen. Thank goodness for autostart....20Mins later and he got in!
 
Last edited:
@danabanana your post made me think of the whole Bob and Doug McKenzie thing from many years ago - I'm dating myself. We love Canada here in Michigan where Detroit is actually NORTH of Canada (in one tiny spot). My friends and I used to drive over to Windsor to go to the bar because the drinking age was lower than in the US :thumb: Hope you have a very Merry Christmas today! :reindeerlights:
 
Hahaha Love Bob and Doug McKenzie!!!! Classic!!!! Although I'm west coast born and bred, I did live in Ontario for a brief 4 yrs. Nice to visit but I'd never live there again.
Anyhow....Merry Christmas!!! ❤
 
I meant to do a 3 week update yesterday and it got away from me, which I guess means my life is really getting back to normal pretty quickly. I feel like I am way ahead of what my expectations were for recovery at this point. I thought for Christmas I would still be mostly sitting in a chair icing and elevating but I was on my feet most of the day and cooked dinner with my husband for 10 family and friends. I have more energy than before the surgery and I'm sure I'm more pleasant to be around, just because of not dealing with the OA pain grating on my nerves constantly. I can't get outside to walk much because of the weather, but now that the holidays are over (and I can drive) I can go over to the local mall and walk indoors to my heart's content. I also ride my stationary bike at home and have started some light upper body exercises to make sure I don't go completely to mush. I anticipate the next big challenge for me will be in 3 more weeks when I can discontinue the hip precautions and start gently working on getting back ROM. My goal is to be able to tie my shoes and paint my toenails by spring!

I will be dropping my daughter back at her campus house today - she is in the University of Michigan marching band and will be leaving tomorrow for Tampa to perform at the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day. She's totally excited to have a few days in the warm sunshine of Florida (currently minus 16 F where I live!!) and have fun with her band mates. My husband and I will be watching the telecast to catch any glimpses of the band, although the halftime performances are rarely shown anymore which is a shame.

Looking forward to a wonderful 2018!!
 
What a great update @jaydub63
It's like a re-birth getting rid of that pain!
I seriously feel as you start jumping back into life it's like a
natural high of sorts. I remember in those early weeks I just wanted to
B-R-E-A-T-H-E everything in fully.
I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. Wishing you another great day!
 
@jaydub63 - Great update! Your recovery has gone so well. ROM will come. That's the last piece for me as well and it improves every day but can take awhile. There were big differences between 1 month and 3 months and between 3 months and 6 months with my first. Even at 6 months, it still wasn't quite what it was pre-surgery so I'm sure improvements will continue over time - just more slowly. We're both at the point where I got impatient last time - you've made such rapid improvements in the last 3 weeks and things will slow down now just because it can't continue at that pace.

Have a great New Year!
 
Excellent update @jaydub63! I hope I will be doing that well at three weeks. Don’t know if I will be driving that quickly with right hip, bu I am hoping. Nice summer goal!
 
I'm sure you'll do great with your next one @MammaT, and you know the drill too, which I would think helps immensely rather than just obsessing about whether you've made the right decision and if it's the right time to do the surgery. My surgeon told me the top of my femur was just crumbling away, so he said I definitely didn't do it too soon! I originally was going to wait until March/April 2018 so the weather would be better for getting out to walk post-op, but I'm SO glad I didn't do that.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom