Guest viewing is limited

THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

@soup2nuts my surgeon is Karl Schultz in Ann Arbor MI where I live. He told me I could go back to running and playing soccer if I wanted after building the strength back up in my leg. His opinion is that the implant materials have improved so much that higher impact activities are acceptable. I may give running a try when I'm at 6 months of healing (almost 5 months right now). I wasn't a heavy duty runner by any means, but liked to go out 2-3 times a week for a few miles and did the occasional 5K. I'm trying to do a little research about running after THR and I may adjust my running style to mid-foot strike rather than heel striking to reduce some of the stress.

I don't think I will go back to soccer as it is too hard to control what will happen when on the field with 11 other people and there were a lot of collisions, trips, and falls even though I played in a "recreational" league. Some people just take things a little too seriously!
 
I've experimented a bit with trying to run since THR, to varying degrees and with different results.
First was a few steps at about 8 weeks to avoid being hit by a bus! That's what happens when you step out without looking both ways!
More recently been trying a bit more- but I think you're right @jaydub63 - heel strike seems to jar too much even with cushioned trainers.
 
@gillycat11 Looks like you are about 6 weeks ahead of me. How long did you wait before you tried some running (other than for bus avoidance!)? I feel like I could do it now, but since I haven't done it for almost 3 years it's a bit daunting thinking about getting started again. It will be necessary to start as "walking with bit of running" and then try to increase the ratio of running slowly over time. Basically starting at ground zero!
 
I've heard someone else suggest doing a couch to 5K program to ease back into running.
 
I have a soppy and sometimes wilful Labrador, so much of my attempts at "running" gave been associated with either chasing her or pretending to run away from her! ( encouragement to try and get her to hurry up and follow me!) started at about 5 months and then not very far- probably only distance from one lamp post to another.
Still (at 6 months) haven't covered any real distance in one go- just a couple of hundred yards during beach walks or on grass. But certainly feeling less of an issue. Think walk/ run sounds an excellent way to start!
 
Before my hip gave up the ghost I did couch to 5k and found it a brilliant programme to follow. You can get it on an app or google it. Tbh I don’t think I’ll do it again just stick to walking. Starting to feel my left hip going the same way as my right plus my knee problems whilst easing since the thr still remind me they’re still there. It’s about time they found a cure to all forms of arthritis!
 
I walk really fast (and far) with no pounding the pavement.
Happy with that!
But roll on runners, if that's what you need to do...:running:
 
I've taken some extended breaks from running before, like during and just after my pregnancies, but those were in months, not years. I remember the first time I went out to run a couple of months after my son was born and I immediately peed my shorts - my pelvic floor muscles were not quite having it yet lol! Hopefully that won't be an issue this time. I will check out couch to 5K for some guidance, and there is a local running store that has a class for beginning or returning runners that is a similar program in a group setting. Maybe I can find another running hippy in my town.
 
Hope you have a Good Weekend and happy for you that you are healing well and looking forward to getting back to life.
Well done ...onward:tada:
 
@Mojo333 It looks like I'll be tackling the invasion of dandelions that has sprung up in my yard! Not so much fun, but much easier to tackle without hip pain! Enjoy your fishing trip, we want to see what you catch! :realing:
 
The Dandelion Destroyer vs Fishing Fiend.:heehee:
Yep, think I like my occupation better for now.
Take it easy.:SUNsmile:
 
I was working with my trainer this morning and realized today was 5 months post-op for me! She seems pretty amazed at what I've been able to get back to doing after the surgery, but I think I'm the only THR recipient she's worked with so far. Anyway, I had a celebratory glass of wine with dinner (full disclosure, I really had 2...).

Didn't make much of a dent in the dandelions this weekend. I cleaned up the front yard, but the backyard is a different story! The violets are making a strong showing this spring too.

Score: Dandelions 3,658 Jane 0

[Bonesmart.org] Jaydub63 port side recovery
 
:rotfl: I didn't get to fish today..trip cancelled and if it makes you feel any better, they are actually kind of pretty:flwrysmile:
(I still like to blow them when they poof out too)
 
@Mojo333 I'm sorry you didn't get to fish today, sounded like you were really looking forward to it. Hopefully you'll get out there soon. I agree, in the nice spring sunshine, those devilish yellow flowers are kind of pretty lol!
 
I was a bit bummed, but just didn't work out...dad's been ill, and behind on home chores.
I did however get some outside and vitamin D therapy...and am just grateful I don't have terrible pain and can look forward to a good nights sleep.
I try not to forget to be grateful.
 
Happy 5 month anniversary! Just the fact that you're back working with trainer and out fighting dandelions is worth a celebration. Here's to our new lives!
 
Well, I like dandelions. I know they’re considered weeds but I think of them like wildflowers. You can’t tell me they’re not pretty. I think it’s a beautiful photo.
 
@Gidget I agree, they do look kind of nice right now, but after the flowers are gone it's a different story!
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary! @jaydub63
Time is a flyin! Seems like only weeks since your surgery.
You're doing great, lovely to read, thanks for sharing.
A great weekend to you!
 
Time flies @jaydub63. You’ll be at your previously mentioned 6month cut off for gentle jogging in no time at all! Pretty impressive dandelion plantation you’ve got going on there.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom