THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

Less than a week for you @MammaT! I'll be looking for your hip #2 recovery posts. I'm looking forward to doing more in the garden this summer too. I really didn't do much the last 2 summers due to my hip. No grandkids for me yet, but I coordinate tailgate meals for my daughter's instrument section before the home college football games. It was torture doing it the last 2 years. I'm actually looking forward to doing it pain-free this fall for the first time.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely! And I bet if your right hip starts giving you so much as a hint of trouble @jaydub63, you will be running right back to os!
 
Celebrated 2 months post-op today by...shoveling snow??? I decided to help hubby out and clear off a few inches in the driveway before he got home. It felt fine until I couldn't feel one of my hands anymore lol. Very light dry snow so not heavy at all. I left the sidewalks for him but he was happy to see most of the shoveling done when he got home.

Not much to report other than easing back into my exercise routine. It feels good to get back to things that either I couldn't do or were very uncomfortable only a few months ago. Two months has gone by quickly! Will have my first TSA experience in about a month as I take a business trip out to the west coast. I didn't get any sort of ID noting my replacement - it seems I've seen it mentioned that they really aren't necessary, but I'll see if my first go around is a hassle or not.

Glad to see so many folks getting over to the recovery side in the last week and doing so well!
 
Congrats on 2 months! You sound great.
That was brave of you to shovel snow.
It scares me a little, fear I'll slip. Do you have those things you slip over boots, those spikey
things? I had some a few years ago and misplaced them somehow. They work well!

I haven't been on a plane yet either, contemplating escaping the cold and snow, it's getting old! :yawn:
I hope your first TSA experience goes smoothly.
A great week to you! @jaydub63
 
@Layla It sounds like you are describing crampons I think they are called. I just used my regular winter boots. There wasn't any ice, otherwise I might not have attempted it! I am so over the cold and snow too. It will be nice to go to SoCal next month even if it's for business. Have a great week yourself!
 
@jaydub63, I also will have my first TSA checking in early March. I've heard that they just end up using the wand....I'm not sure I want any pat down! :bignono:
 
It's supposed to be easier to go thru the tube.
 
I have precheck on southwest, they let me go over to head of X-ray line so it’s little faster.
 
Hi @jaydub63
I looked up those traction cleats and the ones I had were called Yaktrax.
They do help and give you a sense of security while walking on snowy icy pavement,
for those of us plagued with that type of winter weather.
Hope your your day is sunny and any pavements you traverse......dry! :heehee:
 
@Layla thanks for the tip! It looks like they sell those on Amazon and I have an REI store near me that probably has something similar. Sadly, they may be needed as we've gotten MORE SNOW and I'll probably be out there shoveling again later today. Hubby has an after work thing to attend so I'm on my own to dig out if I want to hit the mall for my walk later.
 
I also some brand of them at Walmart, I think the yaktrax, but wouldn’t swear to it.
 
I got mine on QVC. Not a huge tv watcher but QVC often serves as background chatter for me while home
doing the daily.
At times to hubby's dismay :no-fin: I remind him he's not the boss of me, he laughs....He's a good sport!
 
@MammaT, I love Southwest .... wish I was taking it this trip, but not in the cards. They are so customer friendly!
 
Excellent @jaydub63 ! My OS was more conservative, still asking me to take abbreviated back swings and hold off on using the golf driver until 10-12 weeks (I waited until yesterday, almost 9 weeks, no issues). He asked for another visit in 8 weeks. Also, I got the standard spiel to avoid high impact sports. I suggest to take it easy and let your pain be your guide. If it hurts, don't do it!
 
@Dive17 sounds like you are doing great with the golfing. None of that going on here due to 9" of snow yesterday, but I don't golf anyway! I agree with just letting our bodies guide us during the early months of recovery. I still need to work on some ROM but that is already much better than it was pre-op.

I was expecting to have another OS check in a few months but he said not until 1 year unless a problem crops up. He did throw me for a loop by saying that going back to high impact stuff was ok (I'm a recreational runner and soccer player). I'm not even going to think about that until I hit the 6 month mark at least. I did surprise myself last weekend when I was at someone's house and when I got back to my car to leave, I realized I left my purse inside. Without thinking about it I broke into a slow trot to go back to the house!! I guess in my brain there's something saying "hey, you can do this again without it hurting!!" but I know there's still a bunch of healing going on in there.
 
Current situation...may need some online retail therapy to brighten my mood.
[Bonesmart.org] Jaydub63 port side recovery
 
Highly recommend online therapy. Have an amazon gift card staring at me.
 
The snow and cold IS getting old @jaydub63
My new hip wants some nice dry pavement to walk on
in place of taking shuffling steps on slippery sandy surfaces.

Its great to catch yourself unexpectedly doing something that became next to
impossible....like your spontaneous jog.
To many more pleasant surprises!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom