BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Jaydub63 port side recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jaydub63, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave:Hey @jaydub63 !
    Good to see you around spreading good advice and reassurance.
    Sure hope you are doing well.

2. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

@Mojo333 Well, I can't hold a candle to you in the advice and reassurance department, but I'll do what I can! Things are good here, still working on my dandelion plantation (TruGreen visited today). I'm working on stretching out various muscles that didn't get used much the last couple of years - even my non-op hip is pretty tight in some directions. Today I signed up for an intro yoga class and a water HIIT class to keep me moving over the summer and throw in some variety. Coming up on 6 months in a couple weeks - that sure has gone fast!

• Like Like x 2
  3. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

6 months post-op today, so I celebrated by going running for the first time in over 3 years! It went much better than I expected. I was able to run about 1.5 miles continuously after a short walk to warm up and then walked another mile to finish up. Perfect day for it - sunny and low 70's. I couldn't believe how natural the new hip felt while running. Granted this was a very sloooowww run, but it was a start. I have to admit that I felt a little naughty, like I was breaking some post-THR rules, but it was amazing!! Now I'm icing for a bit (just in case) and having a celebratory gin and tonic. Life is good!!

:walking: :walking: :walking:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mojo333

Happy happy for you.
    We do this to get back to life, right?
    :yahoo:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

@Mojo333 so true - I didn't do this so I could sit comfortably on the sidelines!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Happy 6 months and so happy you were able to go for that run!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @jaydub63
    Happy Six Month Anniversary!
    It's wonderful you're able to return to what you love.
    May it only get better...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

I do love it when hippies start taking it on the road. Great to hear about your run, @jaydub63 - 1.5 miles for a starter run is pretty dang good for a six month hiatus, assuming you could still run up to your operation. Are you a distance runner, neighborhood jogger, or a take-no-prisoners sprinter?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

@Bone-obo I hadn't really run in about 3 years because of my hip. I was a decent high school distance runner and over the years/kids/life had settled into being a recreational runner doing 3-5 miles a few times a week and also played recreational soccer, which I think is what did my hip in. I really thought running was over for me, so I'm grateful to get back to it, even just as a neighborhood jogger. It's a step up from being a "mall walker" which is what I was over the winter after my initial recovery lol!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Has anyone else had weird dreams about their replaced hip? Last night I had a dream that I was just sitting in a chair, and my replaced hip kept popping in and out of the socket. My daughter was also in my dream, and kept pushing it back in and telling me to stop doing that! I've not had any irrational fears about dislocation, so I'm not sure where that might have come from.

I'm hoping it will replace the "college class final exam is today, and I don't know where it is taking place, and I haven't been to class all semester" dream that I have every now and then!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Layla

Hahaha! You're cuckoo, jaydub, that's all!

Truly kidding! That was funny and entertaining to read.
    In reality I love all of your contributions to the forum...
    even if you're a little cuckoo :wink: (just like me)

Hope your day is good and your weekend too!
    @jaydub63

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

Nope, no dreams like that...thank goodness. I did dream I was able to leap buildings in a single bound with my new bionic legs...before surgery.
    Hope all is well with you.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@jaydub63 - OMG - I actually DID have a time when I'd been out of class of the last 2 weeks (but in contact with professors). The Saturday before a Tuesday final I was feeling better and decided to out for a bit. I saw a classmate who proceeded to ask me how I thought I'd done on the final. EEEK - the date of the final had been changed and no one had told me about it and I had missed it! Suffice it to say, I was no longer feeling better. I couldn't reach the professor (no email or cell phones in those days) so I left a message on his office line. It all worked out in the end and the professor even apologized for forgetting to tell me of the change but I got less sleep that Saturday and Sunday nights than most people get in the first few days after a THR! That nightmare was replaced with the one where I would show up for work in a diaphanous nightgown and nothing else (but, hey, at least I wasn't naked).

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Layla

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. DEL2018Jul-2

DEL2018Jul-2 member

That's hillarious!
    No dislocation dreams yet...but I'll keep you posted!
    Hey ~ You're headed to SD soon! I have a little place in La Jolla...
    don't know if you've visited but it's a really beautiful City and easy to navigate!
    If you're staying downtown and want some great food outside of the touristy..."gas lamp" district ~
    Hit Cafe Chloe at the corner of "9th and G" ~ a fabulous little French Bistro....you'll feel like you're in Paris and one of our favorite eateries in the City~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2018
  16. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

I fly out there tomorrow. I've been there a few times but appreciate the suggestions - the bistro sounds like my kind of place. One of my friends lived in SD for several years and we went to the beach near Del Mar when I visited her once, and ate outdoors at a cute place in La Jolla. Such a beautiful area - you are lucky!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. DEL2018Jul-2

DEL2018Jul-2 member

That's awesome ~
    We lived a block from the ocean in Del Mar...great beaches...it's beautiful place to visit but too slooooow (for me) : )
    La Jolla is even slow for us ~ we hang out in the more vibrant parts of the City...but you're absolutely right...it is beautiful and yes we have a blessed life and are fortunate!
    Wishing you safe travels and a fabulous trip~

18. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted...I guess I've been enjoying the summer too much to spend time on my computer, which is probably a good thing. And it was such a difference being able to enjoy all my summer activities (even yard work, blech) without thinking about how my hip was feeling etc. So in honor of back to school this week (at least where I live it is...), this is what I did this summer:

I took classes in yoga and water aerobics - I enjoyed both, although they were at different ends of the spectrum in terms of intensity. I'm doing the yoga class again (it's very basic, just my speed) and I think it is helping with incremental improvements in my ROM, on both sides. I've settled into running 2 days a week, which seems to work well. I'm just running for a set time right now, and not worrying about speed, so I can go for at least 30 minutes. At first my knees were not liking it, and were pretty sore after I ran, but it was just all the muscles and ligaments getting used to it again, and they don't bother me anymore. I may try a 5K this fall just for fun. I've lost a few pounds without really trying, and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in for several years!

My family was able to get away for a long weekend in July (which included climbing Sleeping Bear dunes and a 3 mile hike on sand dunes to Lake Michigan) and my husband and I spent almost a week in Washington DC while he was at a conference. The African-American History museum is stunning - we spent 5 hours there and we didn't see everything. A must see if you are in the area. Also lots of walking and good food! I went running in Rock Creek Park one morning and the humidity nearly did me in!

Now I'm getting ready for marching band tailgate season for my daughter - first home game is next weekend. And first year I'll be doing it with no hip pain - I'm actually looking forward to it even though it's a ton of work.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Labor Day weekend! (At least if you are in the US...)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Layla

What a great update @jaydub63
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing.
    And to think it can still get even better....awesome! :yes!:
    Hope you have a great day and week!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mojo333

Oh so happy all is going good for you @jaydub63 :roseshwr:

You are missed on the forum...but not if it means you are back to life hippy happy!
    So proud for you.
    Isn't it just wonderful?:yes!:
    I'm still in awe of the change it had made in my life!:egypdance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018