Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted...I guess I've been enjoying the summer too much to spend time on my computer, which is probably a good thing. And it was such a difference being able to enjoy all my summer activities (even yard work, blech) without thinking about how my hip was feeling etc. So in honor of back to school this week (at least where I live it is...), this is what I did this summer:
I took classes in yoga and water aerobics - I enjoyed both, although they were at different ends of the spectrum in terms of intensity. I'm doing the yoga class again (it's very basic, just my speed) and I think it is helping with incremental improvements in my ROM, on both sides. I've settled into running 2 days a week, which seems to work well. I'm just running for a set time right now, and not worrying about speed, so I can go for at least 30 minutes. At first my knees were not liking it, and were pretty sore after I ran, but it was just all the muscles and ligaments getting used to it again, and they don't bother me anymore. I may try a 5K this fall just for fun. I've lost a few pounds without really trying, and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in for several years!
My family was able to get away for a long weekend in July (which included climbing Sleeping Bear dunes and a 3 mile hike on sand dunes to Lake Michigan) and my husband and I spent almost a week in Washington DC while he was at a conference. The African-American History museum is stunning - we spent 5 hours there and we didn't see everything. A must see if you are in the area. Also lots of walking and good food! I went running in Rock Creek Park one morning and the humidity nearly did me in!
Now I'm getting ready for marching band tailgate season for my daughter - first home game is next weekend. And first year I'll be doing it with no hip pain - I'm actually looking forward to it even though it's a ton of work.
Wishing everyone an enjoyable Labor Day weekend! (At least if you are in the US...)