BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Jaydub63 port side recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jaydub63, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

United States United States
    Update from my 1 year check up late yesterday. I had a new set of x-rays and my OS said everything looked perfect. He was very impressed with how well my bones had integrated to the components. We also looked at my right side and he said no signs of OA there with normal joint space. We talked about physical activity, but I didn't really have any other questions since things have gone so well for me.

As we were finishing up he told me unless a problem arose, I should come back in 5 years. I commented that "yikes, I'll be 60!" and he added that he's a few years younger than me, but that he thinks in the next 2-3 years he'll need to have both of his hips replaced. I wanted to ask him "so how does an orthopedic surgeon who replaces hips pick a surgeon to replace their own hips?" I imagine they go through some of the same process the rest of us do, although it seems like they probably have some good insider information lol! And do their colleagues get miffed if they don't get picked? And of course, going through the surgery themselves would hopefully give them a new perspective on what their patients experience. I hope I remember to ask him in 5 years!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great update and all sounds splendid!
    Wishing you a joyous holiday season.:reindeerlights:

3. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Hey, @jaydub63 - I've been thinking of you recently! All good - started with watching Grace and Frankie and hearing their theme song (which I will forever associate with you now) and then starting to think about trying some running. My original OS is not a huge fan of running but says it's OK if you don't over do it and use a midfoot strike. I was surprised that the new hip doc (who can't be much over 40 if that) was actually against running - but followed up saying it's really a question of wear and that they didn't really know if it would have much of an impact on the newer implants.

How are things for you? I'm hoping you're out there having too much fun to stop in but wanted to say hello just in case!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I have picked up bits and pieces of things not to do, but often am confused if they mean EVER, or just not now. And if NOT NOW, then how soon? Much of my original advice came after my back surgery 9 years ago---don't shovel heavy snow, ride on a fast speedboat, do whitewater rafting. I've mentioned a couple of those on here, thinking that I'd like to start back rafting, and heard that that is something I should never do again. Do you, or anyone have a more definite list of the "not nows" and the "nevers"??? Obviously I can ask my surgeon at my one year follow up, but suspect many of the active folks on here have researched them too:)

5. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@Debru4 - Like anything else on this journey, it seems to depend on the doctor. The most common absolutes I hear are parachuting and bungee jumping. I would think you could add ski jumping to that. Those didn't bother me - I am scared to death of heights so those aren't activities I would otherwise even consider!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I'm with you on those @SaraK! If anyone else has absolutes they have heard of, I'd love to hear them!

7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Just saying :hi: @jaydub63
    I realize you're back living life. Fifteen months out and all is well, I hope.
    Wishing you a great year!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Hi @SaraK and @Layla ! Sorry I haven't been making it to the forum much lately. Work has been kicking my butt and we've had an issue with my 89 yo MIL. At the end of February for some unknown reason she was trying to clean up some ice on her driveway and ended up taking a fall on her right side. We didn't find out until the following day (after her sister told us) and she refused to go get checked out, even though she could barely walk. She finally decided on a Sunday that she should go to the ER and we spent 10 hours there getting her checked out and ultimately admitted. She has a couple of cracks in her pelvis, but since there was no displacement, she didn't need surgery. After a couple days in the hospital she went to a rehab facility where she is weight bearing as tolerated and has been working on getting around with a walker and getting PT and OT. We're not sure how long she'll be there, but even when she's ready to go home she'll probably need some help getting meals and bathing, etc. Her house is mostly one level, but her laundry is in the basement and it will be awhile before she can manage stairs, as well as driving, etc. She lives alone and may not get back to her previous level of self-sufficiency, which has been hard for her to accept. My husband has been really good with her, and has cleaned up her house to get her papers in order - he found her electricity was about to be cut off since she hadn't paid her bill in a few months. She has a comfortable retirement, so it's not from lack of funds, she just doesn't pay attention to some of these details anymore. He also found a check for several thousand dollars that she hadn't deposited. So we'll need to start working with her more closely to keep tabs on this stuff. Luckily she's in the same town as us, so it's not as awful as if she was some distance away.

But I'm doing fine! I haven't even had a cold this winter (I probably just jinxed myself!) and have been doing yoga, pilates, and barre to keep busy. I took a couple months off of running due to snow/ice (and I really hate running on treadmills), but have just started back now that the weather is getting better. I'm sticking to my plan of running being just one of several types of exercise that I do, and that's good enough for me. I think it's better for me to alternate the high impact stuff with non-impact activities that help with ROM. @Debru4 I'm not sure I can help with your question, as my surgeon seemed fine with me not having any specific restrictions after recovery. I agree with SaraK that it seems very surgeon-specific.

My trainer's dad is having a hip replacement in early April, and I'll be loaning out all my hip "equipment" to him for his recovery. I'll have to dust it off and get it out of the basement this weekend!

I hope everyone is doing well!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Thanks, Jaydub63---I knew it was probably not a question with a definitive answer, but was hoping someone out there knew of a list of some sort:) It feels nice to be able to share all that equipment and those devices, doesn't it? Since I just had my first replacement, I don't want to get rid of things yet....still have 2 knees and 1 hip left for the future.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

My walker is currently on its 5th patient. I've loaned it to two friends having hip replacement, friend of a friend for 2 knee replacements and now a friend with a tib/fib fracture. It used to be the "traveling pants" but now is the "traveling walker and assisting devices" . Sigh - just one more sign of getting old!

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Mojo333

:wave:my pal.
    Spreading the love , I see!:tada:
    Glad you are doing well!:yahoo:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

Happy Easter, jaydub

13. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Thanks @Mojo333 ! You too. Also my birthday today. Just wish our weather was better!

14. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Happy birthday!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Happy belated birthday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mojo333

Oh my stars, happy belated birthday:flwrysmile:
    I'm right behind you...I will turn 56 in a few months...hope your day was happy.:yes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I celebrated by having an eye exam to get my first pair of prescription glasses. I've been using readers for a few years and figured it was time for something tailored to what I needed. Turns out my right eye is pretty good, but lefty needs alot of help - sounds a lot like another one of my body parts LOL! So apparently the left side of my body is aging faster than the right, good to know :rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mojo333

I've got the same issue probably...been keeping readers but likely need real glasses ...want to find some John Lennon frames...so I'll look groovy old!

• Funny Funny x 2