jaydub63
graduate
- Joined
- Sep 20, 2017
- Messages
- 571
- Age
- 63
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
Update from my 1 year check up late yesterday. I had a new set of x-rays and my OS said everything looked perfect. He was very impressed with how well my bones had integrated to the components. We also looked at my right side and he said no signs of OA there with normal joint space. We talked about physical activity, but I didn't really have any other questions since things have gone so well for me.
As we were finishing up he told me unless a problem arose, I should come back in 5 years. I commented that "yikes, I'll be 60!" and he added that he's a few years younger than me, but that he thinks in the next 2-3 years he'll need to have both of his hips replaced. I wanted to ask him "so how does an orthopedic surgeon who replaces hips pick a surgeon to replace their own hips?" I imagine they go through some of the same process the rest of us do, although it seems like they probably have some good insider information lol! And do their colleagues get miffed if they don't get picked? And of course, going through the surgery themselves would hopefully give them a new perspective on what their patients experience. I hope I remember to ask him in 5 years!
As we were finishing up he told me unless a problem arose, I should come back in 5 years. I commented that "yikes, I'll be 60!" and he added that he's a few years younger than me, but that he thinks in the next 2-3 years he'll need to have both of his hips replaced. I wanted to ask him "so how does an orthopedic surgeon who replaces hips pick a surgeon to replace their own hips?" I imagine they go through some of the same process the rest of us do, although it seems like they probably have some good insider information lol! And do their colleagues get miffed if they don't get picked? And of course, going through the surgery themselves would hopefully give them a new perspective on what their patients experience. I hope I remember to ask him in 5 years!

my pal.


