THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

@Layla I agree on "chores I love" being an oxymoron! I don't mind changing sheets but swishing out the toilet and cleaning the shower are on my "least loved" list. My son's bed is also close to the wall on one side. Pre-surgery I would have to shimmy in between the bed and wall sideways to do anything. Needless to say his sheets don't get changed very often. I got them off but will probably enlist hubby to help get them back on. Plus whatever bed I'm making instantly attracts my cats, who then have to lay on top while I try to put the sheets, etc. back on.

Another fun chore for the day - damp mopping my hardwood floors. Can't even remember the last time I did that, but I figured I should do it now while we still have rugs rolled up and it's much easier. By the way, how long did folks keep their rugs up? Just wondering if I can think about starting to put them back since I'm getting around the house with no aids for a few weeks now. Plus hubby and I decided that we no longer like one of them, so a replacement is needed. Maybe some on-line shopping later too!!
 
I think you're doing well @jaydub63 accomplishing the chores you've mentioned.

I unrolled the rugs at about one month post op, maybe even a little before. Probably about a week past using walking aids, myself. I figured I needed to get used to having them back in place and was careful until it gradually no longer crossed my mind.

We seem to have a protective sense of awareness at that point anyway. I wanted everything "normal" again and rugs being back in place fell into that category. As did getting rid of all the post op paraphernalia gathering dust in a corner. Told hubby one day I was sick of it all, nothing matched my home decor' :heehee:
 
I couldve taken the rugs up? That would've been easier than going around and hanging up with walker.
Hope today is a Good Day @jaydub63
 
@Mojo333 Putting away rugs was something from the hip replacement 101 class and pre-op prep booklet for me. Glad you survived even though you didn't have a class!!
 
6 weeks today! I was able to get my pants on without aids and tie my own shoe on the operated side - yay! Not anywhere near what I would consider "normal" range of motion (and I know that will take much more time and patience} but it's exciting to move beyond the hip precautions. Not going to do much on range of motion until I see my OS again on the 30th to get his advice. From what many of you have shared this is something that comes back in fits and starts and it's not worth forcing it and ending up with a sore and irritated hip.

Hubby is excited the elevated toilet seat can be removed from his favorite "throne" lol :heehee:
 
Six weeks already, whew!
Don't you love gradually ditching all of that paraphernalia.....it's such a great feeling!
It's amazing how this surgery makes us once again appreciate all the little things we took
for granted LIKE GETTING DRESSED :heehee: Isn't it the truth though?
Keep it up, you're doing great!
@jaydub63
 
Decided to try cutting my toenails after my shower this morning - success!! Ok, I had to go sit on the staircase to do it, but it happened. Hopefully one day I will get back to doing it the same way as my non-op leg, but for now I will take it!
 
Great news!
I'm happy for you because I know how elated I was first time post op!
I even managed to polish. I did the foot on my non surgical leg first and tried polishing
surgical leg toes. Struggled and left it. Both cut, only one polished.
I was annoyed looking at the unpolished one so I gave it a whirl the next day and did it!!
Admittedly, while I can cut and polish both, it's not the same as before OA came into my life.
It does seem to improve, albeit slowly. I'm almost 7 mo out. May come easier / quicker for you....I do have some OA in my other hip so I'm simply not as limber as I was 10 yrs ago. Heading toward "old lady" though too :heehee:
 
@Layla it seems like such a mundane task to get excited about, but I knew other BoneSmarters would understand. I think I could manage the polish at this point, but it will be a few more months before my toes see the light of day for any length of time. Although it might be good to do it just for the sense of accomplishment.
 
I agree about the sense of accomplishment. We continue to strive for normal, or whatever our normal was.
My recovery was in the Summer when I live in flip flops, or I may have waited myself. But knowing myself,
most likely not :heehee:
Hope your day is great!
@jaydub63
 
Yay for you jaydub:happydance:
 
That is great @jaydub63 ! Sounds like you are getting back to normal very fast. Do not forget to pamper yourself a little bit. You deserve it. I am getting a cut and color next weekend, and will go for a pedicure as soon as I stop being a scaredy-cat. Thank goodness it is winter, my toesies look sad.
 
I had my 6-week check up with my OS this morning (actually 8 weeks post op tomorrow). No new x-ray and we just chatted about what I've been doing and a few questions that I had. He said something to the effect of "you can do anything you want now" and I asked about whether there was some fine print or a big fat asterisk associated with that statement, such as can I go back to running and playing soccer. Much to my surprise, he said yes, that if those are activities that I like to do, there was nothing wrong with going back to them, although I probably wouldn't be ready for a few more months. I was seriously shocked, as most of what I've read says "no running, no high impact sports, etc." after THR. I guess I hadn't specifically discussed it with him prior to surgery, just assumed that he would advise against them. And I'm not quite sure yet that I will go back to them, as I can hear @Mojo333 saying "just because we can, doesn't mean we should", which is good advice. I'll put off a decision on that for awhile, and just work on polishing my toenails.

Unless I develop an issue, I don't have to see him until 1 year after surgery and then every 5 years. I'm going to kind of miss him.
 
You will get back to all of those things. Let's just give that new prosthetic time to stick in there good and all that trauma time to heal.
9 months out and all is just:chuckmarch:
I can do that, for really!:eyebrows:
 
I think you're wise @jaydub63
I'd be a bit leery to try many things at only 2 months post op. But I'm pretty conservative.
I agree with the sentiment that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
Sounds like your doing great! Enjoy the pedi, gave myself one today.....just because I can! :yes!:
 
Good update @jaydub63. I don’t have to worry about getting back to running, because I hate it. However, I want to go for long walks and hike a bit. I want to run around in the yard with my grandkids (ok, maybe a bit of running). I want to work in my flowerbeds and paint some baseboards. And I know in time it will all come back to me.

I think it will be amazing to see what you are doing a year from now!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom