TKR JASPA 2nd recovery

I agree with @Starsfan22. Had my second TKR as an outpatient. Went very well and was happy to be in my own home the evening of surgery.
 
@jaspaThat is so great! Better sooner than later! Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery!
 
That’s great news! Right place right time it seems. Sending wishes for a safe surgery and a smooth recovery.
 
I forgot to add that with my first TRK I stayed two nights in the hospital (11 years ago) and with this second one I came home the same day. You'll do well because you know what to expect with this second one. We are all here to help you too as you go through it again. :kittykiss:
 
My surgery date is 2/2/2222! :happydance:

Good luck @jaspa! I'll be rooting for you on the 2nd. And I'll be eagerly awaiting your post-op reports.

I'm 7 weeks into my RTKR and will be seeing my surgeon on Feb 1st and will more than likely set a date for my LTKR some time in March 2022. It'll certainly be interesting to find out how the 2nd knee responds. In my case, I'm hoping for an experience similar to my right knee ... although there are a few things I'd do differently (hopefully lessons properly learned!)

Good luck again!!
 
Thanks @FourCats Can't wait to get the call today to tell me what time I report tomorrow morning. The weather will cooperate tomorrow and PT will be at the house when I get home tomorrow. Rain for Thursday when PT will home to house but Friday may be a problem for PT to get to house as we are to get ice/snow overnight Thurs./Friday.
 
Ask your PT on Thursday what you can do in case he/she isn’t able to come. I only had PT twice a week and on the off days did the exercises she prescribed. Most of the time, just moving around the house was as much activity as I could handle early on.
 
@jaspa, I’m thinking about you today as you prepare for surgery. And I’m hoping everything goes perfectly and that you are home and healing quickly! (I can’t wait to join you in that pursuit!)
 
Wow, tomorrow's the day! That came up fast. Good luck and we will be here waiting for you when you feel like posting. Yes, please don't worry about doing any "PT" for the next few days. Just moving to the bathroom and back is all you need to be doing anyway plus some very light stretches and ankle pumps. You know the drill......
 
@Susie-Q the PT people are really home care and staff that do blood pressure / oxygen level and wound care so they will be meeting me and my daughter at the house when I am released tomorrow since it is same day surgery. Thanks for the good wishes.
 
When I was released from the hospital, I had a cadre of home PT, OT and nurses. Sometimes I had 2 appointments back to back on the same day - nurse then PT or PT then OT - and I recall that as super exhausting. The PT always took my o2 and blood pressure first and once cancelled our session because BP was high and exercise elevates it. The initial PT stuff was simple like balance while holding the counter, marching in place also while holding onto the counter, lying down to lift the leg (with then eventually without his help), hamstring curls, heel slides and leg extensions on a chair. Everything was super gentle those first 2 weeks or so, really less about exercise and more about testing movement.
eta: I have to say my movements were pretty pathetic early on and made us laugh. He'd say "fire that quad" and I'd say "I'm firing, this is as good as it gets" as my leg raised not at all!

I hope the surgery is uneventful and you're home relaxing comfortably in your favorite chair toute suite.
 
Moderator can you change my thread to "JASPA 2nd recovery"
Good morning all sitting here waiting for 9:15am and daughter to come get me.
I dont report for surgery until 10:30am I should go home by 4 or 5pm. See you all on the other side again.
 
Best Wishes!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Sitting here thinking of you and sending positivity to you and your surgeon. May he do a beautiful job and send you on your way to a good recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom