Guest viewing is limited

TKR JASPA 2nd recovery

So sorry, @jaspa. I remember how sensitive and reactive the early bruising and swelling was to movement, touch ... well, everything! Your job is to rest, ice, medicate and elevate. Your body will take care of healing and your family will take care of everything else! You can do this!!!
 
@jaspa, you know that these 1st few weeks are the worst. Be kind to yourself and remember that this phase will pass. Oxy 10 just knocked me out and that was a blessing those early weeks. Can your daughter come back if home care is delayed?
 
Either daughter or one of grandkids comes once a day. Oxy doesn't knock me out but I am getting at least sleep in 2 or 3 sessions of about 3 hours each at night once I can find a comfortable position on my back only
 
I’m sending you lots of healing thoughts, @jaspa. You’re already a superstar in my book - two TKRs within four months is pretty impressive. You’ve got this!!
 
Good morning all. Staples were to come out at 2 wks but they did not come out yesterday when the bandage was removed there were still some spots that needed more time due to the extreme swelling. I had to change my icing and raising my leg to a higher level to try to reduce the extreme swelling in this 2nd TKR by Friday I did see a decrease in swelling but I must have leg raised and iced at all times at this time. Perhaps staples will come out by Tuesday. I have been taking the Oxy and Tylenol every 4 hours. For the last 3 days, I have had to take 1 or 2 Dilaudid 4mg in order to get rid of the pain from the swelling which makes the leg painful to touch.
On a good note I am able to use the cane since I am still only in the house which is nice and doing the few gentle exercises/stretches twice a day.
 
Get 2 to 4 hours sleep at night.
Getting a good night's sleep is a problem for just about every one of us after this surgery. When or where you sleep isn't important, it's getting that sleep. Sleep when and where you can!
I can find a comfortable position on my back only
Sleeping on our sides is the most common position for most of us but is impossible for the first 1-2 months. I tried to turn on my side with a pillow between my knees and that helped me be able to stay on my side for a couple of hours or so.
On a good note I am able to use the cane since I am still only in the house which is nice and doing the few gentle exercises/stretches twice a day.
Yay! You are coming along well.
 
I’m so sorry you have so much swelling this time. :console2: I hope the staples can come out on Tuesday.
 
:wave:Sorry to hear that this recovery is harder for you with more swelling, I too found my skin more sensitive, so Im using two soft cloths between the ice and my knee, this takes some of the pain away.
In bed try and make a canopy at the end, this will lift the covers off your knee, in the beginning I did this and it helped.
Recently I was prescribed a muscle relaxer by my new orthopaedic doctor I only take 1 tiny pill at dinner time and I'm now sleeping so well, sleep makes all the difference to our well-being.
Stay positive and celebrate all the small achievements - using a cane is a great achievement in itself xxx
 
You had your first op a week or so before mine. I reckon I'm doing well in the recovery stakes but I couldn't contemplate two new knees within a year [or ever] never mind a couple of months and you compound the issue by not stopping in hospital for a couple of nights.

Just one word.

WoW!

Hats off to you and anyone else who does similar.
 
Hi @jaspa , best of luck on your recovery. I'm getting a bit nervous about my April LTKR ... knowing full well that it could be a much more challenging experience than my RTKR has been. Following your progress will be very helpful in helping me mentally prepare for knee #2 and how to cope with more difficult circumstances (vis-a-vis #1) ... thanks for taking us along your journey!
 
You’re already a superstar in my book - two TKRs within four months is pretty impressive.
I second this! I cannot imagine doing this myself. Do give yourself grace and time. Oh, how I remember those days of only sleeping on my back. Hang in there, @jaspa , we are rooting for you!
 
Good Morning all tomorrow will be 3 weeks since 2nd TKR! The staples finally came out yesterday all 34 of them! Steri-strips are now in place and I have to still sit and elevate all day unless getting up to bathroom or food. Swelling is going down and will see ortho PA on 3/3 for xrays and exam. Homecare was to end this week but will extend until after I see the PA. Sleep is still hard about 5 or 6 hrs a night in 2 or 3 sets of few hrs each. My oxy 10 is down to 2 or 3 in a 24hr period. For those who did bilateral, I'm glad my doctor wouldn't do it for me but very glad I had the knees done so soon after each other and 2nd as same day surgery. I'm sure after PA ortho sees me I will see vascular doctor again as I did before the TKRs to see what is causing the extreme swelling.
 
@jaspa, so glad your staples are out! I hope you soon get more sleep and have less swelling. As @Sara61 says “thank God we only have 2 knees”! I’m sending you healing thoughts.
 
@jaspa - I'm so glad you're coming along. I know the focus is on that very new knee, but also mind that old new knee.
 
@jaspa I too, have both knees replaced! It was definitely easier the 2nd time around, just knowing what to expect! Are you able to ice through the night? That seemed to help me!
Sending good vibes your way for a comfortable recovery!
 
Hi, @jaspa ... I’m catching up here, and agree with your hero status! And I do relate to the frustration with sleep. I’m doing fine now, but the sleep challenge was something new & foreign to me, in those early days. I’m generally one of those folks who easily falls asleep, sleeps through most anything ( except , years ago, a coughing child, or a telephone ring....). I love to read, & had several historical biographies, & did find that reading often helped me fall asleep, & during the days, took lots of naps. I remember seeing on this forum that it doesn’t matter When you get the sleep, so, I think those naps really helped. And, at least, when I couldn’t sleep, the reading helped to distract me. Hoping you will be sleeping better soon. Oh, and also, I did have considerable bruising, & that seemed to be the most painful for me. But, it does go away, & that was a Huge relief. Take care, & I’ll be thinking of you.
 
Yay, @jaspa! It sounds like things are coming along swimmingly! :egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom