Guest viewing is limited

TKR JASPA 2nd recovery

Well it will be 3 months on Tuesday! Hoping to get a surgery date on 18th for other knee! At zero and 105 ROM but can't do pedal bike but do single leg press at 50#s. My PT ladies are great and stretch me gently. Still haven't driven but do my own housework in my little house and take care of my 3 cats. I do my daily stretches and exercises gentle ones!. been sewing and crocheting. Nowhere to walk around except in house. Did walk at grocery store but that evening other leg swelled up terribly. New knee and leg was fine. I have been very fortunate in this recovery. Take care everyone and thanks for being here you all have been a great help through this recovery!
 
It sounds like you are doing well for 3 months, @jaspa ! You'll be able to do a pedal bike soon. Good luck next week seeing your surgeon and getting a date for your other knee.
 
I was able to do a rotation on the stationary bike pretty early with this knee but the left knee took quite a while. My PT would have me warm up on the bike and I'd rock back and forth until one day I went all the way around without pain. Keep rocking the pedals and when your knee s ready, you'll get the rotation, then there is no stopping you.
 
I was able to do a rotation on the stationary bike pretty early with this knee but the left knee took quite a while. My PT would have me warm up on the bike and I'd rock back and forth until one day I went all the way around without pain. Keep rocking the pedals and when your knee s ready, you'll get the rotation, then there is no stopping you.
Thats what I did - roced backwards and forwards with the seat at its highest level with zero resistance on the pedals for a week until I felt I could do a full rotation - I only started this two weeks ago and achieved full rotation in the last week or so (week 10). I then increased how many rotations I did throughout the week starting with a fews backwards rotations (for some reason these seem to loosen up the knee better). I have now started using time rather than counting rotations and I am only up to 2 minutes but for now thats enough. Today I lowered the seat one notch (about an inch) When I go to cycle in the morning I will start again rocking back and forwards till I feel I can do a full rotation. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have the seat level where it was before I started to have bad knee problems and will have increased time and then I will start to increase resistance. But I am not in a hurry 'Slow and steady' is my mantra.
 
Yep, what everyone else said. Start with going back and forth and one day you'll be able to go around. It's a little scary at first but gets easier. I've finally moved my recumbent bike seat up as close as it will go at home, my right knee is bumping the handle bar! When spring gets here I will take my regular bike out on the street and get some outdoor exercise!
 
Yep, what everyone else said. Start with going back and forth and one day you'll be able to go around. It's a little scary at first but gets easier. I've finally moved my recumbent bike seat up as close as it will go at home, my right knee is bumping the handle bar! When spring gets here I will take my regular bike out on the street and get some outdoor exercise!
I thought that moving the seat down rather than up gives more flexation or am I misunderstanding your post. Oh well I guess I will know this morning when I have a go at the lower seat level :)
 
Thanks all for your comments. 3 months today and yesterday she measured me and I was 110/115
and strength is good. Surgeon doesnt expect 120 and has it in my file as I was only 90 before surgery. They put me on a different machine which is like pushing pedals instead for now until I get other knee done since it will not bend. Hopefully next week I get a real soon date!
 
I thought that moving the seat down rather than up gives more flexation or am I misunderstanding your post.
Prolly just term confusion. With the recumbent bike, the "rider" is in seated position with the pedals in front of them (vs below them with a standard stationary bike). So to improve flexion on a standard stationary bike, you move the seat down to get more bend. On a recumbent bike, you move the seat forward (or up closer) to get more bend.
 
I thought that moving the seat down rather than up gives more flexation or am I misunderstanding your post.
Prolly just term confusion. With the recumbent bike, the "rider" is in seated position with the pedals in front of them (vs below them with a standard stationary bike). So to improve flexion on a standard stationary bike, you move the seat down to get more bend. On a recumbent bike, you move the seat forward (or up closer) to get more bend.
Phew thanks for the clarification - wouldn't like to be doing it wrongh :heehee:
 
I thought that moving the seat down rather than up gives more flexation or am I misunderstanding your post. Oh well I guess I will know this morning when I have a go at the lower seat level :)

Yes, normally this would be the case but I have a recumbent bike so I'm in a more horizontal position with my seat and pedals. So I've been moving my seat forward ("up" probably wasn't the best term) towards the pedals and have gotten to a point where I'm so close my knee is bending and hitting the handle bar above. Sorry for the confusion!
 
Good luck in getting a date for the surgery on your 2nd knee. Are you anticipating another TKR for your left knee? Hope that there is steady improvement on your baby knee. At least having gone through this major surgery and recovery process so recently you will know what to expect with your 2nd.
 
I have not forgotten the horrible pain of a bone on bone knee and do feel for you. Hope you get good news next week. Have a good weekend.
 
Well with the storm coming in tomorrow through Monday I am not going to PT on Monday. I hope roads and my driveway will be done in order to get to surgeon on Tuesday to discuss 2nd TKR. I'm afraid my ROM will not be as good having not having PT on Monday. I am so bored at home, crochet some, cut fabric some, sew some and was thinking of getting some type of light weight bike to get exercise or some type of pedal thing since I can't make full rotations due to left knee not bending. Does anyone have any recommendations that are not very expensive? Thanks everyone you are the best on here for support and information.
 
I bought this from Amazon for about $50. There were some that were less expensive but I wanted something substantial. Very pleased with it. [Bonesmart.org] JASPA 2nd recovery
 
@patriciad yes when I see surgeon on Tuesday I hope he gives me a very early date for the LTKR it is bone on bone worst than the right and only bends a little .
I remember this as well and it was awful. I also lost ROM and could only bend my knee about 90 degrees. Good luck getting to the doctor on Tuesday and that the snow isn't too bad.
 
3 Months and 1 week and I saw surgeon this am. He is very pleased with my recovery and saw how badly swollen the other leg is. He cancelled further PT appts. However, the hospital has been cancelling his surgeries on and off and the next date I could get surgery would be sometime in April. He asked me if I would consider same day and I said yes! It turns out just as he was going to get his scheduler, she was telling him of a cancellation on February 2nd at their Surgery Center! I did my pre-op after my visit with him and get my medical clearance on Friday. I'm so excited and believe it will be fine to do same day with the second knee. He has PT meet me and my daughter after I am released to help my daughter get me settled when I get home. My surgery date is 2/2/2222! :happydance:
 
That's great Jaspa.
Lucky you get 2/2/22. I will be thinking of ya.

Booger
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom