January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Poppet
Thanks for your kind words. Yes,you're right about the gardening -it's my passion. We moved to our cottage on a little Scottish island 3 years ago and have spent many happy days making a garden from the land behind behind the cottage. We even got a polytunnel in Feb last year and that's when I started suspecting something was wrong. I held off going to the docs until June which led to diagnosis of severe degeneration of left hip joint. Saw consulttant in October who told me it was bone on bone and here I am - surgery a week today. Still hoping to wake up and find it was all a bad dream!

I've read the Five Ps of recovery and am beginning to realize that my highly goal oriented plan for recovery may need a bit of tempering!

I feel so lucky to have discovered this forum just when I most need the support - thank you x
 
lovegardening you are very welcome honey.. You will get back to gardening.. It just takes time and patience. The body dictates the timeframe for this process, not us unfortunately :)

Take care Sweetie.

I must look up your Island home.. :)
 
Hi all..

I'm having a left thr on Jan 17. A bit freaked out about it.. Especially the recovery.

Happy new year everyone!

Cheers

Hi finn1913, Welcome to Bonesmart! It's great to have another Kiwi along! I don't have my surgery date, but do have pre-op this coming Monday. I can so identify with the "bit freaked out". I have my moments of freaking out as well. Up until now it's been "next year, maybe January or February". But now that January is here, it is starting to become a reality, and I question why I'm doing this. I keep telling myself, there is really no choice here, this has to be done, I cannot continue to live my life in this pain. Like so many others before us, we can do this!!!

Where are you having surgery?

Cheers
Diane
 
Hi...I am new on here! I am a lively, fun loving, very active 39 year old mother of two, about to undergo total hip replacement on January 16th! I am extremely nervous! And feel very young to have to have this! I need some support...seriously!
 
Hi gymrat1991, welcome to Bonesmart! You have come to the right place for support. :-) if you start your own thread, heaps of people will be along to say hi. There is also a library with lots of information to help you prepare. My THR is sometime this month or next, I'm getting nervous too, now it's become more of a reality. But, we can do this!

Diane
 
hi Diane (octopus),

I've had 3 months to wrap my head around it and just came to terms with it last night! I was reading another post about what had made him decide to do it and he said a few things that really resonated for me.

I don't have nasty pain and very rarely take meds, but I have noticed how my world has become smaller. I have slowly gained weight, I often find myself not doing things 'because of my hip'... I guess I finally clued in that I have been avoiding the things that would make it sore -adapting. But I'm only 42 and would mind having something close to my old life back before I forget what it was like!

So it's jan 17th at mercy ascot for me...

Cheers!
 
Hi CookingLoverGirl!!

Same day, eh? Wow, lots of us! :snork: I for one am not afraid of the actual surgery. I think it's because I've done my research and saw three surgeons before choosing one. Basically, because this operation is SO often done, I feel very assured that these guys know what they're doing and they've got it down to a science. So if you pick a good surgeon, I really don't think there's any need to worry! My overwhelming feeling is one of relief because this hip really needs to get done. It's getting worse all the time and if I'd had to wait (I got a cancellation date) until summer or November, I don't think I'd have been in very good shape. So although I'm getting it done sooner than planned (March would have been ideal for me, timing wise with work), it's good I AM getting it done! What my worry is, quite frankly, is the first couple of weeks AFTER the surgery. I live alone, so I'm a little concerned about my ability to get to the bathroom! And take a shower. Plus, this not driving for six weeks thing will be a major drag. But I've got lots of friends who will stop in and make sure I'm alive and well. :angel:I'm sure my fears will be alleviated once I'm actually home and I can see for myself that I'll be fine.

And how are you feeling? Glad to be getting this done and over with? How long have you been dealing with your bad hip? I was diagnosed in Nov '10, but was having pain for at least two years prior to that, so it's been a while. But, man, some people on here wait WAY longer than that to have the surgery!! I can't imagine, really! I tell you, if this OA hits my right side, I'll get this done long before it gets to the point my left has. Not worth it, man, not worth it!! My workouts have taken a serious hit since July and 2013 is going to be a year of getting myself back on my workout track. Ugh. I shouldn't have given in to this hip pain as much as I did. Too much time off my workouts. :groan:

And how much time are you taking off work? My doc says three months, so that's what I'm taking. It's interesting to see how much recovery time people on here have needed because it varies so much! I read one woman's post and she went back to work after three weeks!! I can't imagine!!

Anyway, good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great! I have to get to bed because I'm heading out to Cancun in the morning and my airport limo will be here in 5 and half hours--need some sleep! Merry Christmas to you and here's to a pain free 2013!!! :cheers:

Peace out,

Foxy

---------------Hi Foxy!! Hopefully you had a fantastic trip!!! Cancun sounds heavenly. I hope your hip didn't bother you! Though something tells me it didn't stop you from having a good time, cause' as you know, we are facing the knife in 11 days!! :gaah: I'm very happy for you that you went on vacation.

On another note, I'm a bit worried about your being home alone after surgery...You're quite brave! I have the same situation as you, but slightly different. Right now my mom cannot care for me because my dad is hospitalized, so I'm kind of alone too. I chickened out on that, so I am going to ask if I can be transferred to a Skilled Nursing Facility. You should look into it if you qualify, which I think you may! Hopefully your friends will stop by often otherwise. Please take it super duper easy and carry your phone allllll the time. I am sure you already know these things lol. I just worry for everyone on here, mother hen instinct I think :)

I hope that we can both recover soon enough and that we can be super duper good after 3 weeks! I noticed you said a woman went to work at 3 weeks. One can only wish, but hey, since we are younger, I think that's more of a possiblity so I am feeling good about that :dancy:

Please keep me posted on how things go for you, and feel free to reach out! We are comrades in struggle, but soon we will be warriors!! :yay:I'll likely come check in on you a couple days before surgery just to make sure you aren't getting cold feet hehe. Or maybe I'll get cold feet..! Either way, I have a good feeling about all of this!

P.S. If you haven't yet gotten a care kit from your provider with handy supplies such as a shoe horn, a grabber tool, a sock-aid, and a shower sponge with a long handle, please make sure you get those things and practice. They're total recovery gems. I highly recommend :)

Keep in touch! :friends:
 
Hi gymrat1991

I totally agree with you. I feel we are too young to be dealing with this ****! I'm scheduled for January 14th so ill be right before you. I'm crazy nervous too but it will be here before we know it and then it will just be a memory. Hang in there and we are all here for each other.
 
hi Diane (octopus),

I've had 3 months to wrap my head around it and just came to terms with it last night! I was reading another post about what had made him decide to do it and he said a few things that really resonated for me.

I don't have nasty pain and very rarely take meds, but I have noticed how my world has become smaller. I have slowly gained weight, I often find myself not doing things 'because of my hip'... I guess I finally clued in that I have been avoiding the things that would make it sore -adapting. But I'm only 42 and would mind having something close to my old life back before I forget what it was like!

So it's jan 17th at mercy ascot for me...

Cheers!

Hi finn1913

My journey to this point has been a lot longer, I got my first symptom about 20 years ago, but as it was intermittent, did nothing about it. It got worse through my thirties until, after having X-rays for a physio, was told I would need a hip replacement earlier than is usual. I just didn't realise it would be this early. But its just been the last year and a half that its got so much worse. Yes, I'm looking forward to getting my life back too. I was a fairly actives person, love my food, so have put on a little weight as well. I've got to the stage now where I'm turning down any invite that would have a lot of standing or walking. I even find myself looking at people walking about or standing working in a shop, and think to myself "that must hurt". These days I remind myself of those things when I wonder what on earth I am doing this for.

I'm having mine done at Waitakere.
 
Hello gymrat1991, welcome to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined.

Would you like to start your own thread in the hip pre op area. You will find a black tab at the top right hand side displaying ‘Post New Thread’. Click on that and decide on the title you want for your thread, then start writing and share a little about your story that has lead you to a THR.

The benefit of having your own thread is that you can ask more specific questions relating to your personal situation and we can answer them. Also other members will pop by and respond to you directly with their experiences and support.

Looking forward to your first post in your own thread, then I can give you some links to our extensive list of articles which may answer some of your concerns, knowledge is power... but fire away with any questions, we love questions.

Here is a particular favorite of mine to get you started.

Five “P’s” of hip recovery

Once again, welcome, we are here to support and encourage you! p.s. I will add you to the January list, then you can see who your surgical buddies are in the one post :)
 
Hi to all the January hippies to be.. I have brought this list forward so that you can all see who your surgical buddies are and it helps us to follow your journey.we certainly have a busy month!


03 Jan 2Bpainfree
07 Jan octopus (surgery date to be confirmed)
09 Jan TJB and Mr12barbluz
10 Jan lovegardening
14 Jan ilovefall
15 Jan abbydreams and Foxybrown
16 Jan CookingLoverGirl and gymrat1991
17 Jan Matsan and finn1913
18 Jan Knitter4444
21 Jan TiredHippy
22 Jan nanal and coolvoyage
23 Jan stargirl
29 Jan emily76
30 Jan gailcoco and gershom and waltern31
 
OMG I'm really starting to freak out a little. Today was my preop with my doctor. I absolutely trust my doctor and he was the one who originally told me to go ahead and schedule the surgery since my ROM of extremly bad, even through my level of pain was low. Today he said, "if your level of pain is low, you might want to reschedule" Seriously................ UGH!!!
 
I used to tell my wife a couple weeks before my surgery, " Boy i hardly have any pain anymore, maybe i should cancel my surgery." She used to tell that i was fooling myself and trying to talk myself out of it.
 
Hi fellow Hippies to be,
After months of planning and preparing to be a December Supernova last month, it looks like things are back on track. I will know for sure Wednesday but it looks like I am finallly having my hip replacement on January 18th. I have a new primary care who I saw today for the first time ( I was very comfortable with the new doctor) and I am in the physicians group my OS is in and the desired Hospital is the network hospital. I am almost afraid to get excited again but this time I think it's gonna happen.

I saw my CT & Xray results. I have alot of bad stuff going on including several spurs in addition to the bone on bone osteo arthritis. This weekend just doing a few errands and I was almost in tears from the pain. It is no wonder my pain is so bad. Maybe I'll be on the post-op side for real this time. I've got my fingers crossed.

Nessiepie:flwrysmile:
RTHR
 
Good news nessiepie, I know exactly what you are experiencing, the bone spurs, and bone on bone OA. I am 4 weeks post op tomm. and it is the best thing i have ever done for myself !! Best of luck....
 
Thanks Badgerfan, and congrats on your progress ! I am soooooo looking forward to get this behind me. :happydance:
 
Poppet: my hip rescheduled from the 21st to the 18th. The 21st is a federal holiday in the states. Don't know what they were thinking about when they scheduled it.
Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom