January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all the January hippies to be.. I have brought this list forward so that you can all see who your surgical buddies are and it helps me to follow your journey.

As other members come along I will add to this list.... January is not that far away, just around the corner! I will have to check gailcoco it seems I have you on the list twice, will have to check your date :) :)

02 Jan
03 Jan 2Bpainfree
07 Jan octopus
09 Jan TJB and Mr12barbluz
10 Jan lovegardening
14 Jan ilovefall
15 Jan abbydreams and Foxybrown
16 Jan CookingLoverGirl
17 Jan Matsan
21 Jan Knitter4444 and TiredHippy
22 Jan nanal and coolvoyage
23 Jan stargirl
29 Jan emily76
30 Jan gailcoco and gershom and waltern31
 
Foxy brown and Abby dreams, I am also facing the knife on the 15th!! Wheeeeee :) how are you guys feeling? Scared! Happy? Not happy? Both?

Hi CookingLoverGirl!!

Same day, eh? Wow, lots of us! :snork: I for one am not afraid of the actual surgery. I think it's because I've done my research and saw three surgeons before choosing one. Basically, because this operation is SO often done, I feel very assured that these guys know what they're doing and they've got it down to a science. So if you pick a good surgeon, I really don't think there's any need to worry! My overwhelming feeling is one of relief because this hip really needs to get done. It's getting worse all the time and if I'd had to wait (I got a cancellation date) until summer or November, I don't think I'd have been in very good shape. So although I'm getting it done sooner than planned (March would have been ideal for me, timing wise with work), it's good I AM getting it done! What my worry is, quite frankly, is the first couple of weeks AFTER the surgery. I live alone, so I'm a little concerned about my ability to get to the bathroom! And take a shower. Plus, this not driving for six weeks thing will be a major drag. But I've got lots of friends who will stop in and make sure I'm alive and well. :angel:I'm sure my fears will be alleviated once I'm actually home and I can see for myself that I'll be fine.

And how are you feeling? Glad to be getting this done and over with? How long have you been dealing with your bad hip? I was diagnosed in Nov '10, but was having pain for at least two years prior to that, so it's been a while. But, man, some people on here wait WAY longer than that to have the surgery!! I can't imagine, really! I tell you, if this OA hits my right side, I'll get this done long before it gets to the point my left has. Not worth it, man, not worth it!! My workouts have taken a serious hit since July and 2013 is going to be a year of getting myself back on my workout track. Ugh. I shouldn't have given in to this hip pain as much as I did. Too much time off my workouts. :groan:

And how much time are you taking off work? My doc says three months, so that's what I'm taking. It's interesting to see how much recovery time people on here have needed because it varies so much! I read one woman's post and she went back to work after three weeks!! I can't imagine!!

Anyway, good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great! I have to get to bed because I'm heading out to Cancun in the morning and my airport limo will be here in 5 and half hours--need some sleep! Merry Christmas to you and here's to a pain free 2013!!! :cheers:

Peace out,

Foxy
 
January marks many "new beginnings" and so it will be for those of you having joint replacement surgery this month!

You have hit the January Jackpot!!

[Bonesmart.org] January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??


If you're having surgery in January, please post here and join the group. It is so helpful to have the support of others who will go through the waiting for surgery and recovery along with you.
Hi, first of all , I am unsure how to maneuver on this site . Secondly I am scheduled to have bi lateral hip replacement Jan 22 , 13. I dont have much pain now , rather lack of range of motion and in general move slowly for a once vibrant 53 yr old woman ! I am scheduled to have posterior approach robotic ( Mako ) assisted surgery though the anterior approach sounds less invasive.Any thoughts ?
 
Hello, and welcome coolvoyage to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined. I will add you to my list of January soon to be hippies, another bilateral.. fantastic.. we have quite a few members who have had a bilateral and are now enjoying life again :)

You can start your own thread in the hip pre op area. You just go back to the previous list page. You will find a black tab at the top right hand side displaying ‘Post New Thread’. Click on that and decide on the title you want for your thread, then start writing and share a little about your story that has lead you to a THR.

The benefit of having your own thread is that you can ask more specific questions relating to your personal situation and we can answer them. Also other members will pop by and respond to you directly with their experiences and support.

Looking forward to your first post in your own thread, then I can give you some links to our extensive list of articles which may answer some of your concerns, knowledge is power... but fire away with any questions, we love questions.

Here is a particular favorite of mine to get you started.

Five “P’s” of hip recovery

Once again, welcome, we are here to support and encourage you! p.s. nanal is having surgery on the same date, so you are surgical buddies now :)
 
Hi there waltern31 Just spotted your surgery date in another post, so have added you to the January list :)
 
Good luck to 2Bpainfree who is having surgery to get a shiny new hip on 3 Jan 13...

First hippie of the new year... :)
 
Hi everyone, I haven't been on this site for a while, but found it so helpful when I was facing my surgery. I am in Australia and it has now been three years since I have had a total hip replacement. I had been in terrible pain for so long and put the surgery off so many times, mainly because I was terrified of the surgery. As a lot of people who have had the surgery will tell you, "why did I wait so long" ?It was certainly the best decision I have made in my whole life. I looked on this site for anyone to let me know that it would all be ok and found it so valuable.
I won't say that it is a piece of cake, but wow I have never looked back. I am so grateful that I can sleep all night and lay on either side and feel nothing, yes nothing! No pain. I wish you all the best and you will too say, "why did I wait so long"? One piece of advice is... do the exercises and make sure that you do them after.
Lots of love to you all that are having surgery. The best thing ever is to be able to walk on the beach and not have to worry about uneven surfaces and be in pain.
:)
 
Hello Rainbow

Another fellow Aussie success, how wonderful. I am so thrilled that you have re joined the forum.

Isn't it wonderful to have the forgotten hip that we all crave.. And yes, the walk on the beach.. We walked had a long walk on our favorite beach a few days ago.

Would you like to start a thread on the Hip recovery side of the forum and tell us a little more about yourself.

I love it when other Aussies join me :) we have a few Aussies and Kiwis due for surgery soon., so all support is welcome :)

p.s. we have an online international New Years Eve party, so along with our Kiwi friends we get to be amongst the first to welcome in the new year..

I do hope you will start a thread of your own and drop by the party .. It is always a lot of fun. The hippies and the knee members all join in :)
 
Yes, that would me. I am scheduled for January 9th. I stumbled on to this site this morning as I thought that I was developing a cold. Silly mind playing tricks already. I am fine now. I am 63 years old 5'9 and 170 lbs. I have lost 20 pounds in the past year for two reasons, 1) to be a good surgery candidate and 2) I am still vain and wanted to look better. I have a job that is fairly labor intensive so and I think that I am in pretty good shape minus a worn-out hip. I have spent the past four hours reading here and I suppose you folks could be my new best friends for the next 2 to 12 months or longer. I first noticed a sore groin after I came home from the gym about 5 years ago and was diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago. I remember reading that when it bothered my sleeping that I would be ready. Ok, I am totally ready so lets get on with it. Gerald
 
Hi Mr12barbluz, welcome to Bonesmart! This is a fantastic site, full of great information and awesome people! Even though I am not physically alone, having plenty of family & friends who will help out, it's really nice to be with a group of people who have 'been there, done that'. Good luck with your surgery on January 9th, not long to go!

Cheers
Diane
 
Hi There: well, looks like our surgery dates are fast approaching, so I thought I'd drop you a quick line to wish you all the best with getting your latest bionic addition! Can't believe how fast the time is creeping up, now I just want to get it over with! Have a Happy New Year, and I do mean in EVERY respect.
Brigitte
 
Hello I'm so glad to have found this forum. My op is scheduled for 10th Jan and I keep having periods of time feeling overwhelmed with terror, horror and disbelief. The rest of the time I'm ok and getting on with all the stuff I need to do in preparation. I had been feeling quite positive and would really like to get back into that frame of mind - reading these posts has helped. Thank you.
 
Hi lovegardening, welcome to your international BoneSmart family.

The emotions you are experiencing right now are perfectly normal, but your surgery date is just a week away, so that time will go very quickly.

I am going to add you to the list, then you can see who your surgery buddies are :)

Check out the library, there are lots of good articles to help you prepare you, once again welcome.

p.s. I love your username, I am guessing you are a gardener and are keen to get back into it.. Well this is the first step...
 
Welcome Mr12barbluz, sounds like you are well and truly ready.. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, we love questions :)

I have added you to the list, it makes it easier to see who your surgical buddies are.
 
Hi to all the January hippies to be.. I have brought this list forward so that you can all see who your surgical buddies are and it helps us to follow your journey.


03 Jan 2Bpainfree
07 Jan octopus (surgery date to be confirmed.
09 Jan TJB and Mr12barbluz
10 Jan lovegardening
14 Jan ilovefall
15 Jan abbydreams and Foxybrown
16 Jan CookingLoverGirl and gymrat1991
17 Jan Matsan and finn1913
21 Jan Knitter4444 and TiredHippy
22 Jan nanal and coolvoyage
23 Jan stargirl
29 Jan emily76
30 Jan gailcoco and gershom and waltern31
 
Happy New Year everyone,
I am hoping to be having surgery thiss month. Insurance woes caused problems last month. I see my new primary care Monday. So I hope l will be able to post date soon.
 
Hi nessiepie nothing would give me greatest pleasure than being able to add your name to the list :)

Good luck for Monday!
 
Hi all..

I'm having a left thr on Jan 17. A bit freaked out about it.. Especially the recovery.

Happy new year everyone!

Cheers
 
Hello, finn1913 welcome to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined and another Kiwi... we are neighbours.

I will add you to the list and tag another NZ member octopus who is having her pre op on 7 Jan.. who knows you could be travelling the same recovery journey together :) and also another NZ member who is well on the road to recovery. Mikeb

It is perfectly normal to be feeling apprehensive and even as you say 'a bit freaked out'. What part of the recovery is bothering you?

Would you like to start your own thread in the hip pre op area. You will find a black tab at the top right hand side displaying ‘Post New Thread’. Click on that and decide on the title you want for your thread, then start writing and share a little about your story that has lead you to a THR.

The benefit of having your own thread is that you can ask more specific questions relating to your personal situation and we can answer them. Also other members will pop by and respond to you directly with their experiences and support.

Looking forward to your first post in your own thread, then I can give you some links to our extensive list of articles which may answer some of your concerns, knowledge is power... but fire away with any questions, we love questions.

Here is a particular favorite of mine to get you started.

Five “P’s” of hip recovery

Once again, welcome, we are here to support and encourage you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom