January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I'm really starting to freak out a little. Today was my preop with my doctor. I absolutely trust my doctor and he was the one who originally told me to go ahead and schedule the surgery since my ROM of extremly bad, even through my level of pain was low. Today he said, "if your level of pain is low, you might want to reschedule" Seriously................ UGH!!!
Diane I don't understand what the man was thinking - this is no time to go changing plans. I suppose some surgeons just have no idea what people go through mentally. If you feel ready then stick with it - just think of all the work you have put in to get to this point. You know you will have the best wishes and support of everyone here.

I'm sorry I will be out of touch for a while as we head of on our protracted journey to my op on the 10th tomorrow but I will be thinking of you and hope we will meet again on the other side.

Very best wishes and hugs

Diane xxx
 
Getting super nervous about my surgery on January the 16th! I am going for my pre-op today to find out the ins and outs of this ordeal! I am truly excited about living a normal active life again!
 
[Bonesmart.org] January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??
gymrat, so please you have joined us here on the forum. Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
 
Hi to all the January hippies to be.. I have brought this list forward so that you can all see who your surgical buddies are and it helps us to follow your journey.

Good luck everyone, we will be waiting for you on the hip recovery side :)

03 Jan 2Bpainfree
07 Jan
09 Jan TJB and Mr12barbluz
10 Jan lovegardening
14 Jan ilovefall and Willatess
15 Jan abbydreams and Foxybrown
16 Jan CookingLoverGirl and gymrat1991
17 Jan Matsan and finn1913
18 Jan Knitter4444
21 Jan TiredHippy
22 Jan nanal and coolvoyage and wildsong
23 Jan stargirl
29 Jan emily76
30 Jan gailcoco and gershom and waltern31

 
---------------Hi Foxy!! Hopefully you had a fantastic trip!!! Cancun sounds heavenly. I hope your hip didn't bother you! Though something tells me it didn't stop you from having a good time, cause' as you know, we are facing the knife in 11 days!! :gaah: I'm very happy for you that you went on vacation.

On another note, I'm a bit worried about your being home alone after surgery...You're quite brave! I have the same situation as you, but slightly different. Right now my mom cannot care for me because my dad is hospitalized, so I'm kind of alone too. I chickened out on that, so I am going to ask if I can be transferred to a Skilled Nursing Facility. You should look into it if you qualify, which I think you may! Hopefully your friends will stop by often otherwise. Please take it super duper easy and carry your phone allllll the time. I am sure you already know these things lol. I just worry for everyone on here, mother hen instinct I think :)

I hope that we can both recover soon enough and that we can be super duper good after 3 weeks! I noticed you said a woman went to work at 3 weeks. One can only wish, but hey, since we are younger, I think that's more of a possiblity so I am feeling good about that :dancy:

Please keep me posted on how things go for you, and feel free to reach out! We are comrades in struggle, but soon we will be warriors!! :yay:I'll likely come check in on you a couple days before surgery just to make sure you aren't getting cold feet hehe. Or maybe I'll get cold feet..! Either way, I have a good feeling about all of this!

P.S. If you haven't yet gotten a care kit from your provider with handy supplies such as a shoe horn, a grabber tool, a sock-aid, and a shower sponge with a long handle, please make sure you get those things and practice. They're total recovery gems. I highly recommend :)

Keep in touch! :friends:

Hey CookingLoverGirl,

Thanks for your words of support! :) And for your concern. I got back from Cancun on Jan. 3 and had a great time! And you're right, I didn't let the hip slow me down, although I definitely didn't do as much dancing in the clubs as I normally would because I just had to sit down much of the time. Drag. My hip actually got worse over the holidays, but I still had a blast! Weather was great, got lots of sun and had lots of fun!! :dancy: The fact that the hip has worsened in the last couple weeks is just reinforcing that it's definitely time to get it taken care of!

Well, I went for my pre-op appointment yesterday and am feeling better about the being home alone thing. This pre-op appointment was very thorough--saw a nurse who went through a bunch of stuff with me, then saw the anaesthesia doc for a check (blood pressure, listened to heart) and to discuss what I wanted to do (went for the spinal anaesthesia), then up to x-ray to have pics taken again, then to lab for ECG and bloodwork and then to an internist for yet another check (blood pressure again, listened to heart again and he gave me a little examination). This place where I'm having it done has a team approach and they were all really nice and they seem to know what they're doing (thank God!). And my surgeon is supposedly tops (he's head of ortho), so I think I'll be well taken care of. But the point that I'm taking forever to get to is that the nurse assured me that I won't be released from the hospital until I can shower and toilet myself (lovely) as well as do stairs on my own. So my fears about being alone are a little alleviated. I'm still a little concerned about it, but I do have lots of friends that will be popping by to make sure that I'm still alive and kicking! :heehee:

I still have to get this apartment cleaned up and put into order for when I get home and so I'll start in on that tomorrow. I still have work to do for the teacher coming in to replace me as well, so lots to keep me busy the next few days! But I'm officially off work now. And I'm so glad that I did take this week off because I've got lots to do! :groan:

And how are you doing? Are you all ready? Is your home all cleaned and set up for your return? Also, I still have to go out and get all those equipment things that we need for when we get home. The hospitals here in Ontario don't give you a kit, they just tell you what you need and you've gotta go out and get the stuff on your own. Sounds like you've already gotten it all AND have practiced with it!! You're such a keener!! :egypdance: But good for you, you're ahead of the game!!

As for time off work, there's no way I see myself going back after 3 weeks!! My surgeon says 3 months and so that's what I'm taking. I want to be fully recovered before heading back in there!! But if I'm good after 2 months, then I'll go back then. What do you do and how much time off are you planning on taking? Sorry to hear about your dad being hospitalized--hope he's up and feeling better soon. I'm sure you'll miss the care of your mom, although I'm betting she'll pop in on you from time to time (if you live in the same area). My mom died in 2001 and I have to admit, I'm missing her BIG time throughout this hip thing! If she were alive, she would totally take care of me and I wouldn't have a worry in the world, but I know she'll be looking down from above. :angel: I'll be fine. My circle of friends really are terrific and they will make sure that I'm okay.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply and I'd love to keep in touch with you and see how you're doing along the way!! :friends: You enjoy these last few days before we're under the knife!! Good luck!!! :thumb:

Peace out,

Foxy (Michelle)
 
Good luck to our January Jackpots for the coming week.. 10 Jan to 18 Jan... We have 10 members soon to have shiny new hips during this period... lovegardening ... You are on your way now hon... :)
 
Thank you!! Tuesday's the day!! I'll be posting from the other side soon enough!! :yay: Good luck to everyone going in this month!! :)

Peace out,

Foxy
 
Hi finn1913, how are you feeling? I hope all your preparations are going smoothly. Not long now!
 
Still doing prep, but it's coming along! Thanks!! :)

Peace out,

Foxy
 
I too am having a LTHR in January on the 22nd. It has been useful looking a this site. I am excited but fearful. Can't wait to be on the other side as you all say! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi, hip-hip! Welcome to BoneSmart! Glad you joined our family. Why don't you start a thread of your own and tell us a bit more about yourself. We love getting to know our members.
 
Hi to all the January hippies to be.. I have brought this list forward so that you can all see who your surgical buddies are and it helps us to follow your journey.

Good luck everyone, we will be waiting for you on the hip recovery side :)

03 Jan 2Bpainfree
07 Jan
09 Jan TJB and Mr12barbluz
10 Jan lovegardening
14 Jan ilovefall and Willatess
15 Jan abbydreams and Foxybrown
16 Jan CookingLoverGirl and gymrat1991
17 Jan Matsan and finn1913
18 Jan Knitter4444
21 Jan TiredHippy
22 Jan nanal and coolvoyage and wildsong and hip-hip-hooray-in-seattle
23 Jan stargirl
29 Jan emily76
30 Jan gailcoco and gershom and waltern31

 
Welcome hip hip horay.. I have added you to the January a list and brought it forward... Good luck to everyone for next week :)
 
Hope it went well!!! Look forward to reading about how you're doing!! :SUNsmile:

Peace out,

Foxy
 
Hi, Newbie here and scheduled for my thr on Jan 22nd. after almost ten years of limping and pain and a year of cortisone shots. I'm tired of this immobilty and inactivity, it is time to quit messing around and live my life again!
 
Hi finn1913, how are you feeling? I hope all your preparations are going smoothly. Not long now!

Hi Octopus..
Been away for a few days and just saw your post...

Thursday is the big day... a bit anxious.. was hoping to having it done in the morning but found out its not till 3pm. Told my mom I was going to bring a mars bar with me so my ortho can have a snack before my surgery and not get the 3pm munchies!!

How are you?
 
Good luck, Wildsong!!! :) Ten years? Can't imagine? My pain started 4 or 5 years ago ('07 or '08, can't remember!!) and I can't imagine doing double the time!!! :scary: I'm so glad you're getting this done--it'll give you a new lease on life!! :happydance:
See you on the other side! :thumb:

Peace out,

Foxy (Michelle)
 
:SUNsmile: Good Morning ladies- it appears that the 22nd will be a busy day for us. I have pre op tomorrow but that will go smoothly, I'm certain. My pre hospital prep has hit a road bump. I was so into getting everything together a couple of weeks ago but I just can't motivate myself to finish the task. Is this my mind playing tricks on me?
 
Hi finn1913,

Good luck for thursday! I agree, the morning would be better for the nerves. I like the mars bar idea :heehee:

I'm learning patience this side of surgery. Still waiting to be scheduled, I am told it will be in the next month or two. Was really hoping for January, but unless I get a cancellation it's more likely to be February. But that's only next month, so not so bad, I'm just getting a bit frustrated. Hoping to get the letter this week!

Come back and join everyone on the post-op side when you are able, I'll look out for you.

Best wishes
Diane
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom