January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Poppet, this is only a pre-op appointment :sad: but actual date should be in the following few weeks. Not long to go!!

Hi octopus I thought I would try and bring you good luck by at least getting you on the Jan list :) I can easily change the date when it is confirmed :)
 
Yay foxy!!! I wish my surgery was sooner now thanks to all of your incredible words of support I am excited for all of us and can't wait to be rid of this god forsaken pain and robbery of life!
 
Thank you!! And yours isn't too far behind mine! It'll be here before you know it and you'll be done with this pain and back to the business of living your life!! :yay: See you on the "other side"! :)

Peace out,

Foxy
 
Thanks foxy!! xx Never thought I'd say this but actually a little bit excited now , mainly at the prospect of a normal life again. Forgot what that is !
 
I hear ya! I swore when I got diagnosed with this OA that I'd wait years before having a hip replacement and now I can't wait to have the thing done!! Even this time last year I was saying that!! It's amazing how quickly things change! And now here I am thrilled to be going under the knife!! :yes!: Anyway, you have a great Christmas and we'll both be much happier in the New Year!! :SUNsmile:

Peace out,

Foxy
 
This OA is crazy. Never thought it would progress the way it has. Come on January and get here soon! Let's get this done!
 
Thank you, TiredHippy, for the welcome! :) And, Diane, you're right, this OA IS crazy!!! At this time last year I was not even considering a hip replacement anytime soon! But but around July of this year, it was a different story! But, hey, we're this shy of being pain free! Yippee!! :cheers:

Peace out,

Foxy
 
Welcome to 2Bpainfree who has joined the January Jackpots 2013..

Just spotted your new thread 2B so have added you to the list on page 2 of this thread.. Now you can see who your Jan surgical buddies are...

Once again welcome :)
 
Welcome to the January Jackpots nanal I have just added you to the surgical list on the previous page.. Now you can get to know your Jan surgical buddies :)
 
Wow, look at the list for Jan on the previous page... Lots of surgical friends to travel the journey with...
 
Hi and Happy Holidays to everyone. This is my first time to post but I am so glad I found this sight. I am having a THR of right hip on 12/6/12...just a week and a half away! I have never had any major surgery (other than gall bladder removal) and I must admit...the closer it gets, the more nervous and scared I am getting. My hip problems only started a year ago. Up until then I am fortunate enough to say I was "healthy as a horse". When it came on, it came on with full force for me. This past year has been bad. I keep wondering if I should wait. I know the answer is no. I went with my daughter's for our annual "Black Friday shopping event" last week. I made it 2 1/2 hours in the first store but in the second and third store I ended up having to go to the car and wait for the others. The pain in the groin area just kept getting so bad after walking for awhile. Can someone P L E A S E give me some words of encouragement? I feel like crying right now and I can't do that because I'm at work. I'm usually a really tough person but this is getting to me...
No! don't wait. The pain you describe will eventually get so bad that you won't be able to get in and out of the car let alone walk around for hours. Get it fixed as soon as you have a chance!
 
I am scheduled for bilateral total hip replacements on January 30th. Any advice on physical preparation (e.g., flexibility or strengthening exercises) leading up to surgery? Advice from anyone who has been through a bilateral would be appreciated!

January marks many "new beginnings" and so it will be for those of you having joint replacement surgery this month!

You have hit the January Jackpot!!

[Bonesmart.org] January Jackpots 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??


If you're having surgery in January, please post here and join the group. It is so helpful to have the support of others who will go through the waiting for surgery and recovery along with you.
 
Gershom,

I'm not a bilateral but a January 21st revision, so I've been down the block once now. There are a couple of things to help. One is to make sure you have everything you need ahead of time, like toilet seat raisers, shower benches, a walker, a grabber, cane, and a sock helper thingie. Pick up all loose rugs if you don't have carpet. And clear out all hallways - no clutter in your major pathways.

Some of these things you may get in rehab, and it may be a good idea to go to rehab for a week or two after a bi-lateral hip replacement. I went one week and am glad I did. As far as what you can do physically, working on upper body and core strength really helps recovery. This can be as easy as getting out of your favorite chair 10-20 times at once, 3 times a day. I don't know what shape you're in, so you may want to ask your Dr. I use water exercise too, to stretch and practice arm and core exercises without stressing my joints.

Make sure you have friends and family available to help. I live alone, so I'll stock my freezer and pantry, ahead. Dog is going to the dog sitter's because I don't want to trip over him.

These are the basics. What approach are you having? Is it Anterior or Posterior or some mix? If you have an Anterior, you may do very well quickly, even with having both done. We'll have to see how the bi-laterals weigh in, to get specific advice. You can type in "bi-lateral hip replacement" in the search window and find many good past threads on your questions. A forum moderator should come through fairly soon with a lot of helpful links for you too.

Welcome to our little community and Happy Holidays.

T.H.
 
Hello, gershom welcome to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined. we have quite a few members who have had bilateral joint replacements, one of our many success stories is Deb (aka djklaugh). I have tagged Deb and I am sure she will pop by at some stage and have a natter with you.

Would you like to start your own thread in the hip pre op area. You will find a black tab at the top right hand side displaying ‘Post New Thread’. Click on that and decide on the title you want for your thread, then start writing and share a little about your story that has lead you to a THR.

The benefit of having your own thread is that you can ask more specific questions relating to your personal situation and we can answer them. Also other members will pop by and respond to you directly with their experiences and support.

Looking forward to your first post in your own thread, then I can give you some links to our extensive list of articles which may answer some of your concerns, knowledge is power... but fire away with any questions, we love questions.

Here is a particular favorite of mine to get you started.

Five “P’s” of hip recovery

Once again, welcome, we are here to support and encourage you, I will add your name to the January list which is most likely on a previous page of this thread, you will be able to see who your surgical buddies are for the month!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom