Janet’s Journey, Part 2

Hi @newhip126. Hope you get insurance straightened out soon.

In terms of new hip hurting, I did not have pain in the joint per se, but due to gimping the muscles and bursa, etc became very tender and painful. Os believes that after right heals, left will get back to normal.
 
@MammaT

My joint doesn’t hurt, it’s all the muscles in front of and in back of thigh.

@Layla

I do remember being scared last time too. Not sure if this is more or less.

Had pre op testing and joint class today. OS likes to keep patients hydrated so Gatorade and water is good til 3 hours before surgery - that’s different than most surgeons. Had blood work, physical, nasal swab, EKG and chest x Ray. All is well. I’ll be staying 2 nights if all goes well. There’s even a massage therapist on ortho floor for patients. Just need to stay well and keep busy til March 5.
 
Sounds pretty much like mine did @newhip126. Will be glad when I get completely off walker, think everything will feel better. Like Josephine tells us, everything is connected.

That’s great you can have fluids up to three hours prior to surgery, especially if surgery isn’t first thing in morning. And massage therapy-wow!

I also had two night stay, it seemed about right for me. I lived in fear of catching anything last two weeks-did tons of hand washing and hand sanitizer.

Good luck with final prep-you’re almost there, then be ready for some summer fun!
 
Sometimes we get so caught up in unrealistic expectations to get thru hip replacement & we want to do well and it is very normal. In some cases it gets complicated and as many have experienced a difficult issue to talk about is addiction. Addiction is not a weekness or failing it's a psychological and physical dependency and a progressive disease. I know you have a better understanding how these drugs can fool us into believing we are doing well. Many of the triggers to need the drug can be overwhelming, even better you have shared what you experienced. That is a good thing.:yes!: Your honesty shared here is impressive and I beleive in you and wish you a susccessful recovery on your next hip replacement . You are joined many of us here who know and understand and wish you well on your next journey.,:flwrysmile:
 
Massage therapist....Woohoo! The Ritz of Surgery Centers.
I hope the next 17 days fly for you, Janet.
Warm wishes for a wonderful weekend!
@newhip126
 
@Josephine

How do you feel about supplements for joint health? My OS never mentioned them, and the PA couldn’t believe I was on so few meds and no supplements. I always thoughts supplements were a scam and know I’m wondering if I need some. Blood tests came back fine.

Thursday after my pre op appointment I got a raging head cold. Felt terrible Friday but I’m getting better. Should I tell OS about cold? It’s going away, and surgery is in 2 weeks.

Thank you!!
 
@Layla

I just had a head cold that started Thursday and it’s way better already. I’m taking NyQuil cold and flu severe. Should I call OS about cold? Thanks for your advice.
 
Hi Janet,
I'm sorry you caught a cold. This year seems to be brutal with colds and flu!
If it were me, I wouldn't call especially because you're already feeling better.
You still have over 2 weeks until your surgery and if you're feeling better already,
I'm sure you'll be feeling 100% in plenty of time.
Drinks lots of fluids, get lots of rest.....feel better!
@newhip126
 
Hi @Layla

I’m so relieved you said that. I couldn’t possibly wait any longer for this surgery. Feels like life is on hold til then. Driving me crazy. Can’t do anything like exercise or shopping, bored and just over myself. I guess we all reach this point. Just gotta wait. Thank you!
 
Just noticed a few posts back your pre-op is on Thursday.
Talk to your PCP then if you still have your cold....
That will still be 11 days before your surgery.
@newhip126
 
Got it, glanced at it too quickly.

If it were me....and I'm not a medical professional,
I'd give it a few days more because you said it's improving already.
Even if it wasn't gone until a week from now, that's still 9 days before your surgery.
I'd be careful about going out in public any more than needed because your resistance
is down and that's when we pick up the crud. Get lots of rest!
@newhip126
 
Hope all is getting better with that cold. I swear everyone I know has some form of cold, flu, bronchitis.....you name it.
Suck up the orange juice, Vitamin C and stay positive.
It's going to be a great summer for you!:SUNsmile:
 
Laying on couch trying to feel better. Now glands in neck are swollen and throat is stabbing in pain. Guess it’s time to call a doctor in morning. Head cold is better, just new symptoms. Made chicken soup Sunday, tasted so good with being sick.

My bf was rubbing the side of soon to be replaced hip. His touch wasn’t heavy, but I was so sensitive I had to ask him to stop. Feels like side of leg is bruised but nothing is showing. I wonder if I’m so sensitive to any pain.
 
Sorry that cold is being so nasty @newhip126. You still have time to recover. I think a trip to doctor definitely in order.

In terms of sensitive in hip, you undoubtedly have a lot of inflammation in there that is adding to sensitivity.

Hope you can get some rest tonight and some meds tomorrow.
 
@MammaT

How’s that walker treating you? I rushed myself off the walker last time. I’m taking a better approach to this surgery. I don’t think I appreciate the severity.
 
Probably using cane about 90 percent of time. Pt thought I was ready for it since walker is almost in the way. Not going to rush losing it completely. Hip is still improving in stability. Plus table on walker makes it much easier to carry things.

I think with first hip I really wanted to get healed more quickly. While I am hitting some frustrations this time, I am trying not to rush some of it, like total transition to cane and how quickly I drive and get back to work. I have no doubt the push last time gave me some soreness and irritation longer that I didn’t need.

Do be ready @newhip126, the second recovery may be completely different from first. It is helpful at least knowing what basics to expect.
 
Hi Janet, Hoped to check in and find you were feeling better. On the contrary :gaah:
I'm sorry you're struggling. Colds are so miserable :mcoffee: My husband has one now and I'm avoiding
him like the plague. I can only imagine how you feel with a surgery looming on the horizon.
You still have time to get well but checking in with your doc may give you some peace of mind.
Feel better! Keep us posted....
@newhip126
 
So after you asked that question about walker @newhip126, more soreness today, especially after pt. Splitting time more evenly between walker and cane today. Thanks for the reminder-no need to rush and if I get uncomfortable from it and walker feels better, need to listen and go back to basics.
 
Back
Top Bottom