Guest viewing is limited

Janet’s Journey, Part 2

You know you will be able to take your painkillers WHEN you have to have them. I'm guessing you have a support group that will help you through this? My son certainly does and having someone 'hold' your pain meds shows you are putting the appropriate safeguards in place.
There maybe some additional work to be done as you recover, but my guess is you ours this too!
Getting this THR done will take away your true need for any type of pain relievers in the future is my prayer.
 
@Mojo333 I’m having my boyfriend, who is a blessing, hold my pain meds. I even have him check on my usage of naproxen because those addictive behaviors creep in wherever they can.

Can I vent? My washing machine broke so my laundry piled up. As I did my 4th load yesterday, my boyfriend asks why do I look so miserable!!?? I was having a good day, pain wise, and thought I’d catch up. Even though I wasn’t hurting, I was exhausted, annoyed and crabby. Why do I have to smile all the time? I know he means well, he had one hip replaced himself, but why ask annoying questions? Is it just me being sensitive?
 
By the way, he offered to handle laundry for me from now on. He doesn’t even live with me. Now I feel bad .
 
Hi Janet,
You're very wise in trusting your boyfriend with your meds. He does sound like a blessing.

With surgery staring you down and the anxiety it carries coupled with your fears of a repeat performance of last time AND any pain you're suffering, does not equal big happy smiley faces. But since he called your attention to it. It must bother him.
Let's try to keep this blessing of a pill holder person happy because he sounds like a good guy!

Check out this little piece of info: Neurotransmitters called endorphins are released when you smile. These are triggered by the movements of the muscles in your face, which is interpreted by your brain, which in turn releases these chemicals. Endorphins are responsible for making us feel happy, and they also help lower stress levels. I say.... Fake It Till You Make It! :wink: :yes: :)

Warmest wishes for a day full of things that make you smile.
Love and hugs coming your way :friends: :loveshwr:
@newhip126
 
@Layla
We do want to keep the bf happy, he’s in charge of the drugs . You’re very right about my not smiling him bothering him. We started dating in 1983 -that’s NOT a typo -, broke up as teenagers and found our way back to each other in 2011. He’s not nitpicky so I can try harder.

I liked learning about endorphins and will take your friendly advice. Thank you for showing me another side.
 
Sometimes it's hard for guys when we're upset or in pain. They feel like they need to be our champions and fix things but sometimes that's just not possible. Maybe it will help if you let him know it will help you if you know you can just let everything out and vent when you need to and that the only thing you need at that point is a hug. Let him know it's the emotional equivalent of you not feeling like you have to wear makeup and be dressed up anytime he's around. In other words, you being able to express how you're feeling physically and emotionally is a way of telling him you love him and feel safe about his love for you!:roseshwr:
 
Sure you are probably being crabby for no good reason. We all do.
Not like you don't have alot on your mind:whistle:
I know every time my son was not cheery, I worried that he was going to turn to his old go tos...
Really is very unhelpful to expect people to be okay 100% of the time, but we want so bad to fix things.
Try searching 'it's not about the nail on you tube. Hilarious!
My son reckons it is him and his high strung girlfriend!:)
 
@Mojo333 I love that video!! It’s in my YouTube fav’s. Even though I’m female, when it comes to my daughter and I communicating, she’s the woman and I’m the guy. We both got a big laugh from it. And learned something too.
 
Hey, @AJinNH
It could be me and my drama daughter also, just realized
Hope today is a Good Day Janet.
Less than a month now, and you will be a double hippy!
 
@newhip126 I get criticised for not smiling enough all the time! As a child I had very crooked teeth so I rarely smiled. I finally saved enough money and at age 36 wore braces for 4 years. I guess I just never got into the habit of smiling all the time. Not sure why this bothers some people - but you are right it's not a helpful comment.

Waiting for surgery is downright exhausting. Even if you aren't hurting - the stress gets you. Hope you can relax after your marathon laundry day!
 
@Mojo333
Oh my goodness, that video was hilarious! I laughed out loud. I realized sometimes I’m the guy, sometimes I’m the girl. Isn’t that great? I loved that. Thank you for showing me. I’m still laughing... Because using is not on MY radar, doesn’t mean my bf doesn't have the right to be worried. Goodness knows I’ve put him through enough.

@SaraK
Jim does do the fixer thing a lot, but I’ve also put him in that position. I like it when it benefits me, but when I feel it doesn’t, I get annoyed!!

You all are worth your weight in gold for my mental health. Got me thinking, laughing, realizing...
 
Glad you got back to laughing @newhip126. Four loads of laundry can make me grumpy. Maybe he asked what was wrong because he wanted to make sure nothing else was going on?

In terms of pain meds,just want to share I am finding need for less medication with second hip. Even when I was on dilaudid with PCA, only took once or twice an hour. With Percocet 5since been home, one plus a Tylenol has done it. Went from 11 pm to 7:30 with nothing (slept through that dose). Took dose when I woke up since I was stiff and a bit sore, but smaller dose and ice are fine. Am very pleased with lesser need for pain meds. Hope you are also pleasantly surprised.
 
@MammaT

So glad to hear 2nd time around is going well. It does help to know your experiences and gives me good thoughts to look forward to. I know from last surgery, I won’t have a pca but will have oxycodone 5, 1 or 2 (my call) every so many hours. Here’s a new idea for me...try 1 at a time.... you’re probably right about bf being scared something else was happening. I’m paying better attention these days.

Had to reschedule pre op testing today for next Thursday due to weather. I still have lots of time so that doesnt worry me. I called surgeon’s office today, they are all so kind and professional.

How is recovery otherwise? Was surgery same as first time, generally?
 
Surgery went a bit quicker than last. Last time there was small issue with fracture, none this time. Difference in pain from the start. That may have been from block. So far bruising is not as severe, but I realize it can continue to appear. Nausea was better; although I did have some. Movement/stride is a bit longer this time. Son has commented several times on how much better I am moving.

After taking shower I am pretty wiped out. Since nurse is coming at some point I will have hervshow son how to put teds back on. Pt is scheduled between 3-4. Going to rest up until visits done.

Hopefully second recovery continues as it ha started.

Good luck with your prep @newhip126. Thinking of you.
 
@MammaT

Would you believe I did not have 1 bruise on me after last surgery. My bf had hip done, has diabetes and was purple from hip to ankle. My recovery was easier than his too. His hip had deteriorated much more and was in surgery longer.

@Josephine

Just curious how much does bruising have to do with individual’s medical issues or surgeon skill? Thank you.
 
Hi Janet,
Hope you're having a good day! I find the question you posed for Jo interesting.
I look forward to her response.
Sounds like you have a great guy in Jim, you're blessed! Thirty Five years is a long haul,
you two must be doing something right aside from replacing worn out body parts :heehee:
To many more years of you two keeping each other in line....
A great weekend to you!
@newhip126
 
Bruising is a funny thing. Pt was just here, she said it is not unusual for it to appear days 4-7, although last time I had more right from start and it got worse. Don’t know if it is overal medical condition, presurgery meds, actual procedure or luck of draw. I’ve read of others with bruises completely down leg.
 
The only bruising I had was where the drain tubes were inserted.:shrug:
My quads however felt like they were used as punching bags!
Maybe those good old drain tubes are the reason!:idea:
Haven't heard them mentioned much. Had mine in for about six hours after coming to...about 7 1/2 hours after surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom