Janet’s Journey, Part 2

Hi Janet,
Obviously I know the feeling well. I was very anxious pre-op mainly because I didn't
know what to expect. Please make use of the library here under the blue header, top of the page.
There's so much useful info there. Then of course you have us pro's :heehee: to hold your hand and help you through. In addition, I'll bet once you start going through the motions, it will all come flooding back from your last THR. Also....don't forget that we have Josephine for all the medical stuff we have no biz giving advice on.
So no worries!
@newhip126
 
Here's my fave:chuckmarch:
Me, doing the double hippy dance!
 
Last edited:
If he means you’re forgetting stuff from first surgery, don’t worry, it will come back. And as Layla said, there are folks here who can help with practical stuff and Josephine is great on medical information. My second recovery so far is much smoother than first. Probably combination of better knowledge, different op meds, hip not quite as destroyed. Not much longer @newhip126.
 
@newhip126 sorry to hear about having to postpone your course, these pesky hips do get in the way of life! Is there any chance you could do the first part of the course on-line/by post? Nowadays it seems strange that an educational institution isn't accessible....have you asked them what arrangements are in place for wheelchairs? Just a thought....you may decide you're glad of the chance to take it easy at home a little bit longer to heal !
 
@anny

I forgot about places having to be accessible. Although I couldn’t maneuver a wheelchair and school books thru city streets by myself. Everything happens for a reason, and I will just wait it out to next year when I can have the full experience.
 
Yes I think I'd probably make the same decision......taking on something new is challenging enough without having to cope with mobility problems....at least you'll be able to give it your full attention without worrying about moving on to your next class, AND you will hopefully be over the 'lack of energy' stage....no nodding off in lectures :yawn::no-fin:
 
@anny

Part of my reason for choosing this particular school is the culinary students make lunch for us every day, a 4 course meal. Lunch is in a different building down the street, across train/street car tracks. Just a nice walk away.

Getting to school would be an adventure either driving there or (and I’m excited about this) take a bus 3/4 of the way then transfer to subway to arrive at school. I’m a real geek student who loves new journeys and adventures. So waiting on school will afford me the chance to experience everything and enjoy my new hip. The thought of walking city streets without pain is exciting.
 
Sounds brilliant @newhip126 ....I particularly like the sound of the catered lunch (tho I'd have to run back home to work it off.....maybe it's as well you need to wait till you're more mobile :wink:) Starting a new phase in your life, without the pain that has narrowed your life recently, is enormously exciting......new hip, new experiences, new friends.....couldn't be better :wowspring:
 
I’m so thankful to bonesmart. I tend to worry most in the middle of the night, so I come in here and see if I can help anyone or learn something. It’s always one or the other every night.

Just so tired of groin pain. Feels like a ball of muscles have been ripped in my groin. I know it’s my hip, so I just wait it out. Less than 3 weeks til surgery. Tonight is first time I’ve taken pain medication since last year as I’m not sure when to stop Naproxen. Pre op testing and class is on Thursday so I’ll find out exact quit date. I didn’t want to take Naproxen if it’s too close to surgery.
 
Double new hips. Yay. Not long now.:yahoo:
 
@newhip126 so sorry you're having a lot of pain, does the Naproxen help much? I've not found anything that seems to make a difference.....so I don't take anything (except the usual ibuprofen for headaches etc). I'm lucky I don't get the dreaded groin pain.....mine's all round the back, and most of the time is fairly ignorable....I think my most annoying symptoms are the stiff hip, and the feeling of deep bruising on each hip when I lie on them at night....that keeps me tossing and turning, and reading B/S posts when I should be asleep :heehee: Don't blame you being wary about taking the meds near to your op....read too many posts of THRs being postponed.....I'm much later in March but I'm guzzling down the zinc and vit C supplements just in case, and watching my GPs website for when they start the flu vax.....wouldn't have entered my head if I hadn't read it on this forum, so midnight lurking is paying off :yes!: Hope your pain abates so that you can stop the Naproxen, and that your pre-op goes without a hitch. Three weeks will probably whizz by with all the things that need sorting beforehand :SUNsmile:
 
@Mojo333
I know! Can’t wait :spin:

@anny

Naproxen takes the burning type pain out of my groin, doesn’t help the “muscle pull” or stiffness, but I’m thankful for any relief. Other pain meds don’t help at all. I know the tossing and turning, I’m so tired but hip goes numb if I lay on it so sleep is a luxury. I spend a lot of my night reading BS too.
 
I kept heating pad on my poor bad hips and lower back until I was almost extra crispy.
No meds touched it.
Heat soothed it...or at least somehow comforted me.
 
I was told no anti inflammatory meds 7-10 days prior to surgery, but after reading all the different protocols don’t know what your office recommends. Bone class should provide answers. I didn’t think they were doing much until I quit them. Sorry for the sleepless nights. All of that together really has us ready to be wheeled into that room.
 
Last edited:
Hi Janet,
Sorry to hear of your discomfort. It certainly seems to ramp up toward the end. That groin pain is the worst.
I don't know about you, but toward the end the front of my thigh started to ache also.
Like a toothache....drove me nuts!
Consider a heating pad at night as Mojo mentioned. I did that toward the end to get to sleep at night.
I didn't sleep with it on, nor would I recommend that, but it was comforting as I watched tv for a short time before I fell asleep.

I'ts great to hear we're keeping you company, day or night. BoneSmart can be like a beacon in the darkness.
I'd like to thank you for your contributions to the forum.
Hope your day is great!
@newhip126
 
I tried a hot pad, but the weather is so hot and humid here at the moment I ended up soggy, not crispy :boohoo:
 
Hi Everyone,

Got a call today from surgeon’s PA. Insurance company denied surgery so I answered a lot of questions for the appeal - am I in pain, take any pain meds, doing my exercises, using my cane, unable to put shoes and socks on, am I sure I’m not using my cane??? Waiting to hear if surgery will be approved. Wondering if others have been denied?

@NanaMama

I got cathed for previous hip. The nurse put it in once I was under sedation so it was a non-issue. Nice to not run to bathroom first night. Nurse took cath out Day after surgery. I just took deep breath and it was out. No issues and barely felt it slide out.

@Layla

I think you asked in another thread who had drains. I didn’t with 1st hip. I’ll find out tomorrow about 2nd hip. Wondering what all has changed in a year. I go for pre op testing and class tomorrow at hospital.

Is anyone pre op doing exercises? I know I’m not as I can barely lift right leg. When I got the call about surgery denial, I started to doubt need for operation. Had thoughts like others maybe I’m not in bad shape. Went to store and couldn’t get out of truck after due to pain and stiffness. My quality of life is non existent as watching tv or playing computer games is extent of enjoyment these days due to lack of mobility. I guess waffling between knowing I need surgery and thinking I don’t is normal. @hikejunkie We are similar in this thinking.
 
I wanted to ask everyone if good hip started hurting before surgery. My replaced hip has now started to ache and have pangs of pain. I guess just further evidence surgery is necessary.
 
Your replaced hip is hurting? Sympathy pains :heehee:

I received pre-op exercises to do the week before surgery. I didn't do them.

Yes, waffling is normal. It's a big decision and big step.....major surgery.
I can't imagine anyone skipping merrily in. And I mean no sarcasm. It's a really big deal!
I think we like to know we can exercise an escape clause if we choose. Makes us feel a measure of control. Make any sense? Does to me :heehee: Signing up is total loss of control. They're going to put you to sleep and have their way with you and it ain't pretty!
That's the way I felt anyway.
 
Last edited:
Do you remember these feelings from your last surgery, Janet? Just curious....
I hope if I ever have my other hip done I'd be less anxious, but knowing myself I'm sure
I'll need to be talked off the ledge all over again :beg::bawl:
 
Back
Top Bottom