BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Janet’s Journey, Part 2

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by newhip126, Feb 3, 2018.

1. newhip126

newhip126 member

United States United States
    Hello, I’m back for my second hip replacement, the right one this time. My left hip surgery went so fast and was very easy for me. I left the hospital after 2 days using a cane and ditched that after a week. I don’t know what I was trying to prove, or who I was trying to impress, but I ended up a mess.

Physically I was a marvel, surpassing all recovery expectations. Emotionally and mentally, I totally relied upon the pain medications and took them for months after surgery, keeping that hidden from everyone. I hesitated to share this journey because I’ve searched your forum for addiction issues and haven’t had success. I cannot be the only hippie who got addicted to their pain meds. Although I wish that was truly the case.

For this right total hip replacement, I’ve let doctors, nurses, friends, family, and now all of you know the truth of my past. A family member will hold my pain meds after surgery, and once I am truly experiencing less pain, I will communicate that to everyone. I pray this journey ends better than the first one.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Wishing you a pain-free recovery! It must be difficult to face a second surgery knowing the difficulties you had controlling the meds last time. We're here whenever you need someone to talk to or a bit of encouragement!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. newhip126

newhip126 member

Thank you. I just want to share my experience so someone else knows they aren’t alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

Thank you for sharing. It's always nice to have someone who understands.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    Thank you for sharing, and to have the courage to admit that hip#1 had issues.
    Live and learn.
    Hoping #2 is seamless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Janet,
    Welcome back!
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    I'm sorry to hear of the drug dependency that became part of your recovery last time around.
    While you searched the site for addiction issues and found none it doesn't mean they haven't existed here, or that you're alone. We've all heard of the opioid crisis and how it has reached epidemic proportions. Sadly you fell prey, but thankfully you've triumphed.

It sounds as though you have a network of people willing to hold you accountable as you move through your next surgery and recovery. That's a blessing. You'll have us also. We're not here to judge but to offer encouragement and support as you journey through. So please re-familiarize yourself with the site and stop by often. There is a wealth of information to be found here, as well as many wonderful understanding people. You're never alone here.

Warm wishes for a relaxing Sunday and peaceful week!
    @newhip126

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ArleneS

ArleneS new member

Can someone please tell me how to get my messages. For some reason I cannot get around this site. I log in and it says I got six messages and one like and I have no idea where to go Help

8. newhip126

newhip126 member

Layla,

I want to thank you for your kind words and encouragement. As I stated earlier, I don’t want anyone to feel alone so I came forward with my story. I suffered in silence during my last hip replacement and refuse to do so again. If I’ve learned anything this past year, it is our secrets keep us sick.

Nobody wants to become dependent upon medications, many hold off surgery because of such fears. I debated within myself whether to share or keep quiet so as not to do harm to anyone. It became the elephant in the room for me. I learned I have a predisposition to addiction/dependence and most people have surgery, take the meds as directed and then quit and are fine. I hope nobody takes my experience and puts off surgery because of fear.

I’m very uncomfortable with having another surgery for many reasons, dependence being one of them, but not the only reason. Education is the way to achieve freedom, I believe. I’m so thankful to put myself out there just in the encouraging words I’m heard so far.

We are never alone in this journey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are doing all the right way, I think.
    You can do this, one day at a time.
    I think your recovery story will be inspiring to many (no pressure, but as an inspiration you have even more motivation:))
    Having that other bad hip gone will truly make life easier too!
    :wave:glad you joined us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Addiction concerns are real @newhip126. There is no shame in it. I am glad you are sharing your experience. Being open about it is important.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. newhip126

newhip126 member

@Mojo333 Inspiration, motivation and accountability are driving forces.

I’m keeping a journal during this experience although I tried to do so last time. I was not consistent and can’t remember a lot even though it was only a year ago.

My surgeon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was wonderful last time so I’m hoping he performs the same. He said my experience may differ this time even if he does everything the exact way as before. It’s just how the body reacts. My last hip surgery he didn’t leave one bruise on me. My boyfriend had his done by another surgeon and was purple from his hip to his ankle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Thanks for sharing @newhip126 that is very courageous of you. Addiction to pain killers is a real problem, with many of those starting with prescription drugs after a medical procedure. While we’re all told it’s best to keep the pain at bay, I think there is a tendency to go overboard.
    With the prescription drug crisis being what it is, I’m quite sure that’s you’re not alone on this forum. You’re just the first one brave enough to talk about it. Talking about it is so important in overcoming it, for you and everyone else.
    I think everyone should discuss how their pain will be managed. I’ve asked for a conservative approach that can be tweaked as necessary.
    Thank you for bringing into the light an issue that should be a concern for anyone who needs pain management.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mascaramom

Mascaramom member

((((@newhip126 ))))
    There is nothing that I can say that the others haven't. Just add me to the LONG LIST of people here to LISTEN, NOT JUDGE, and SUPPORT, NOT POINT FINGERS.
    GOOD LUCK to you

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @newhip126 Welcome back - we are with you all the way!

You do know there are alternative meds that might be addictive don't you? I can't take the heavy duty pain killers so did not have them post both THRs. Discuss this with your surgeon. In the first days you do need to stay ahead of the post-op pain so that you can get your mobility back.

I look forward to following your journey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. newhip126

newhip126 member

I knew I was right to listen to my gut. I knew you all would be supportive and caring. Those who don’t understand may learn something through my story. Opiate addiction can happen to anyone.

I’m a 51 year old single middle class woman. I started out taking the meds because I needed them. I’ve had many surgeries and can’t help asking “why this time did I become addicted?” Thinking back maybe I always took too many after I really needed them, but I always had a job and family counting on me. During my hip surgery I was and had been off work and living alone. One the pain subsided, I took an extra pill because I was lonely, bored, shut off from friends and family, lonely....did I say lonely?? One pill turned into two extra, then every time the buzz subsided, I took another pill. It just snowballed.

It really doesn’t matter why I got addicted, I did. It was more than dependence. What matters is how I handle this episode in my life. I am returning to school. It was supposed to be in April 2018, but surgery has changed that to July 2018. I’m taking opiates as little as possible with someone else holding them. I have naproxen I can take, ice I can use and a purpose in life.

Thank you all for your support. I’ll be counting on you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @newhip126
    Thank you for trusting us enough to count on us.
    Promise we won't let you down.
    Sending a hug....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All I took post both THR were NSAIDs. Naproxen for the last THR. You will be fine with this plus icing and a bit of Tylenol if needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great for you to go back to school.
    Getting on with life rocking new hips!
    You've got this...asked this forum was certainly an important tool for my recovery!
    I'm sure you get that the best support and advice you can have, is from those who know!

19. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

@newhip126 my OS suggested that I may be able to control my post surgical pain with Tylenol (I can’t take NSAIDS anymore) but he stressed the ‘maybe’. I hope you’re able to use something other than opioids to control your pain and remove worry from your recovery.
    When I had to stop taking NSAIDS because of reflux a few years ago, I decided to take nothing for the pain and instead listen to my body. It was hard for the first few months, but after that my pain actually lessened drastically. For me, I think my body became more sensitive to pain while taking pain medication, the more I took it, the more I needed it to relieve pain. I talked to other people who have had similar experiences. Also, because I was now listening to my body, I was less likely to do things that made me hurt, or I stopped doing them if I started to hurt.
    Also, the OS told me that because I’m not taking anything for pain currently my post surgical pain ‘should’ be easier to manage.
    Not everyone can stop their pain Meds, I’m not preaching that at all. But I do believe that many times we do ourselves a disservice by relying on medication. The NSAIDs permanently harmed my GI tract, yet for 3 years I’ve been managing without taking anything. If I have a lot of pain after surgery I will take whatever I need to be mobile while I heal, I know that’s important towards my recovery. But I’ve also learned that, for me, less is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. newhip126

newhip126 member

@AJinNH you’re very correct about pain which I’ve learned recently. Taking pain meds makes a person more sensitive to pain so any amount hurts a lot worse. I have a friend who was on massive painkillers. You couldn’t hug her, however lightly, or you’d feel how tense and sensitive she was to anyone’s touch.

Thank you for reaching out.