Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side and feeling really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PegGene I just caught up with you, still haven't mastered this forum, I hope your discomfort will diminish soon. Once you recover it will be a distant memory and you'll be doing all the things you've wanted to do for so long. Wishing you all the best.
 
Hi @Plum Perfect Thank you so much for reading and responding to my recovery thread. I so appreciate your encouragement and support. I recall your name from other threads, but I can't remember if you've had your surgery yet? If not, when is your surgery and what kind? I wish you all the best as well. This grup is just so comforting and so informative and I feel we are SO fortunate to have it.
 
Hi @Legin! Yes, I believe they are. I'm still in quite a bit of pain but I'm considering it normal healing pain: burning, tingling, aching, cramping in different areas from my incision down to my foot, but it's diminishing and I have found that I'm able to cut back on the oxy now and take my tramadol in between (my pre-op meds were Tramadol 3x a day and Mobic 2x a day). As the Monitors said, when you forget to take your meds that's a good sign it's time to cut back, and this is what was happening-I would check my med chart and found a few times that I was over-due for a dose! At times, I wasn't feeling like I needed it so I decided to take a Tramadol instead.

I went out today (my mom drove) to take my daughter to the doctor, then took her to get xrays, and then we went to the store to buy some household items and I used my cane the whole time except in the department store. I used the motorized scooter because I was in/out of the car and up/down out of chairs so often I knew it would be too much. This is the first time I went out and didn't bring my walker! It felt good, but I feel a bit weak in the leg and unsteady when I use the cane.

Thanks so much for asking, I hope you're doing well also. Take care and I hope you have a great week.
 
Sounds like you had a very active and successful day. Now it's time to take it easy with rest, ice and elevation! Have a wonderful and peaceful night.
 
Hi, @PegGene ,

I have been Bonesmart stalking you since you live very close to me in Eldersburg; I live in Columbia, Md and I am seriously considering Dr. Ciotola for my THR in January. :flwrysmile:

I am so happy you seem to be coming a,one well.
 
Hi @PegGene, I'm with @Cynthia777 on this one, you sound like you are recovering really well and making some significant progress. Long may it continue!

Good luck and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
You are doing just fine. Listening to your body and mixing some real life activities all be it the store. That tired fatigued feeling can come out from nowhere so be careful not to over extend your self. Have a truly grand week.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hope you're having a good day today. I totally get the comparisons and impatience. You HAVE to put them away and work your very own recovery. Whatever is right for you. And as you know, post your questions and anxieties and experiences and you will get feedback that will help.
 
Hi @sandiegomom I'm SO sorry I just now saw your post from last Friday on another thread. I don't know why I didn't see it until now or I would've replied sooner. My mom arrived from out of State on Saturday to help out and I've been spending much more time with her and less on the site so it's been tough keeping up. I DO seem to be progressing much more the last week and feel so much more positive about things and less worried. Today is my first day in "real" pants....I mean, not stretchy elastic waist pants and my first day walking with a cane at the park...very short distance, but it felt so good. I hope you are doing great and I do appreciate the support. :friends:
 
@pamac @AndyH99 @Legin @Cynthia777 @Nana757 I am overwhelmed with all of your support and encouragement almost to the point of tears. It really means a LOT! I DO feel much better about everything and notice the improvements I've made this week...it was like it "stalled" a bit that 2nd week, but then the third week, right after I had my 2 week follow-up, progress picked up again (I'll be at 3 weeks on Friday).

Yesterday I had a great day like I mentioned, and I felt it last night. The pain and stiffness really increased so I elevated, iced, used my walker for the rest of the night, took a oxy at bedtime and prepared mentally to have a sore and quiet day today in order to recover. WELL, I slept through from 11:30 to 6:30 a.m. the entire night! and woke up with less back pain and no pain in my leg/hip this morning!!! So I didn't have to sit all day and recover but I did have a quieter day today than yesterday. I had a dentist appt. this morning to pick up my mouthguard for my TMJ, went to the park closeby and walked a very short distance with my cane-but it was awesome to be at a park, sunshine and fresh air and walking! Stopped at a little farmers market on the way home and got some fresh vegetables and baked goods, went home feeling good, little sore, iced up and napped for an hour! Now I'm sitting in my recliner with ice and resting the rest of the evening.

@1 HIP I Wonder So nice to meet you! Ah, Columbia, you're right down the road! Thank you for following my thread, I hope it was able to help you and give you some reassurance in some way. I'd highly recommend Dr. C. I had no swelling and no bruising so I think he's very gentle and good what he does. If there's any way I can help you, please tag me or PM me and I'd be happy to. I also give high scores to Mercy, their Joint Replacement Program is top notch, they have the process down to a science. Take care and good luck with your replacement.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say....:dancy: I'm so happy for you! Yes, our Bonesmart family is like none other!!! I really find most of you as my family...the bond is strong. :-)
 
@PegGene, the description of your day made me grin from ear to ear. I am SO glad you're seeing improvement and are able to get out and do a few normal, everyday things. That must feel so wonderful!
You remain in my prayers and will as you travel this journey. Here's to many, many more good days. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath Thank you once again I do appreciate your prayers and thoughtful words. I hope you saw my other post, I feel just awful that I got so behind on posts I almost missed sending you my thoughts and prayers before your surgery and that I missed your pre-op thread! I don't know how I missed them both??? I was out a bit both yesterday and today as you know, did nap both days and have been busy with visiting with my mom so I haven't had too much time on BS :sad: and have been scanning quickly and trying to keep up with a few ongoing recoveries/pre-ops I've been following. I'm going to check now and make sure I've "followed" you, maybe this is why I didn't get notifie? Take care!
 
@PegGene....Girl, you are doing the busy work of healing! That is far and away the most important thing. Don't stress it. :)
Naps and time spent with your mom is heavenly, I'm sure. Enjoy that to the fullest!
Never forget that you were the first person I turned to for advice when I got here. You were so kind to answer my goofy questions. I am very grateful for that. :)
 
hi @PegGene,
You are feeling better and getting out! Good news!
I think it's good that your mother came to visit. That has to be so enjoyable.
 
Hi All, I haven't posted an update in quite some time and I had my appointment today for review my x-rays so I thought I'd post. He said the x-rays look good. I'm at 4 weeks tomorrow and he said that I can go back to my warm pool arthritis exercise class now, ride the bike at the gym with no resistance and do gentle stretch/ROM exercises but no strengthening exercises until I reach 6 weeks.

The last few days I've had more pain than last week (week 3) but I think it's because I over-did it last weekend when I had company and also because some of the numbness in my outter thigh is starting to go away so that area is really tender and numb to the touch with a kind of burny pain, not sure if others have experienced this? Also, when walking I'm having some pain in the front/center hip area where the incicision is..feels like it may be the acetabulem area-when laying in bed on my back last night I as having shooting pains in this area so I'm trying to rest, ice and elevate as much as possible this week.

As far as my recovery goes I'm really making progress. It's amazing how smooth and easy the hip joint moves it's just awesome. I have not used the walker since mid-week the third week and I use the cane on and off in the house, sometimes not at all but I'm still limping a bit sometimes if I don't use it so I use it more often than not. Out of the house I always use the cane. I've been going up the stairs with my cane normally a few times a day which I think is helping with strengthening a bit, even though I am using the cane to assist the operated hip so my leg is not doing all of the lifting. Going down the stairs, I use the bad leg down method and go step by step mostly, but once in a while I go down normally with the cane assisting me, but not too often as it is still tight. My biggest problems right now are of course the energy drain; I went to the grocery store by myself two days ago (I started driving when I stopped taking the oxy during the day-I think it was about 1 week ago, at my 3 week mark). I only purchased about 8 bags, filled a small/mini shopping cart and by the time I got home I had to go straight to my recliner and have family get the bags out of the car and put them away. I'm also struggling with insomnia that just started; I didn't have a problem falling asleep at all the first 3 weeks, but the last 3 nights I've had so much trouble getting to sleep, legs feel restless very much like RLS. I stayed up until midnight last night and laid there till 2:00. I'malso starting to really worry (getting anxious) about having to go back to work in a few weeks; I'm supposed to start back part time at 6 weeks. I HOPE I feel better/stronger by then but right now I can't even imagine having to get up/out and work even part time.

If anyone has any suggestions about the insomnia/RLS or the very sensitive burny numb pain in the thigh I'd appreciate it....I've been icing the thigh which seems to help. When I first put the ice on, the weight of the icepack hurts and creates shooting pains in the area but then it feels better. I didn't have any bruising, very minimal swelling, but boy that thigh, if I just touch it eversolightly feels like a huge bruise. Has anyone had this?

The first few weeks so much happens, so many ups and downs, and then it really does slow down and I understand now about the advice to be patient and take it slow. You really do have to and it is very hard. I hope all my bonesmart friends recoveries are progressing along nicely and that this is helpful or informative to someone in some way. This guy reminds me of the journey...slow and steady... :climb:
 
If anyone has any suggestions about the insomnia/RLS or the very sensitive burny numb pain in the thigh I'd appreciate it....
This is a classic sign of being under medicated. At only 4 weeks out you may still need pain meds. Take your prescribed dose - especially at night.

You are at the stage I call the one month slump. Everything happens very quickly and then you feel like you are moving in slow motion. Quite the contrary - you are still very much in healing mode. The most important factor at this stage is don't push! You can't rush this recovery at all. Just let it happen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom