THR I'm on the other side and feeling really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PegGene eating an avocado every day(and drinking prune juice) really helped me. I found as long as I was on the pain meds, I had to keep up that routine. So, hopefully things will get moving soon but just know you might have to do something every day to keep things moving along. I know this is TMI but I remember that second evening when the action began, I felt like I was going into labor. Mercifully, it didn't last long. Good luck, I know my mom had problems with this and she said it was the worst part of the whole thing!
 
Magnesium citrate is what they use as part of the bowel prep before a colonoscopy so it should work! Fingers crossed for you! Glad your hip is coming along. That first shower is heavenly but be careful you don't start to feel faint.....that happened to me. I'm 2 weeks post op today!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi All. The magnesium citrate did result in a bit of "action" but not near enough for 5 days, it didn't clean me out like I expected. I called the hospital pharmacist again today and she said if I'm not uncomfortable or feeling bloated I'm probably fine since I have had a bit of relief. TMI but she said if it was there, it would've come...I really don't feel anything "there". IF I don't go by tomorrow he recommended another dose of magnesium citrate. Yuck. I have taken duclolax (sp?) and mirilax today and eaten my trusty prunes so I'm hoping they will help.

Hi @CricketHip My jaw/ear/tooth seems quite a bit better but I did have some pain yesterday or the day before. At this point it's manageable until I can get my mouth guard from my dentist that should be ready in a week or two. Thank you for asking.

@Baybee Thank you for that advice, I was very worried about feeling faint as that happened to me before. I didn't buy much for this surgery, but one thing I did buy was a shower bench to sit on. It went ok, but I was a little stressed because I was told that my incision has two layers of dissolvable stitches inside and the top is sealed with glue so I wouldn't need a waterproof bandage when I showered. I didn't shower until the 5th day even though he said I could shower sooner to ensure it was sealed. When we took the gauze off last night, it seemed like there was a bit of leakage through the glue....dried on the incision and a bit on the gauze. I was so afraid that it wasn't completely sealed but my husband assured me it was. I tried so hard not to get water on it but some did run down it....:sad:
 
@Gummy Bears @Baybee @LaylaHips @pamac Hi All, I have a question for you about pain during the early days. I'm doing fine managing the pain most of the time it's very low 1-2 or even 0. Walking pain is minimal and sitting/laying down it is minimal. However, when I need to get in or out of bed and I have to lift my leg it really hurts as I'm lifting it maybe to a 5 or so. It's cringeworthy. It hurts in the thigh area, underneath. If I try to do the knee presses it re-creates this pain but to a lesser degree, I don't do them due to my surgeon not prescribing PT, just walking, but also because it hurts. Did this happen to you and did it slowly get easier? I'm only on day 7. I'm trying to be patient, every day doesn't seem much different than the last day though. I've heard there is a turning point, maybe around the 3rd week? Thanks for your help
 
@PegGene Hi, I found the first week and a half uncomfortable but no major pains as you describe them, however, I was advised by a PT prior to my op to buy myself a leg lifter as it can often be painful for the first week or two doing the leg lifts in and out of bed. Sadly that's all I can suggest, but the good news is it all gets better, just in very small steps.

Good luck and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99 Thanks so much for the input Andy that makes me feel much better, and the suggestion. I've seen those leg lifters and did consider purchasing one but ended up not; although I have the best leg lifter and it didn't cost me a thing...my husband lol. :heehee: Before the surgery we discussed all of the gadgets that might be helpful post-op and he felt that I wouldn't need any of them except the shower stool. So far he's been there every time I've gotten in and out of bed or in and out of the car (lab appts.) and helps guide my leg in. The hospital did send me home with a set though that included the grabber, sock aide, dressing stick and bathing sponge on a long stick. I'm hoping by the time he goes back to work (day 17) it'll be easier lifting my leg, if not I may try my cane, I've seen it used in some you tube videos. I hope you're steadily improving and have a great day too!
 
@PegGene Never a problem. Whilst I think of it the things I've used most so far outside of the grabbers are my wedges, one for under my legs so I can do the elevation a bit easier and another for under my pillows in bed to make sleeping on my back simpler. Enjoy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PegGene Lifting my leg those early days freaked me out. I remember it was extremely weak and I just decided not to do it so I was very careful in and out of bed and basically lifted it myself. Within a few weeks I was able to do a leg lift sitting on the bed. Now (4 months post op) I can do it without even giving it a second thought. Give yourself some time, you are still very early on.
Btw, I remember a few week time period where I felt like things weren't progressing as fast as I'd like. But then sometime between week 3-5 things started improving quickly and one day I realized I could get through the day without even thinking about it!
 
@Gummy Bears I really needed to hear this, thank you so much :thankyou: I just saw this post, don't know how I missed it for 2 days, but I really needed it. It is EXACTLY how I feel about lifting the leg, and feeling like I'm not progressing and getting a bit scared at the level of pain I still have and how reliant I still am on the walker-I can't walk without using my arms quite a bit still and my arm is feeling a bit sore. Yesterday morning I woke up very early as usual, in my usual stiff, painful, morning pain all over from sleeping on my back, and the usual hip/thigh pain upon exit from the bed -even hurts when hubby lifts it, and painful first few steps to the bathroom, and just started crying in the bathroom! The pain seemed to be getting a bit worse and I just felt like every day was the same-no improvement, starting to get so tired of being uncomfortable all night, waking up with such aches and pains all over, and starting to get a bit scared something may be wrong and wham, emotionally it was strange how the boo hoos hit me so fast! I knew it happens for many, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't happen to me which is really dumb because I am a very sensitive person but I think because I'm an optimistic person I thought it wouldn't happen to me. I've been a bit emotionally "weak" since. but I've been holding it together. I don't think it has helped that my daughter was home the entire week from school last week with bronchitis, then my husband got it around Thurs. and Fri. so he was a bit distant and not as on top of my care like he was which is fine, I don't really need him to be, and I feel terrible he got sick, but emotionally I felt a bit neglected because he seemed to get a bit annoyed of having to take care of me for a short period of time even forgetting my ice pack, and meds a few times. I think after how he was so overly caring when he wasn't a few times cause he wasn't feeling well, it made me feel sorry for myself a bit. I'm trying to do as much as I can for myself and help him with whatever I can, but usually he doesn't let me. He was reassuring this morning telling me that I've been through major surgery and he thinks it's normal (the pain) because they reduced my oxycodone to 5mg when I left the hospital. Do you remember what you took first few weeks home? I thought they sent me home with celebrex too but we don't have it. Thanks for listening :sad:
 
@PegGene I am so sorry you have some post surgery blues! And folks being sick around you sure doesnt help! I think I got a little bit like that a few times. I feel like it's kind of like having a baby those early days (when everything is crazy and you are up constantly.). You know how you forget the craziness of having an infant, I feel like I'm not remembering the struggles of post op really well! But there were certainly struggles. When is your 2 week post op appt? As far as the pain meds, I actually have the log I kept on my phone still! Looks like I was taking 5 mg oxy and 2 Tyl every 4 hours and over time I began to take it further apart. Can you call Lisa tomorrow and ask her if you can increase the dosage it if you are uncomfortable? You might even be able to reach her today at the hospital.
 
Hi @PegGene, I just re-read your recovery thread and found your question about pain when getting in and out of bed, as Gummy Bears said, I still help with moving my leg, especially in and out of the car. At the hospital they taught me to slide my whole body onto the bed until my surgical leg was supported, and I continue to do this, so no pain. I noticed lately I am using more active muscle movement to get in and out of bed, so I think it progresses as we get better. My PT has me doing extended leg lifts from the knee down, (while sitting 90% on a chair) and I think this helps build up the quads.
Also, good luck with your bowel regime. I was prescribed with colace, and I have bio-available magnesium citrate supplements in my home. The first week I drank hot prune juice in the morning (per a nurse's suggestion), as well as hot lemon juice. Like you, I didn't want to go too many days without "action". These combos seem to work. I'm on a ton of iron because after the surgery I was anemic, and iron is constipating, too. A few days after surgery my system seemed to get back in order (with the combo of things I was doing). Hope those problems are now resolved for you!
 
Hi @LaylaHips Thank you so much I feel better knowing others still have to support their leg when getting in bed and in the car. I'm now able to bend over far enough and assist the leg from the back of the knee area without pain whereas before it hurt to do this, hubby had to lift from the ankle area. I will continue to help it along until I can do it without pain. I go for my 2 week appt. Thurs. and will ask about those leg lift exercises..he doesn't prescribe pt, but I'm hoping he'll approve some strenghtening at home as long as I don't have pain doing them. My mom also told me about the magnesium supplements and I'll pick some up when I get out. I am "loose" now but plan to continue with the prune juice and preventative measures. I can see how hot prune juice and hot lemon juice was beneficial, I remember when I was a little girl and having a bit of "trouble" leaning over to the sink and drinking hot water from the tap used to help (YUCK)! Take care and I hope you're recovery is going great.
 
Day 10 update: I've been having a really tough time the last few days....lots of tears, fears and frustration AND I've been breaking one of the most important rule of Bone Smart - not to compare my recovery to others. I'm confessing that I have been going through others recoveries to see where others were at at this point, because I'm still in quite a bit of pain and feel that I'm really not progressing. I don't want to scare others pre-op, it's bearable pain, I have no pain at rest and it's not worse than I had pre-op just different. Looking at other recovery threads, I've found that MANY have diminished pain by day 10, enough to reduce or eliminate narcotics and are progressing to cane or even no aide! Most are so positive and excited, getting out and going for walks. My my hubby thinks I'm doing fine and am right where I should be, "it's only one week" he says (actually, it's almost 2). I LOVE the forum, it's helped me tremendously and it's an awesome resource, but honestly, if it wasn't for it, I would be much happier with where I'm at and I wouldn't be scared that there's "something wrong". I DO KNOW it's not the forums fault, it's MY fault for breaking the rule because I know I shouldn't compare, but it's hard not to when it appears there is a pattern of many on the forum by week 2, many much older than I am, being pain free and walking without a cane, and here I am increasing my doses and there's no way I'll be off the walker by my 2 week appt. on Thurs--I can't even reduce pressure on my arms. This makes me feel like there's something wrong but I have no bruisng at all, no swelling at all, no temp or issues with incision. The pain I'm getting even when walking with the walker and take weight off my arms, or moving certain ways in bed or recliner, sometimes seems to be worse now than the first few days. I do notice that I can move the leg a bit more when I'm laying down in bed or in the recliner without the pain, but I have a LONG way to go to switch to OTC or be "pain free". I just thought at my age I'd be doing better than average recovery, not worse.
 
Sorry to butt in but, oh yes whoa there girl. You have had major surgery. Dislocated joints, stretched tendons and muscles let alone someone took a scalpel to you, and after 10 days this will all be well............
Very few have been much further ahead than you and many are left in your wake but the important one is you. Try to stop fretting and just do what you are capable of, in a matter of weeks this will all be a sheeeeeeeeesh memory.
Take care and you have some grand supporters here


Legin THR Sep 14
 
Chortle, aye lass but hey its fine to rant as many of these rants are founded in just plain old exasperation with pain and lack of mobility. It really isn't long tho a few months but how many months had you been in pain before and now there's light at the end of the tunnel. You will be boogieing before you know it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Tut never to late to boogie, I boogie cook, boogie iron and my best dance partner has to be the vacuum cleaner.... ..... Hmmmmm be mighty fine to have a Bonesmartie boogie flash dance

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom