Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm on the other side and feeling really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gummy Bears That's a great analogy about the THR recovery being much like having a baby and forgetting the painful birth and the long tough early days because you have a beautiful precious child when it's childbirth, and when it's a THR you have (hopefully) an awesome painfree functional hip!!! My discharge medication instructions for the oxy state "1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed" and I had only been taking 1 every 4 hours, so I decided to increase it and take another mid way before the 4 hours is up so it doesn't really wear off, and it seems to be helping. My follow up appointment is on Thurs. so I'll ask to tweak my meds then. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!
 
Hi PegGene
Well, I can't tell you about the post op blues and recovery but have read many posts and threads and I think you are doing super! And you have had the stress of sick family members in the house! :shocked:
I seem to recall several Bonesmarties saying that the progress came in intervals and how discouraging it could be. Hang in there! Do you have any good books to get immersed in?
 
@ PegGene I can totally relate to everything you are saying! It IS tough to not compare yourself and your recovery to other hippies here on BS. I literally find that I must remind myself of that every day. I have actually managed to somehow feel guilty about taking pain meds and I have to give myself a mental shake and say it's ok, you just had major surgery just a few weeks ago! Keep venting and posting here on BS. This forum has been invaluable to me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope things are a wee bit better today

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @PegGene

I'll echo previous comments about early days & the post op blues being normal, everything from "why did I do this" through to "it'll never be right, I'll never walk properly" all the way over to a pure "Gaarrrggghhh!" primal scream feeling. The first bit of good news is, it's normal, most of us hit it as some point and it will pass, albeit slowly.

The biggest challenge I found initially was spotting the small improvements as they appeared either daily or weekly, until I noted them all down on here and in my personal diary & spent a little time each week reviewing the differences. It's a journey of small steps, building up slowly till you are standing at the top of the pyramid ready to run down the other side.

Personally I'm sitting here today at 7 weeks post op, still on pain meds albeit at a lower level and only just starting to move around the house without a stick & after reading your post I remembered the first week post op when I could just about walk on crutches to my hospital room door.

My personal recommendation would be to keep that journal and note the positives and see the seed of change grow.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you all so much for your input, it's SO nice when you're feeling this way to hear from other members, it really picks you up :hugzz: After that post I was a bit embarrassed to be honest...it's amazing how this process brings out such openness, I'm afraid I may be being too open :tantrum: I am keeping a notebook, every day I write down when I take my meds, how much I take, how I'm feeling-i.e. what hurts and what activity I do (walks). I am trying to be aware of the little things like being able to lift my legs easier to get the support towel under my ankles. I've also slept a bit better the last two nights. I'm also giving myself permission (without guilt) to take the max allowable medication IF I need it and not feel guilty about it. The doctor prescribed it for a reason and when I don't, my husband teases me, makes me laugh, if I'm sitting here in pain but not taking it - makes it seem silly! A few days ago, I had it in my mind that I was going to be off the walker by my 2 week follow up. I tried crutches and the cane...the pain level I still have on weight bearing, it seems to have increased a bit for some reason, has made me realize I'm not ready so I'm just going to use the walker until I can use the other aides more comfortably. Andy you're an inspiration to others like myself and I think you're doing great. Have a great week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I soooo smiled reading your post. Tho please never be embarrassed ever as by feeling you can be open, let it all out is the best for you. If not all these naggs worries anger grief all spin round and round in your head. Nice one on the diary its a great tool, I keep a pain diary and its amazing the strides I have taken. Gold star too on the meds. So again well done.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi All, I am now on day 12 post op and my hip hurts when I'm sitting on our hard toilet seat-I thought I could manage without buying a special device because all of the toilets in my house are the newer taller height toilets with the elongated seats and since I had anterior I don't have precautions. I'm also able to place my walker through the toilet to use the handles as support when I sit or rise I didn't buy a raised toilet seat. I'm considering a vinyl padded seat topper like the one below but I noticed there are quite a few negative reviews. Was it helpful to you or what did you use?

[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side and feeling really good
 
I found my hip hurt sitting down anywhere for any extended period for quite a few weeks. I think it's the angle at which you are sitting that causes it more in the loo!
I looked into the padded seat but as you say the reviews were not good at all @PegGene. I solved my loo problem by hovering over the toilet rather than sitting. It sounds bad but it hurt less!!!
I found my hip hurt more for me when going out & sitting on low chairs so always took a cushion with me.
Hope it wears off soon and you have a great recovery! X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@PegGene

Hi sweetie! I just got caught up on your recovery (sometimes I don't get alerts for some odd reason) and I'm so sorry you're feeling a bit blue right now.

Although I haven't had surgery, I've read and read and researched, and researched some more. I've learned that ones pre-op condition (muscle strength and fitness level) can have quite an impact on recovery time. I'm not sure how active and physically fit you were pre-op (as for me, slug would be fitting) and since we really don't know how fit other members were prior to surgery, it seems to me that this is why we can't compare our recovery to others. However, with very few exceptions, everyone got to that same wonderful pain free place in time!

Another thing to keep in mind, some surgeons are very gentle by nature and others are more like football linebackers and I would imagine this can make a big difference in recovery muscle pain. I remember during one surgeon consultation I had, I made it a point to check out how big his hands were and visualized those hands digging inside my body (not sure if they do stick their hands inside or not) and I was overjoyed because he had very small hands! Crazy what goes through our minds at times!
 
@PegGene Hi Bilateral Jim here, My right hip was no issue but my left hip was grumpy so i put a folded a dishcloth on my left side for padding and it worked. i just put it down on the side and then sat down. Wallah!
 
@PegGene, I looked on Amazon and read the review. I got one for the downstairs bathroom which bolted on, I recommend this. I bought one for my bathroom that fit on somehow without attachment and I nearly fell off it the first week, it shifted to the side. I was terrified I had popped my hip out. Now that one is duct taped on to the toilet! Most of the reviews tell you not to use the ones that do not fasten in some way. Good Luck!
 
@Cynthia777 Thanks so much for that insight Cynthia, you're SO sweet :yes: I agree about the surgeons "nature" yet mine seems to have a very gentle nature, with a soothing, calm, gentle demeanor and he's on the smaller side....it's funny after you said that about linebackers what popped into my mind when thinking about him was a figure skater. I don't know how appreciative he'd be of that though :unsure: so I'll keep that to myself.

I appreciate your encouragement that whatever my physical condition/fitness level prior to surgery, it shouldn't affect my long term outcome which IS the most important thing and I think you're right, my condition at the time of surgery could be a factor in the difficult time I'm having with recovery. I have been struggling with a deterioriating hip for a LONG time and limping badly for the last two years although not to the extent of using a cane. Although I've never been involved in an active exercise program and I would have to say my weeks have been pretty sedentary at work, and activity consisted of taking care of children and household needs when home instead of making it a priority to exercise, I was by no means a coach potato. I was always doing something around the house, gardening, cleaning, decorating, organizing, I'm very hands on I do everything I can do myself (wallpaper, paint, yardwrk, things of that nature) and my yard is also pretty high maintenace. However my hip has prevented that for the last two years I could only do a few hours at a time. I think I thought that being so busy, having no other health issues, my age being lower than many, my weight being average, that it' be easier for me...it just goes to show you never can tell.

Tomorrow I go for my follow up...I'll feel better once I get assurance that all is on track and there are no problems. Knowing there are no bone or implant problems, and that the pain is just normal deep bone pain, muscle pain, incision pain, it'll make it easier to deal with. I'll keep you posted.

I hope you are still doing well with your PT. Take care.
 
Thank you @Michegon and @LaylaHips It's funny Michegon I did think of that but hadn't tried it-I'm going to try it tonight and do that in the meantime. That's so scary LaylaHips I glad your hip wasn't damaged by that! I had that fear that it wouldn't be stable and that I'd strain myself trying to be steady. My husband is going to get the regular padded toilet seat with lid that you can get from a department store or like Lowes/Home Depot. I think that's all I need since I don't need the height. Take care.
 
Hey, @PegGene, I'm lurking around the post op side gleaning info. :)
If it helps at all, I purchased the Carex Quick Lock raised toilet seat (at Walmart).
It is easy to attach to where the toilet seat attaches to the base.
The raised seat slides into a slot that is created and then you position no slip tabs so the raised part makes firm contact with the toilet rim.
I've been using it to get used to the feel and it is very secure, no shifting at all.
I highly recommend!
 
@PegGene
I agree with you about you feeling better once your surgeon reassures you that all is well...I would feel exactly the same way. I'll be waiting to hear that all is well and I just bet it's because of you living with all that pain and being somewhat less active then you were before. I'm sure there are so many factors that affect recovery that we don't even know about.

You tickled me with the figure skater description of your surgeon, because now that you mention it, it seems quite an appropriate description of the surgeon I mentioned! I would much rather a figure skater operate on me than some gorilla linebacker!!!! :heehee:

God bless and good luck tomorrow!
 
The padded seat looks really comfy. For the short time you will probably need it, I would just wrap it with duct tape to your regular seat, to make it good and secure and go with it...no pun intended...
 
Good luck with the follow up and I hope all turns out well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you sound a tad better, yup it does help to have that reassurance but don't forget this is a place where you can vent those wobbles, anger and frustrations here. We all know what you are going thru and most have had those self same feelings. You have a world of support here.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom