THR I'm on the other side and feeling really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone else who has followed my recovered and helped me through the last two weeks. You guys are all awesome :friends:I appreciate your well wishes and encouragement very much.

My appointment went well today. Everything appears to be fine and he wasn't concerned about what I can or can't do at this point (didn't even ask), when I told him I'm still on the walker and felt a bit behind (bad word I know), and that the pain is more than it should be, he said that's completely OK, everyone progresses differently, has different pain. He said I just need to do what I can do and continue to walk, no exercise-he prescribes walking only. He said I can go back to work, drive, and travel when I feel that I am able...no limitations other than what my hip dictates.

I was disappointed that he didn't do an x-ray but he said they only do them after the surgery at the hospital and then again at the 1 year follow up unless there is a problem. He quickly offered to have one done which I said yes to to ease my mind, but since I saw him at his satellite office and there's no x-ray machine there e gave me an order to have it done in town tomorrow and then bring a copy of it to him when I go back on 10/1. More waiting :sad: BUT, because of his assurance, I'm going forward the next two weeks with the attitude that all is good, I'm on track (MY track) and will continue to do what I can. Pain level is still steady, but I'm managing it on 5mg of oxy every 4 hours and now I am adding Tramadol as needed in between and I was able to get around the house a bit today with the cane :yay: with less pain in the leg/hip than last time I tried the cane.

Take care and I hope you are all doing great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's good news my dear! Once you have that X-Ray done and you're assured all is well, you'll feel like a new woman (emotionally at least)! :-)
 
@PegGene I like the sound of the person who you talked to, nice and flexible with a reasonable laid back approach for the early follow appointment, must be nice to not be stressed by them. It's sounding like you progress is nice and steady (best way) & I hope the X-ray goes ok, the last one I had I snarled at the technician as they tried to move my legs without talking to me first! Made them jump a bit

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow look at you, so many good points, believe me when you start to say goodbye to the walker and with it more mobility does come. You will be like the proverbial toddler just learned to walk and the parent almost rue it as all the antics they get up to. You really are on the right track now and managing meds to match pain is the way. Well impressed lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Gummy Bears Scott Hamilton :loll: Good one! I do trust him, and think he's amazing at what he does, but he's not much of a talker is he? I told my husband before the surgery when he spoke to us briefly before I went in , that I didn't mind that and that my husband is there to encourage and support me, and his job is to do a great job with the surgery. He DOES listen though, I was so impressed when he offered/suggested so willingly to just do the xray if it makes me feel better. Scored some points on that one.

@AndyH99 Yes, his nonchalance did really confirm what I've been told over and over here-that everyone is different in the recovery and you can't measure progress at this point.

@Legin Very funny, I like the comparison to the toddler as my husband is having a tougher time keeping track of me since I tend to be up and about more just to "wander". :kitty: I felt it a bit more today though as it does put more pressure on the leg but that's to be expected and I imagine it's part of progress.
 
Thanks for the advice about the x-ray @AndyH99 I was sure to speak up while there. She asked me if I'd prefer standing or laying down and I requested standing. Then she told me to stand with my op leg knee turned out as far as it would go, in other words to open my hip up and I said um, no I don't think I should be doing that and am very leary of that position so soon after surgery due to risk of dislocation. She was able to get the shot with it just minimally turned out, I just turned my whole boy sideways pretty much.

Had a tough day today, went for a short shopping trip to Walmart after having the x-ray and the hip/leg pain when walking after just 5 min. was causing me to limp seriously and the pain was skyrocketing with each step, I had to cut it short, go sit on a bench after maybe 10 or 15 min. and hubby had to drive the car to front to get me. Came home, put ice on it, took an oxy and slept for an hour--haven't been up since yet. Kinda discouraging of course, but I'm thinking maybe I did too much yesterday and was having a little too much fun/freedom with the cane around the house yesterday. I'll be slowing down with that now.
 
Good for you on taking control, it's often the safest and best way to ensure you're protected. We can't fault the medical teams as they don't always know our case details and are instructed on what's needed, so a helping bit of direction, self management and shared info usually goes down well.

As for your trip, that sounds oh so familiar to a couple of my early trips out when I was feeling good and pushed it a bit. I infer that nothing is damaged, so it's just a bit of experimentation and feeling out where your current limits are; in a week or so you'll look back at these posts and smile.

Have a great recovery day and enjoy the chill out time before the next adventure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PegGene
I've just had a chance to catch up with your recovery thread. I so remember those early days and trying to get my op leg on the bed without screaming. Then I figured out that if I scooted back far enough where both my legs were nearly completely on the bed, then all I had to do was slide my legs over. I also made a lasso with my bathrobe belt and put it around my op foot to help slide it over. But within a couple of weeks it started getting better and better and easier. You will too, my dear. It really does get easier. I am happy to hear your DR appt went well and he reassured you that everything is going fine AND to bump up your pain meds. With every new adventure or activity, you may or may not suffer from it. Relish the ones that don't cause you discomfort, but don't fret over the ones that do. It is perfectly normal and all part of the recovery process...taking the good with the bad. Just be sure to have plenty of ice packs on hand and elevate, whenever possible. I still do it, just because it feels sooooo good. I hope you have a restful night and sleep well.
 
That reminds me of an old saying "Don't sweat the petty thing and don't pet the sweaty things", sort of went along nicely with "Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get dirty but the pig will like it", but that's a bit off topic. I blame the meds, honest.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @Nana757 I am working hard at heeding all of the wonderful advice I'm receiving on this forum and I appreciate everyone's guidance and suggestions! It means so much.

I slept just ok again last night, I wake up every night between 1 and 3 with a low backache -it's sooo tight/stiff! I read your suggestion about how to sleep on your back with all of the pillows around and I do a slightly modified version of it, I haven't found anything else that works. I have 3 folded towels under my op leg (left), folded in such a way that the highest is under the knee, shortest under the ankle so that the leg is just slightly bent and the heel is just off the bed-for some reason this is the position my leg feels best in. Then I have a soft fluffy pillow under my right leg that alleviates the arch in my back and I have a pillow under my head with another one stuffed under the left end to prop it up just a bit so I can kind of lean the left side of my head/cheek against it when I sleep. It's quite the process to get everything "just so".

I take an oxy before I go to sleep (bad days I take 2) and sleep pretty well until between 1-3. Then I wake up with a screaming lower back, take another pill and scootch up to an almost sitting position to alleviate the back pain, I put another pillow behind my back and one under my head and sleep pretty much upright until 6 or 7. The last two nights, and once about a week ago, I tried putting a pillow between my legs, rolling over onto my non-op side (I'm a side sleeper and this is my "sleeping side"). This feels just ok, it seems all of my mucles in my entire torso/pelvic area are tight and pull a bit in this position so although it feels heavenly to my back it doesn't work for more than 5 to 10 minutes.

I'm accepting this will be the case for a few more weeks and making the best of it, accepting it for what it is for now but dreaming of the day when I can sleep comfortably again! :sleep:Thank you for asking.

Oh, I also have been using the robe lasso idea, I think I saw you suggest that in a previous post somewhere as well! Thank you again! I noticed I was able to lift my leg eversoslightly without pain over to the edge of the bed this morning to get out of bed and that was encourging...I used to bend my knee enough to put my foot flat on the bed and then kind of "walk" my foot /leg over to the edge - heel/toe, heel/toe.....:blush:
 
@PegGene

You poor dear! Not sleeping well is bad enough, but the added back pain really makes it easy tough...I'm so sorry and I pray every day sees you feeling better and stronger!

As far as getting out of bed...I did read a couple of posts where the members found sliding down to the end of the bed and then getting off from there was much easier for them. It might be worth a try.

Now here's the good news...every day that passes, although painful, is one day closer to enjoying a pain free and "normal" life again (easy for me to say since I haven't walked in your shoes, right?)...but, it's true!

Sending you smiles, BIG hugs and even BIGGER prayers! This too shall pass my friend! :-)
 
@PegGene, I've merged your threads. Please keep to one recovery thread. If you want to know the reasons why, read this One thread for your recovery please?

I'm considering a vinyl padded seat topper
I seriously wouldn't recommend it. You'd find it very unstable when you sit on it and risking causing additional aches and pains. Besides which, your problem will soon be gone anyway so don't waste your money.
 
I remember getting so sick of sleeping on my back. So uncomfortable! And in those early days going to the store took it right out of me! Just know that brighter days are ahead!
 
Thanks @Cynthia777 for the reminder ... @PegGene, I had completely forgotten that I used to scoot down to the foot of the bed to get up. It is soooo much easier that way in the very beginning. And once your leg starts getting stronger and you feel more confident, then you can go back to getting in and out of bed from the side. I also bought a wedge from BB&B and placed it under my favorite head pillows. This helped to keep me at an angle that didn't put so much pressure on my back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom