Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Made It!

KneedKnees......I had the same issues sleeping. I needed my leg slightly bent to sleep and I wasn't particularly comfortable on my back (I was a stomach sleeper).

I found comfort doing the following. I would put a pillow under my head and one down along my back in the middle of the bed. When I got into bed, I would lie on my side and then lean into that back pillow slightly so that I was not completely sleeping on my back. That would put my legs lying on the bed sideways slightly. I put another pillow between my legs and had them both slightly bent but not one on top of the other on the pillow. Then I would put two gel ice packs around my knee (wrapped in dish towels) and leave them there for about 2-3 hours while I slept.

This seems like quite an ordeal to get comfortable, but it did work for me. I was able to sleep this way very easily. The side/back position and pillows allowed me to change position slightly during the night to stay comfortable but still keep the ice and pillows in place.

It's not easy sometimes.....you have to experiment to find out what works. I liked Jo's suggestion also of putting the "lift" under your mattress. That might work too!
 
Re: I Made It!

Hi balane, and welcome to BoneSmart!

Normally, there is a pressure bandage of wool and crepe on the knee from about mid calf to mid thigh. That normally stays on for about 48 hours. But in my experience (personal and well and professional) when they get you out of bed the next day, it can often end up like errant socks and start slipping down the leg! It's not a sterile dressing, just some slight pressure to discourage bleeding.

As for a splint, it's not really applicable for 'normal' knee replacements as the focus is on activity rather than immobilising.

Why don't you start a thread and tell us a bit more about yourself, ask some questions too if you want. We are here to help!
 
Re: I Made It!

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! Jo, I love the idea of putting the towel under the mattress - I may be able to do that in the LR on the couch. It would provide a little firmer, smoother surface. And Jamie, I might just give that "side-sleeping" a try - sounds like it might be close enough to the way I "want" to sleep, but would accomodate the discomfort I'm feeling now. :thumb:

I'm still "working" at resting. I've always been one to pick myself up - either from an illness or surgery (C-sections, nephrectomy, incisional hernia repair) and get back on the horse and get riding. Slowing down and allowing myself time to recover just isn't in my nature! This is hard work! :skeptical:

Today, my son (leaving for college on Friday) told me, "Mom, I'm not trying to scold you or anything, but you need to 'chill'. I don't want to have to worry about you while I'm away. When they say rest, you're supposed to rest. When they say use your walker, you're supposed to use your walker. I don't want you to have to overdo and take steps backwards. I don't want you to have to have corrective surgery. Just do what you're supposed to." 'Nough said! :hissyfit:

balane - welcome to our humble little chats. I can answer a couple questions slightly differently than they've been answered before. First, I don't know whether you were referring to me or to grabbit97 when you talked about surgery on Aug. 4, because mine was Aug. 5th, but I am doing well! So well, that I forget it's been less than 3 weeks, and as you can see from above, I tend to overdo things!

First - as far as my bandages, I just had gauze pads with tape around them for the first several days. Obviously, they changed them numerous times, but there was nothing big and bulky. I was able to get out of bed by the second day. My surgery was on Friday, and I was up on Saturday afternoon. Friday is still kind of a blur - but I remember people being there, and some pain...and at 4:00 AM on Saturday morning they came and put one leg in the CPM - that was uncomfortable the first time. Then, they switched it to the other leg at 6:00 AM. Way to wake me up and keep me awake!!! :what:

I had no braces or things with dials. Just the gauze pads and tape, oh yes, and the lovely white "teds" stockings. However, they're worth it if they keep you from developing a blood clot!

By Saturday evening, I had gotten up once, then walked to the chair and sat up for awhile. Sunday, I walked in the hall. I also had the catheter removed on Sunday. I went home then on Monday afternoon.

I will say that the first two weeks were a blur of nausea (from medications), tiredness, pain and depression (just from the immensity of the whole situation). Once that two week time period was over, I felt loads better (and continue to feel better). I'm sure there will be many more ups and downs, but with this forum, I'm also sure there will be people to help. :friends:

Good luck balane - you can do it! :thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

I feel as if I'm on a roller coaster - of emotion!

Some days I am feeling very positive - about my progress, how I feel physically, life in general.

Other days (like today) I am very "blue" and feeling very sad - not necessarily about my progress or how I feel physically.

I'm sure this is normal, but I never like roller coasters! And I'm really not enjoying this ride.

I know part of what is causing me to be depressed. I'm a high school teacher, and school started today. I'm missing being there with the students and other teachers, and feeling sorry for myself! Wouldn't you think, that given an opportunity to NOT WORK, to stay home and rest, to relax and read and sleep, I would be happy? But, instead, I'm missing being at work - enjoying time with my students - sad...

OK, I'll try to just enjoy my time home and relax and "don't worry - be happy"....:cry:
 
Re: I Made It!

So here I am again...after a somewhat rough night...with some questions for the experts.

1. If I'm okay sleeping through the night without taking pain medication, should I? Or, should I be taking a pill when I wake up to go to the bathroom around 4:00 AM, so that when I get up around 6:00 AM I am not so stiff and ornery?

2. I've read in numerous other posts that stiffness needs to be medicated. Is that just for the purpose of being able to work on flexion, etc., or is it because the med. (Celebrex) brings the swelling down and helps with the "pain" of stiffness? The other med. I'm currently taking is Hydrocodone.

3. Will the nausea and feeling of not wanting to eat ever go away? I love that I've lost weight :biggrin:, but I have absolutely no desire to eat anything. I force myself to eat because I know I have to, but could just as easily go without anything, and would probably feel better if I didn't have to force myself to eat, because then my stomach gets upset.

4. Will the emotional roller coaster continue until I am off the medications I'm currently taking, and just taking my usual meds.? Or, is that just part and parcel of the whole BTKR "experience"?

5. If anyone has any suggestions on how to dig oneself out of a "blue" mood - please share!

Just a few days ago, I felt great and was giving encouraging comments to others in their posts. Now, I just feel like I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Darn it...how did this happen? :cry4:
 
Re: I Made It!

So here I am again...after a somewhat rough night...with some questions for the experts.

1. If I'm okay sleeping through the night without taking pain medication, should I? Or, should I be taking a pill when I wake up to go to the bathroom around 4:00 AM, so that when I get up around 6:00 AM I am not so stiff and ornery?
I'd try the pill at 4 am and see how you feel at 6.

3. Will the nausea and feeling of not wanting to eat ever go away? I love that I've lost weight :biggrin:, but I have absolutely no desire to eat anything. I force myself to eat because I know I have to, but could just as easily go without anything, and would probably feel better if I didn't have to force myself to eat, because then my stomach gets upset.

I think it was the pain meds that took away my appetite. (unfortunately I didn't lose much weight :th_heehee: ) But it did get better. I just tried to eat a little bit at a time. Can the doc give you something for the nausea? I had something in the hospital but didn't need it at home.

I think the roller coaster is pretty normal...we're here for you at the top & bottom. :console:
 
Re: I Made It!

1. If I'm okay sleeping through the night without taking pain medication, should I? Or, should I be taking a pill when I wake up to go to the bathroom around 4:00 AM, so that when I get up around 6:00 AM I am not so stiff and ornery?


I agree you should go for the pill when you get up to use the bathroom. That gives you a good start on a pain free day.

2. I've read in numerous other posts that stiffness needs to be medicated. Is that just for the purpose of being able to work on flexion, etc., or is it because the med. (Celebrex) brings the swelling down and helps with the "pain" of stiffness? The other med. I'm currently taking is Hydrocodone.

"Stiffness" is a form of pain and you'll be better off if you medicate to keep it at a minimum. What you use to do that medication will dictate the result you get. The drugs you are taking help with both the pain itself and with swelling....an excellent approach. With less pain and swelling you will be MUCH more comfortable doing your gentle exercises.

3. Will the nausea and feeling of not wanting to eat ever go away? I love that I've lost weight :biggrin:, but I have absolutely no desire to eat anything. I force myself to eat because I know I have to, but could just as easily go without anything, and would probably feel better if I didn't have to force myself to eat, because then my stomach gets upset.

Eventually your appetite will return. During this time it is important for you to get good nutrition. It's the fuel that will help your body heal. So less food is fine, but don't go without something.

4. Will the emotional roller coaster continue until I am off the medications I'm currently taking, and just taking my usual meds.? Or, is that just part and parcel of the whole BTKR "experience"?

The emotions are a result of both the meds and the whole surgical experience. It's a huge assault on your body and everything is thrown for a loop. But....it does get better with some time. And getting off the prescription pain meds can help too.

5. If anyone has any suggestions on how to dig oneself out of a "blue" mood - please share!

The best way to help your mood is to be sure you are eating proper food and getting plenty of rest (sleep at night plus naps!). Also, try doing some things you enjoy.....funny movies, hobbies, reading, lunch with friends (they can even bring it over to your house!)....whatever lifts your spirits. And, of course, you can always come chat with us here!!!

Just a few days ago, I felt great and was giving encouraging comments to others in their posts. Now, I just feel like I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Darn it...how did this happen? :cry4:

This happens to all of us at some point. There are ups and downs in recovery. But it all will keep improving if you just give yourself a little time. Please know that your BoneSmart family will always understand what you're feeling.
 
Re: I Made It!

Once again, my Bonesmart friends to the rescue! Thank you Kneeper, Jamie and Jo!

First, I'm going to try the pain pill when I get up in the night to use the restroom. I think I'll feel better then when I get up in the morning.

Second, apparently my stiffness and swelling aren't hindering my progress; at PT today my left knee was at 108, and my right at 98, without help, so I'm definitely improving. I also started a new set of exercises to strengthen my quads (up and down a step), and one to work on getting up from sitting without using my hands (I'm starting to get a "buzzing" sensation when I lean on my right hand - it goes down my fingers and up into my arm - maybe a nerve being hit too hard and too often?

Third, as I thought about the nausea and upset stomach, I realized that it's neither of those! It's more just not having any desire to eat - or nothing sounding good at all. I AM eating, and attempting to eat healthy foods, but just have no real hunger at all.

Fourth, the emotions are still all over the board. Jo, thanks for the link. I could add a few things to that list, but in general they're all about just the huge changes that have and are taking place. I'm on anti-depressant and anxiety medications (have been for years) and just haven't felt so many ups and downs for a long while. I'm working on getting out a little bit, catching up with friends, doing some school work in preparation for returning in a couple of weeks, reading, and RESTING! I even sat outside in the sun for 15 minutes today - it felt so good!

Once again, thank you friends! :friends:
 
Re: I Made It!

:thumb:
 
Re: I Made It!

You know I am one day ahead of you, just got my staples out yesterday, and boy what a difference it makes. Another milestone was when he said I could take the TED hose off at night if I am active during the day....yeah, hate those things!!! Got rid of the coumadin yesterday too...see what little milestones make us so happy?? Keep. On moving ahead...life grows better each day on this journey.
 
Re: I Made It!

I agree about the TEDS - horrible!

I'll be on Coumadin for awhile - as I've had a blood clot in the past - but I don't know how long. I would rather take it to be on the safe side. The only down side is the need to continue going in for INRs, and that I can't go for my therapeutic massage until I'm off it. :cry4: That makes me very sad!

Took the pain pill during the night and woke up feeling better than the past few days, so I'll continue doing that.

It's hard to believe it's only been 3 weeks! And yet, it's hard to believe it's already been 3 weeks! So much emotion either way I look at it. As you said grabbit97 - keep on moving ahead...on the journey!
 
Re: I Made It!

Hi. Don't worry - you'll get there! I will be 6 weeks on Monday and like you can't believe the time has gone so quickly. Then again am so glad its not 7 weeks ago!!:th_heehee: Things have definitely improved in the last week and can finally seen light at the end of the tunnel. Still taking the pain meds but not getting anything like the pain I did in the beginning, sleep a lot better and walking in the house without a crutch. Not driving yet but hopefully soon. Husband and kids have been great - especially when I've been going thru' a depressed and tearful stage! Take care! xx
 
Re: I Made It!

Second, apparently my stiffness and swelling aren't hindering my progress; at PT today my left knee was at 108, and my right at 98, without help, so I'm definitely improving.

Way to go!


Third, as I thought about the nausea and upset stomach, I realized that it's neither of those! It's more just not having any desire to eat - or nothing sounding good at all. I AM eating, and attempting to eat healthy foods, but just have no real hunger at all.
Yeah, that was me too. And that *never* happens to me. It was weird. But like you said, trying to eat healthy foods is good. My family was good about making sure I had anything that remotely appealed to me on hand--since they were doing my shopping.


 
Re: I Made It!

Thanks, Kneeper! I too, *never* have a problem eating! So, I'm kind of enjoying this - losing some weight - which I hope to keep off! However, it's sometimes hard to find healthy foods that I can actually eat without getting sick. Ice cream seems to be a favorite - and I'm still losing weight!

Jeannette - my family has also been great at helping, but I'm really ready to do some things on my own. I've said this before, but it's worth repeating; If someone told me I had the chance to sit all day, be waited upon, be served, relax all I wanted, and sleep anytime, I would jump at the chance. Being given those instructions is different, and it's hard to let other people do things for you that you should be perfectly capable of doing! I'm still really having to "work at" letting people help me!

Off to bed - very tired after an afternoon watching my daughter play Varsity Volleyball. :sleep:
 
Re: I Made It!

:cry:What a difference a day makes....

Yesterday, I went to my daughter's high school to watch her play volleyball. I sat in the bleachers, on a chair with a back, and watched 5 matches (it was probably about 5 hours total). I walked to and from the restroom twice, went to get something to eat at the concession stand, and walked around the field house a couple of times. I felt great! I got a chance to talk to people, feed a friend's baby, and just enjoy being with people. I was listening to my body, and it was telling me it was fine.

I got home and was tired, and went right to bed. This morning, I woke up and realized that there was no way I could go to her matches today. I am exhausted - both physically and mentally - and am on the verge of tears (some of which have already been shed).

I know, you're thinking, "of course you're exhausted - you shouldn't have gone - you should be resting. Take it easy, don't push yourself. Listen to your body - it's telling you not to do so much."

I really thought I was listening. I'd been making steady progress, even having been "out" a few times - lunch with my daughter, the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions - the clinic for INRs and PT - the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk. And while I was at the volleyball tournament I felt great! I thought I was ready...

Not only am I exhausted, but I'm also angry at myself for misreading the signals. I worried that I've set my progress back, and I'm depressed that I was foolish to attempt to be out that long.

Bah....:cry4:
 
Re: I Made It!

Honey, that's okay. You had a good day and enjoyed yourself. Great! But it doesn't mean you've taken a step backwards. You have to know there's always a pay-off for these things and your pay-off on this occasion after such a lovely day was to have planned for being washed-out the next day.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what's happened. Stamina is the last thing to get back to normal. This has just taught you to plan at least one day off after every day out. You can spend it remembering what a fab day you had!
 
Re: I Made It!

Thanks, Jo!

The tears are flowing as I read your reply. Thank you for lifting me up again.

I thought that I had built up the stamina for the day - especially since I felt good the entire time I was there - (usually I would begin to get tired as the time progressed, so I thought I was doing great since I felt so good). The good thing is - now I know! I'll plan a little better next time, and won't try to do quite so much.

I'm resting, elevating, icing and sleeping off and on, in an effort to get back a little of what I used up yesterday! And the volleyball tournament is managing to go on without me there - :wink1:

Thanks for being so gentle and kind. I was waiting to be reprimanded for doing too much - or maybe it's expecting too much of myself - when it's only been 3 weeks. Gosh, that's hard to remember!!!

I'm resting all day and then going to church tonight to play organ for the first time since the surgery! I practiced for an hour on Thursday, and feel confident that I can play the hymns and prelude and postlude. So back to resting now....so I can "play" later....
 
Re: I Made It!

Indeed you can. And I only reprimand on certain occasions - this wasn't one of them! :snork:

 
Re: I Made It!

KneedKnees,

This must be the weekend for the fledging TKr's to fly the coop. I to am having a busy weekend. Thrusday was my 33rd wedding anniversay and went out to dinner. Yesterday was the first time I attempted to go to a dog show (not showing myself), just to watch and spent the whole day there.
Tonight we are doing dinner again with friends whose anniversary is the day before ours. I am a bit tired & a little sore, but it has felt so great just to be able to get out and enjoy life. A year ago the pain was soooo bad I did even want to go anywhere, so this is a BIG deal to me. (all this with no help from any walking aids and only tylenol). Only thing I am not doing is driving yet, but hope to try that this week.

I am sure tomorrow will be spent on the sofa just resting. I am almost 12 weeks out and loving it .

Keep your chin up and keep looking for the light it is there, I'm sure you'll see it soon. A few weeks back I felt the same way you did, but things have been changing (for the good) so fast now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom