Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of my excitement about doing so well in Chicago, I'm paying for it now! Such pain in my left knee, as well as my right hip (gluteal area!). I'm sure it's in some way related to all of the walking, but it sure felt good while it lasted! I remember limping around last year, and this was much more enjoyable.

I'm still running errands for Mom and sister. Yesterday grocery shopping for both, dropping the groceries off and putting them away for them. Today going to the bank, stopping at Mom & Dad's to grab the mail and turn on lights. We've grown accustomed to the way things are right now, but I'd sure like to see Dad come home, as I see how difficult this is on my Mom. She is so tired, and worries a lot. The PT came in yesterday and mentioned that they may be seeing some signs of Parkinson's in my Dad. So she stayed up all night worrying about that! I told her that even if it is, he's not exhibiting the signs in a way that suggests he's suffering, and he is still making progress there (he's gained back about 7 lbs.). It would just be beneficial for all if he could be at home (with lots of help!). Everyone could relax a little bit, and get some much-needed rest.

I'm getting so busy at school with Christmas performances, and getting going on final projects for my semester art classes. It's getting more overwhelming there, in addition to the family matters.

Our theology teacher talked today, about how you hear people ask "why do bad things happen to good people?" He talked about how none of us are really deserving of the good things that happen to us, since we are a sinful people. Instead of asking why bad things happen to us, we should be thankful for all of the "good things that happen to us bad people!" It was a different way of looking at things - kind of an eye opener! I thought it might be helpful for some of us who spend a lot of time complaining about the bad stuff going on in our lives. I know it really helped reframe my thoughts!

 
You certainly have our hands full with your recovery and with family issues. Be sure to get some "me" time in there to take care of your physical and emotional health, it is much harder to care for others if you are not taking care of yourself! Also, given how selfless you seem to be, I wouldn't spend a moment worrying about being a "bad person". Have a blessed day
 
I'm completing day 10 of a RTKR and found that even using the walker more than I should be tires me out. Thanks to the folks in this forum, I'm paying very close attention to what the boss (knee) is telling me. Yes, it's a marathon with 1 step forward, 2 steps back, then 3 steps forward, 1 step back, etc.
 
Ripken ~

You definitely learn to "listen" to your knees! It's easy, though, to get to a point where you think you're doing better, and so you do a little more, and find out just who is the boss! But...that's the way we find out what our limits are. And, we learn to trust our knees to let us know if we're doing too much.


As I said, when I compare how I walked in Chicago this year with our trip there last year, the difference was like night and day! I continue to be amazed at how good my knees feel - most of the time!

Good luck with your recovery! You'll do great if continue listening to your knee!
 
I'm completing day 10 of a RTKR and found that even using the walker more than I should be tires me out. Thanks to the folks in this forum, I'm paying very close attention to what the boss (knee) is telling me. Yes, it's a marathon with 1 step forward, 2 steps back, then 3 steps forward, 1 step back, etc.
Yes, it's definitely a learning process. Even when they tell you that you'll be tired, you don't really understand 'til you're experiencing it, do you? :DOH:
Yep, listen to the boss. :biggrin:
 
We had a conference with the discharge nurse at the rehab facility on Friday. My Dad will be released from PT on Tuesday - they say he has gotten quite a bit stronger, but will only probably ever be able to walk across a room, no farther. It's pretty sad, but better than the alternative! He'll still be on Medicare since he will continue to have a feeding tube, but he is eating much better and has gained about 8 pounds since he went to the facility 2 weeks ago. We're still planning on bringing him home, and would like to get him home before Christmas. He really wants to be at home.

Now, it's a matter of the company that we're working with finding caregivers to help my parents. The discharge nurse is recommending that my Dad have care 24/7, which will be very costly. We don't think he'll need care that much, but we'll start out with that initially, and cut back when we determine when he really needs someone there. He'll continue to have tube feedings when he gets home, so the caregivers have to learn how to do that (me too - just in case!). I'm talking to the woman that is working for us to arrange all of this tomorrow. Hopefully we can put together a timeline for getting him home in the next couple of weeks.

My knees continue to be stiff - probably because I still don't exercise! The stationary bike is very stationary!!! I am either busy or just too tired to either ride it or do exercises. I really must find time to begin because I think my knees would feel better if I got moving!

Another weekend almost gone, and another busy work week beginning! I have two performances during the week, one on Tuesday evening, the other during the day on Friday. That, in addition to my usual activities - grocery shopping for 3 families, playing the organ for church, choir rehearsals and teaching - will keep me busier than necessary this week. And I need to fit working on my Christmas cards, baking cookies and cleaning up the house in there somewhere!

I hope everyone has a good week!
 
So glad to hear that your Dad is going to get to come home--and in time for Christmas too! What a blessing.

The rest of your post made me tired just reading it!! :th_heehee: I went to the grocery store for the first time since my surgery today--and I am wiped out! My husband pushed me in the kiddie cart so I wasn't even walking! You have a lot on your plate. I hope you can find some time to relax and recharge.
Niki
 
KK, you sure have a lot of "to-do's" on your to-do list! :rolleyespink:

A couple of years ago, when my father was ill, I put a lot of pressure on myself to do things around the holidays like I always did. And I wasn't happy. Once I realized that some things were just too much for me to do, and I took that pressure off myself, I was able to relax and enjoy what was done! It made for a much happier me during the holidays - and that meant a much happier family! Just something to think about.... :friends:

(And honestly, no one noticed that the cards didn't get sent that year! Only one of the things I dropped. :secretaea: )
 
My dad passed away at Easter one year and I didn't do very much at all for Easter that year. I know this was a bit more drastic of a situation but think of yourself and buy some cookies and few more Christmas bags so you don't have to wrap so much and send cards to people you don't keep up with and do some exercises instead. It is really worth it and you will feel better in the long run.
 
Well...it's been awhile, and the news is that we're going to attempt to bring my father home on Dec. 22nd. We're praying that it will work out, and that he will be able to stay home and be happy and comfortable. He is eating quite well, but will still be on the feeding tube while at home, at least for the time being. He's getting less than 50% of his nutrition by mouth, so it's still important.

The nursing home he is currently at is recommending he come home with 24/7 care - which can get VERY expensive. We're going to go with their recommendation for the time being, and see if there's a possibility that we can cut the care time down, based on his needs in the first few days.


This is causing lots of stress! There's so much to be done, the least of which is trying to keep up with my job. We have performances for the next two weeks, and a big competition coming up in February to prepare for. I'm feeling as if I'm letting down my students by not devoting enough time to them right now, but my main focus in on family - at least for the next few weeks.

Christmas is going to be different. I haven't done any baking, and probably won't get any done (mountainkat and daisycats :wink1: ), but will purchase cookies at our church bake sale on Sunday. I still have some gifts to buy, but that just doesn't seem quite as important.

We also have to do some work at my parents' house to get things ready for him to come home. Some modifications have to take place so it's easy for him to get around (he probably will only be able to walk the equivilent of across the room) and there are places for activity around him. It's just going to be a whole different life!

Mom is apprehensive because she still thinks she's going to have to cook and take care of Dad. I keep telling her that the caregivers will take care of those things! I really think she's just nervous because it is going to be a huge change - and the reality is - we don't know if it will work out for the long haul! I feel so bad for her having to deal with this, and wonder how she'll hold up.

Well...enough rambling! On to making phone calls to line up interviews for caregivers - to visiting Dad and Mom - to stopping at the store for a few Christmas gifts - and then home to pop the potatoes in the oven for "stuffed baked potatoes" for supper, and then a bit of relaxing before bedtime! Ahhhh.....

PS - Oh yeah, this is the knee forum! They are hurting - don't know if it's the cold weather, how tired I am, or over/underuse. Lots of choices, but I don't know which it is. Lots of stiffness, especially going up and down the stairs.
 
I hope all goes well, and you and your family have a memorable Christmas.
Take good care of yourselves, so you can take good care of your Dad. Weather and knees often mean ouch.
 
Gosh KK you have such a busy life! That is good news that your Dad will be home for Christmas; I hope your Mum will manage ok :scratch:. Life is so challenging at times and I wonder where we get our strength from but we do (thankfully). Take care and have a good weekend.
ps buying the cookies and cakes - good idea :thumb:
 
KK, glad to hear that Dad is coming home for the holidays, and hope it works out for all concerned.
Our TKR dates are 1 day apart, and I too am still experiencing pain, esp. with the cold weather, at 7:30 position on my knee and numbness down the side of the leg. It's getting better, I am sleeping well, hope you are too.
You are doing fabulous, considering what you are going through, keep up the good work, and have a great weekend.
 
KK,
I am so glad that your dad is coming home for Christmas. I know it will be an adjustment but at least everyone will be together. I don't know how you do it all...I hope you get time to relax and enjoy the holidays.
Greda
 
Take care KK, glad for you your dad will be there for Christmas, hope all goes well. Grabbit I wonder about cold weather and the knees. I was outside tonight for a short while and thought our mild coldness was making the right knee stiff. The left has never been bothered by the weather. I wonder what makes this happen?
 
Kneed......just a suggestion for you since you will have a full-time caregiver at your parents' house. Go through the home and pack up everything that is valuable and take it somewhere off site. I know this sounds harsh, but you really cannot completely trust anyone that comes in and will be there unsupervised while your mom and dad are resting.

I had to do this for my mother when we were considering full time care for her. In fact, I even hired a private investigator to do a background check on the people I was interviewing. If you are going through a bonded agency, you shouldn't need to do that. But you do want to remove any temptation. You will also want to watch money and medications that are in the house.

I'm sad to be so cynical, but it's the way of the world these days.
 
KK,

I agree with Jamie, you just never know in this day and age, and it's better to safe than sorry.

When I had housekeepers for awhile at my house I would always to be sure no temptation was available and that I always was at home when they came, besides they didn't want to be alone with the Great Dane in the house.
 
Jamie is too right. Only last month a friend of mine (in the US) had her entire, newly delivered prescription of pain meds stolen by her daily help who had actually been with her some months and seemed sound.
 
So sad that this is the reality today, but that is very good advice! Hopefully it won't be necessary, but better safe than sorry. I hope the transition goes well for everyone involved. Please take it easy and enjoy your holidays! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom