Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow KK - keeping up with your husband, 5 hours house cleaning and your knees didn't give you any trouble - way to go :yahoo:

I know how you feel with being on the other side with the parent/child relationship it is so tough and something that I am never comfortable with but it's necessary. You sound like you are doing everything in your power to make life comfortable for your Mum and Dad, they have a good daughter xxx

Enjoy the rest of this weekend and I'm thinking of you :friends:
 
Wow KK - keeping up with your husband, 5 hours house cleaning and your knees didn't give you any trouble - way to go :yahoo:

I know how you feel with being on the other side with the parent/child relationship it is so tough and something that I am never comfortable with but it's necessary. You sound like you are doing everything in your power to make life comfortable for your Mum and Dad, they have a good daughter xxx

Enjoy the rest of this weekend and I'm thinking of you :friends:

:I-Agree:

I agree with everything Jo said! I couldn't have said it better, especially not on painkillers! Which is why I just copied it! :th_heehee:
 
KK,
I got back from SD yesterday and am getting caught up on things. I know it is hard to see those changes in your dad. My fil has deteriorated so much in the last 2 years. My mil doesn't understand that his health is not going to get much better. She is used to leaning on him and now keeps complaining that he is lazy -- we have tried to explain to her that he truly cannot do the things she wants him to do. In reality, she shouldn't be doing everything that she tries to do.
From our situation I have really seen God at work. I have been so worried about the move to KS to SD and am shocked at how things have come together. We were told that his work will hire movers to pack us and move our stuff there as well as store it if we need temp. storage. There is a hot job market there and rentals are almost non-existent...however an apartment will be coming available Dec 1st (my hubby's 1st day is 12/5). I was concerned about the snow and this complex has an underground parking garage as well as a heated driveway. The apartment is bigger than our current house. I really have such a peace about things...I am really fatigued and my knee needs some TLC but I expected that.
I guess I am telling you this because I was so worried about how things were going to work out and I forgot that God is really in control and would take care of me. I hope that you receive peace about how things work out. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I hope that you are able to get some sleep. Don't forget that if your knee is swollen you will not have the ROM. The swelling inhibits your knee and sometimes stretching isn't the answer but the answer is icing and elevating and taking meds.
Right now you seem to be the caretaker for everyone and that is exhausting so don't feel guility for taking some time for yourself.
Greda
 
Everyone has such wonderful words of wisdom, just when I need them! Thank you to each one of you.


I'm absolutely certain that God is in control! The "big" picture always proves that - especially when one looks back on situations. However, when you're in the midst of the turmoil it's sometimes hard to look at the big picture because you're so caught up in the "little" stuff! That's where I find myself. Busy shopping for three households, picking up prescriptions for my family, my Mom, my sister and her cat (insulin and syringes!!!), taking care of mom and dad's financial matters, my job at school, my job as choir director of two choirs at church, miscellaneous meetings/activities in the evenings, visiting my Dad (and Mom and sister) at the rehab center, etc..... It's so easy to get caught up in the details and not see at the big picture.


I know that no matter what happens, it is God's will, and there's nothing I can do to change that (nor do I want to!). I feel that my goal in all of this is to make things as easy as possible for all involved, especially my father. So...I'm very anxious to hear what the company that provides caregivers has to say about using a Hoyer lift. We really need to get Dad home. He isn't thriving at the rehab center, in fact, they've stopped trying to help him walk, and if they don't try, he'll never walk again. So we need caregivers that will at least try to help him regain his strength. I'll be talking to the person that sets that up tomorrow.


Today was a first since my surgery - - - I wore heels to church! My knees were fine! Absolutely no more pain than usual - in fact, maybe less. Yay! (Don't think I'll wear them to school, but it was fine for a couple of hours this morning!)
 
I am so hoping you get a break soon. I don't know how you do it -- working and caring for everyone.
I am impressed that you wore heels to church. That is a huge accomplishment!
:dancy:
Greda
 
KneedKnees, you know how we are always looking for something we can do for others when they are going through tough times? Think you've found it! What if you hired a cleaning crew to come in and really get the deep cleaning done? Your knees wouldn't have to take the abuse and your mom wouldn't have to feel guilty about you doing it. You could make it a gift. People are happier when their environment is clean, I think. Just a thought.
 
KK you load is heavy at times yet you find relief in the right places. May this wisdom and love go with you each day for more recovery for yourself. You are on a good path, so are you Greda! :thumb:
 
We have an appointment on Thursday, with the geriatric care company that is coordinating my Dad's care when he leaves the rehab facility. The RN from the caregiver's agency will be evaluating him this morning, and the nursing/PT staff at the rehab center will also be re-evaluating him to see if because of his limited mobility, he might be eligible for Medicare benefits for home health care. That would be a huge blessing!

At the meeting on Thursday we'll be discussing whether between hospice care and regular caregivers, they can provide the kind of care my Dad needs. If not, we'll see about a different place for him to be - we aren't completely satisfied with where he currently is. I'm continuing to pray for his return home - where he can hopefully be comfortable and more relaxed.

We're still planning on getting away for a couple of days this weekend, barring any unforeseen circumstances at "home". My mother didn't seem too upset about us being gone! We're going to the Twin Cities to the Mall of America. We always have a nice time there.

We have parent/teacher conferences tonight and tomorrow morning. I don't love these, though I usually don't have too many parents stop and talk with me...Choir and Art aren't usually the subjects that kids get bad grades in, but I have several who haven't done their Music Theory homework, and I'm ready to tell the parents about it!

I'm actually missing a day of going to the rehab center because of these conferences. I'm not going to let myself feel guilty for not being there!
 
KK, I would recommend you seriously consider the hospice care. Even if your dad's condition isn't critical the help they could provide to all of you would be such a relief! The hospice care we used when my dad was ill was great, they provided his meds and some other care as well. This took the burden off the family, even if it was just going to the pharmacy or dealing with the insurance. I can't say if it is right for you, but it was wonderful for us.

I continue to keep you in my thoughts! Take care! :grouphug2:
 
KK,

No need to feel guilty. With all that's on your plate right now you are getting more than enough PT all by yourself. I found, for myself, that the structured PT got me just so far and that just everyday living with a few home exercises have brought me so much farther. It really PAINED:th_heehee: me to have to pay for PT when I was doing the exact same thing at home for FREE:scratch: Also, I found that not having to run out every other day and doing my exercises at my pace in my time helped me to relax more and then things started to get better for me.

Sounds like the trip this weekend will do some real good for you, just to step back from the "home" situation and relax a bit might just really help the knees.

Try not to overdo it but ENJOY yourself.
 
Hospice was great with my dad. They took care of him so well and they understood the anxiety and stress on the family too.
 
Enjoy your trip this weekend, you need to revitalize yourself with your full basket of responsibilities. Geriatrics & mental health has been my specialty for over 20 yrs; hospice is great. Hopefully the team will devise a home plan acceptable to you & your dad's needs. Medicare should cover hospice care.
Praying for you!!
Darlene
 
Hi Everyone ~

Well...back to reality! We had a nice weekend, and I really tried to relax and enjoy, but it was impossible! Plus, my knees and legs hurt a lot - probably mainly from walking so much, but they caused me a lot of stress as well.


Our meeting on Thursday with the geriatric care company and the RN from the caregiver company went very well, and we set a goal of having Dad home by Thanksgiving. They felt that it would be very possible to meet his needs at home, as well as take care of my mother. Hospice will definitely be part of the picture, and I think it will be good for both of my parents.

After the meeting we took Dad for a doctor appointment at his Primary doctor's office. I think the doctor was somewhat shocked at how my dad looked and acted. He talked with us about a feeding tube. We went back with some definite questions about what the future would hold.

A bit later in the evening, my Mom called to tell me that my Dad had been taken to the hospital. Apparently they had done some bloodwork earlier in the day, and the results were all off. They tried inserting an IV and couldn't get it in, so had him transferred to the hospital. I'm very thankful that they did. Now, a few days later, he looks 100% better - because they inserted a GN feeding tube. So now that he's getting nutrition, he's talking to people and in much better condition. However...he's tried multiple times to remove the feeding tube and IV. I think his dementia has progressed so that he doesn't see the correspondance between the tube and IV, and his health. To him, they are a bother, and he wants them gone. So now he has to have someone sitting with him 24/7 to make sure he doesn't pull them out.

Then...yesterday my Mom called to let me know that she has Shingles. She had a rash on her stomach and back, and I saw it and told her that it was probably caused by stress. She went down to the emergency room at the hospital yesterday and they wouldn't let her go back to see my Dad after that. She can't go until she is cleared by the infectious diseases department. I don't think Dad quite understood that she wouldn't be able to come. I can't get there until after work today.

So this throws a monkeywrench into all of the plans that were being made for his coming home. When will he be released from the hospital? When he is, will he need care 24/7? Will he have a feeding tube, or will he start to feel better and begin to eat himself? When will Mom be able to see him? How much care will they both need at home?

My mind is just swimming with what-ifs and hows and whens. I can barely fathom what is going to happen. I know that God is in control, but it is just so hard to see "how" it's all going to play out in the next few weeks.

My knees are once again the least of the worries! I have a doctor's scrip for one month of PT, but don't know if I'll be able to do it now with everything else going on.

When is enough enough?
 
KK,

You might see more progress with your dad now that he has a feeding tube. I had an experience with a friend with slight dementia who also wasn't eating well, when she had moved to live with someone and started eating properly she improved greatly. They need to feed the brain and if they just aren't eating that seems to be what affects them. Hoping this might help and you see some improvement soon.
 
It just seems like you can't get a break. I am so sorry. It seemed like things were turning around and then more stuff. I have been wondering how you were doing. Try to find some time to take of yourself...I know if won't be easy. You will be in my prayers.
Greda
 
Hi KK, I am so sorry your family issues are mounting up, I do hope you will manage to have the strength to deal with them. My thoughts are with you and keep us posted.
 
It seems that I just don't have the time right now to spend here on Bonesmart. I miss this time of relaxation and venting, and worry that I've lost my need to be part of this forum...


however...my Bonesmart "family" - those of you who have really stuck around and been here for me, are so very much appreciated! When I feel guilty for not commenting on others posts, you lift me up. When I feel bad for complaining on here, you reassure me. When I feel as if nothing is going right, you remind me of all of the things that are. Thank you!!!


My Dad is doing pretty well, although I fear his dementia has progressed quite a bit in the past weeks. He remembers very little of what happens throughout the day, or within the past weeks. He's not mad or angry, just a bit frustrated because he wants to go home. Unfortunately, because of my Mom's shingles, he can't go home when they discharge him from the hospital (which could be tomorrow). My Mom needs time to recover herself before adding the burden of Dad's care to her plate. He remembers that she is ill and can't visit him when I mention it, but wonder how often during the day he wonders where one of us is!


It appears that he will be going to a very nice rehab center, since we WON'T take him back to where he was prior to the hospital. He is just getting supplemental feedings with the feeding tube now, and they expect he'll do very well. (We're not too sure about that, since when he didn't have one before he was labeled as "failure to thrive". We don't want to see that happen again.) They may put in a peg-tube (into the stomach), which could be used if needed.


There is so much stress right now. On Tuesday I went from school to the doctor (an appointment for me), to the hospital, to my Mom's house to my sister's house and got gas in her car and delivered her groceries. The less busy days, like today, are just all day at school, stop at the hospital, stop at Mom's house, then go home. Even that makes me just exhausted!!! I don't know how much longer I can keep going at this pace......


When I get home I make supper, eat, make lunches for the next day and hit the bed. Now I just wish I could sleep through the night!

We Wisconsinites have snow... this makes me very unhappy! I hate the cold, and snow is just a visible confirmation that it is cold!!!

As usual, the lack of exercise keeps my ROM from improving. My knees and legs feel stronger, but I don't have time to do my exercises. I climbed on the stationary bike this morning and did about 10 minutes. It is easier than it used to be!

I hope to get back to more regular posting and encouraging on other threads once things settle down in my life. Hopefully Dad will be home soon, and I won't have to visit 2-3 family members each day before I go home from school! I just want to make sure everyone is safe, comfortable and where they want to be!
 
KK, your plate is so full right now - you have no reason to worry about anything but taking care of yourself and your family! :console: I hope things get easier for you soon, you deserve a break!! :grouphug2:
 
Kat is right. Your BoneSmart family understands the demands on your time and we're here whenever you need us or want to chat. But never...ever....feel bad about not posting as much. We understand that all our members have a life outside of the forum.

You have much to deal with right now. You're doing such a great job taking care of everything and juggling all the tasks on your plate. I just hope you can allow a little time for yourself. Taking care of the caregiver is critical.

Hugs to you, hon!!! You are SuperWoman.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom