Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it always seem that just when you're feeling that things are starting to go well...something happens and you feel like you're taking a step backward?

Last week (weekend) I posted about my realization that my knees didn't hurt. That lasted for one day! Now, my left knee is swollen, and hurts pretty badly. I don't know that I did anything to make it hurt, other than wear my shoes with "heels" (maybe 1"). My legs and knees don't hurt when I walk in them, and I didn't notice anything hurting that night, but the next morning, I noticed the tenderness right away. I could tell it was swollen, and it's been painful ever since. Of course, I'm favoring it a bit now. I should probably elevate and ice!

And then, there's my Dad. He's not really getting any better. In fact, I would say that he's worse. He was at the ER Friday morning, because my Mom and the caregiver thought he aspirated some water. They checked out his lungs and they were fine, and they sent him home. He's been coughing since, and we think he has an upper respiratory infection. We found out today that Medicare is stopping his PT because he isn't "making any progress", which I can see. He's too weak to stand, and his dementia is such that he doesn't have the "drive" to do things on his own. He sleeps all day, waking up enough to eat (though he sometimes falls asleep during that as well), and sits in his recliner all day. He has 2 small bed sores as well. I feel so bad that this is happening, but I feel that it's just a matter of time now. Mom doesn't even want to think about that, but she is also feeling that we shouldn't have brought him home. I keep trying to tell her (without saying it bluntly) that it's good that he can be at home where he is comfortable instead of in a facility where she can only be with him for part of the day. I would rather he be at home to "sleep away" time, than lying in a hospital bed.

Sorry if this sounds depressing...just trying to mentally prepare myself for the days/weeks/months ahead...keeping myself going, along with my Mom, Dad and Sister... (Plus we're having some similar issues with my Father-in-law, as I've mentioned previously.)

At least our weather has been mild, with very little snow, so far. That is the ONLY thing that is keeping me sane right now! Actually, I spent most of last week in such physical and mental agony from stress that I don't want to relive again. It finally caught up with me and I had shoulder and back pain that was so severe I thought I was having a heart attack. My head ached every day, and I had severe nausea for about 5 days. Much better now.

Hopefully the knee will start behaving again soon!
 
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Life can be so tough sometimes. I pray God gives you grace and strength to get through these tough times.:friends:
 
KK....my heart goes out to you. I know this is tough.

My mother went through similar things with her dementia. I recognize that decrease in "drive" and the constant sleeping.

You mention that your mom is having doubts about him being home now. You really do need to address that with yourself and with her. Caregiving 24/7 (even if she has LOTS of help) is so draining and her comments could be a signal that it's just too much for her. It may be that you need to let her and your dad make the decisions about what to do......just something to think about.

It is the worst thing in the world to watch your strong, loving parents weaken and become sick. I feel for you. But....it is part of the cycle of life and the important thing is to make whatever time there is the best you can. That just might be an excellent care facility for your dad where he can enjoy visits from you and your mom that are free from any stress of the tasks of everyday tasks.

I especially want to caution you about those bed sores. They can get bad very quickly, so keep a constant watch on them. He should be turned regularly (every two hours at least) and propped with pillows so that there is no pressure on those areas at any time. You also want to use an ointment like Desitin (for diaper rash in babies) on the sores to protect the area.
 
Last week (weekend) I posted about my realization that my knees didn't hurt. That lasted for one day! Now, my left knee is swollen, and hurts pretty badly.
Honey, that's how it goes - you get a good day now and again, and then a couple of good days now and again and so on and so on. Perfectly normal .....
 
I know it's been quite a while since I last posted here. Much has happened in the last few weeks.

It seems that it was just a short time ago that we began our journey with my father having his quadruple bypass surgery. What followed is a blur of time spent in rehab/nursing home, trips back to the hospital, bringing him home in time for Christmas (sweet memories), trips to the ER, another stay in the hospital, and finally bringing him home this past Monday in hospice care.

On Tuesday night, January 17th, my Dad passed away at 10:45 PM. I was with him as he took his last breath here on earth and then took his next breath in Heaven. It was a sad moment for us, but a joyous moment for him. It was a very peaceful death, and my Mom, sister and I were all there with him to witness his "homegoing" to Heaven.

I would like to thank those of you who were with me through the past 4-5 months, encouraging, reassuring, and offering (((hugs))). I really have appreciated having a place to come where people didn't judge me for the things I said, or question decisions that I made. It was so nice to be able to vent, ask questions, and read advice. Some of you really stuck with me to the end, and I appreciate your friendship.

I'm hoping that soon, as things begin to settle down, I'll be able to return more actively to the forum. There are still things that need to be dealt with as far as my Mom and sister are concerned, but things WILL settle down partially.

I still am not feeling 100% recuperated from my knee surgery, and hope that with a little time and focus on the knees, I can recover more range of motion, and have fewer bouts with pain.

Thank you again...:cry: He's home...:prayer1:
 
KneedKnees, I am sorry for you loss, but grateful your father is at peace. It has been a long journey for you all and I know it isn't an easy one. Make sure you take time to take care of yourself as well as those around you. :grouphug2:
 
KK I am sorry for the loss of your father, its never easy. I t was good you and your family was there with him for his home going to God. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.:prayer1:
 
Dear KK, My sympathy is sent to you and your family at this sad time. Your beloved Father is now at peace. You are a strong lady I can sense and I'm sure you will be a power of strength for your Mum and sister but please take time for yourself to grieve and reflect. It takes time to adjust to such a loss and please don't rush the process. My thoughts are with you xxx
 
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. I am glad you were all able to be there.
I am sure it is going to be a busy time for you so don't forget to take care of yourself.
Greda
 
KK, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what a shock it is, even when it's expected. I wish you and your family strength as you deal with this sadness.

Heidi
 
My condolences. I am so pleased that both you and he had the assurance of the Lord about his future.
 
Kneed......I have been thinking about you the past few days and now I know why. I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad. But, I know he was thankful to be home and with all of you in those last days on this earth. His spirit is soaring with the Lord. He'll be watching over you and can guide you from your heart now. Talk to him anytime and he'll be there.

God bless you for the strength and wisdom you have provided to your family through all of this. I know his passing will mean some changes for everyone. Don't try to rush things. The important thing is that you all take care of each other and remember the special times you have shared.

(((HUGS))))
 
I am so sorry for the loss of your father but also so glad you and your family were together at home over the holidays and had so much time with him. May the Lord give you peace and comfort during this time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom