Bilateral TKR I Made It! (KneedKnees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no suggestions for you, but am thinking about you and your family. It's a tough situation. :console:
 
kneeper ~ thank you for your kind thoughts!


Question: (maybe for Jo or Jamie)

Should I still be taking Vicodin at 10 weeks post-op? I always try to take it before bed so I don't wake up with leg pains. I also take 2 Excedrin at around 4:00 AM - this is the only way to handle my daily headaches. Then, I need to wait 4-6 hours to take the next Vicodin. I usually forget, because that puts it during the middle of a class. Then, I think I should take one in the afternoon since I forgot the morning one, but if I take one then, there's not enough time before I take the one prior to bedtime. So, my main question is whether I should even still be taking it.

Comments?
 
I am not Jo or Jamie, but I stopped all the narcotics about 4 weeks ago, and have been having trouble figuring out what will stop the annoying ache/throb in the knee, I had TKR Aug 4, you had 2, I had 1, but same pain....
I am now per Jo and Jamie taking every 6 hours 2 tylenol extra strength and 2 advil. Seems so far to be doing the trick. The new PT person I have now also massaged the heck out of my knee, just around the knee, knee cap, right below it, and around the sides, said that I had a lot of tissue that was stiff, need massaging, kneeding, to break it up, and that was causing part of my pain....now, yes, its better today, I am massaging it too, wasn't doing that area around the knee, and it seems to be a bit better.... hope you figure out with the meds, not fun, this TKR, but we are headed in the right direction.
 
There's no should or shouldn't about it, kneeper. It's entirely up to you and how much pain you have. I was taking mu full dose Tramadol for 12 weeks. Then I found I was forgetting to take doses here and there or taking just the paracetamol on it's own. There's no exact science about this - it's all trial and error and see how it works out. If your pain is reducing, why not try what Natalie has described.
 
I can't take any ibuprofen because I only have one kidney, so the Advil plus Tylenol is out for me.

As long as Jo says that I can continue on the Vicodin, I will. I need to make an appointment to see my OS, and will ask how long he recommends taking it. I'll let him know that I still wake up with leg pain during the night, and that I only take 1 or 2 per day.

The knees seem swollen tonight. Some ice should help! Time for bed!!! :sleepz:
 
I would say you need to keep taking the pain meds as long as you have pain routinely. Your body will let you know when you can quit....you won't need it any more at some point to be relatively pain free. At that point, you could switch to Tylenol.
 
Thanks Jamie! I'm planning to continue the Vicodin - got another prescription from my OS. I'm just not quite ready to tolerate the pain that's still there.


I've been running a lot of errands for my mother and sister, and I'm very tired and sore. Much too much time spent on my feet! Right now, I'm lying on the couch with my feet elevated - toes above nose. I'm going to bed very soon, trying to catch up on some sleep. Because I'm so overtired, I got a cold as well. I was taking Vitamin C morning and night trying to fend it off, but it didn't work! I currently have NO VOICE - which doesn't work very well for a choir director!!! I'm hoping it comes back quickly - it's hard to teach without a voice.


The situation with my father is not really looking too bright. I don't think he'll make it home. He's doing "OK", but I just don't think he will improve enough to be released to go home. I've talked with my Mom about it, and told her there are 3 basic options


1) he will come home, but things won't be the way they used to be - he will need some caregivers, as will my mom.

2) he will not come home, but my mom will stay at home. She will then need the help of a caregiver.

3) both dad and mom will go to a skilled nursing or assisted living facility.


Needless to say, this is a lot for her to think about, and she says she really would like to be able to stay at home. However, I've pointed out that scenario will most likely be without Dad. Then she thinks a little more about it and says that it's too early to make a decision.


Anyone that is a "pray-er", please continue praying for a peaceful, God-pleasing solution to these issues.
 
I'm not a prayer, KneedKnees, but my thoughts are with you and I hope for the best for you and your parents. It is always a tough situation. My husband and I have been through the illnesses and loss of all four of our parents, three siblings and ountless aunts and uncles in our thirty two years together. It's just difficult to deal with, no matter how you slice it. I wish you strength.
 
I will continue praying for you...it is such a hard situation. It is hard for you and the rest of your family. We are going through a similar situation with my in-laws. My husband has siblings that can step in and help however whenever anything big needs to happen they all want my husband to handle it. I feel bad for you because I know it is all up to you. I will pray for you and your parents to have peace with whatever decision is made.
Greda
 
KneedKnees.....I so understand your problem. I'm glad you're taking good care of yourself also in the middle of all this. You are definitely in my prayers. This is never easy.

You'll probably need to let your mother sit with these three options for a while. This is all such a trauma for her, I know. The way will become clear with some time, though. You don't have to make any decision right this moment.

But....I encourage you....as your strength will permit....to start checking out potential facilities. You can do a lot of it by phone and internet. Make a list of possibilities and then go visit. Go unannounced and ask for a tour. Go in the middle of the day and see what is going on. There is a wide range for the standard of care in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. I was amazed when I did my search for my mom years ago. Since then, I've helped a couple of friends scout out good facilities for their parents. You need to be prepared. If your dad needs to move to a skilled nursing facility, you might have to make that move for him with little more than 24 hours notice. Hospitals don't tell you that, but it works that way sometimes and then you have no choices. Many of the good facilities have waiting lists. Get on them if you find a place you like. If your name comes up and you're not ready, you can always tell them to go to the next name on the list and leave you on top. They will do that.
 
Jamie ~

Thank you for your encouraging and compassionate words. The situation has escalated as there was a "care" meeting yesterday that my Mom forgot to tell me about :what:. At the meeting, which I came into in the last 5 minutes, they told us that there wasn't much else they could do for my dad. He is compliant with all they do with him in PT, but otherwise, unresponsive when spoken to, and he doesn't take the initiative to do anything else than what he's asked. He still isn't eating much, and barely drinks anything. He's lost 4 lbs. in the past week. They will have to let Medicare know this, and he will likely be discharged next week. At that point, he can stay at the facility (private pay), or be moved. They will not recommend that he goes home, as he needs constant supervision, and my mom is in agreement that it would not work.


So now, the options become a little more narrow. We are going to look at a facility this afternoon, and will probably continue to look over the weekend, into next week. Hopefully he won't have to stay at this facility too long, as it is over $7000/month.

Yesterday my Mom and I talked to Dad and asked what he was thinking about all of this, and he wouldn't talk to us. He didn't even say a word. He just shrugs his shoulders as his response to every question. We know he can talk, because a little later he said, "I just want to get over there into the bed." It's as if he's lost the will to live and is content to exist - not being concerned about us, his family.

This is tough. Plus, I have to go on teaching, tending to my family, and trying to keep up with my knee recovery. (Guess what is being sacrificed?!? - the knees.)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:6-7 (Just trying to live that these days!)
 
I am so sorry you have to deal with all this! :console: It is so hard! I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug2:
 
Kneed Knees, I am so sorry for all you are going through with the knee recovery, teaching, and family. My parents died when I was young so I never knew the joy of taking care of them as they got older. Actually they were always old since they had me about as late in life as one can have a child. Yet, I know you will keep the "good" memories in mind and know one day the resurrection will come to them and your family can perhaps be together forever. It is just so hard with all the stress, but you are in my prayers. There are many out there to help you, it will work out. Hang in there and keep asking your questions to many. Take care of yourself especially, and usually first at this time until you are recovered. Hugs. Ann:friends:
 
So sorry that you have to be dealing with all of this so soon after your knee surgery. I am sure that makes it even more stressful. As hard as it is we do what we have to do in the circumstances. It's hard on everybody. I will keep you in my prayers. Consider yourself hugged.
 
Thank you for all of the ((((hugs))))! I really do feel and appreciate them. :friends:

I apologize to anyone who is reading this thread that expects to find "all-knees-all-the-time". Right now, the best thing for my knee recovery, is having a place to share my feelings about my family issues, and though I know this probably isn't the "right" forum, it's the place where people "know" me, and have already shown their care and concern. I know I can trust you - my Bonesmart family - and also know that you are understanding my pain, both physical and mental, in this situation. :sigh:

Yesterday we toured a facility which was very nice. We talked at length with the head of the health care facility there, and feel confident that Dad would be okay there. However...as we talked about it, we truly wondered if he was showing us anger at what has "become" of his life, perhaps subconsciously. We discussed what we thought Dad would want, and since he won't tell us what he wants, we're going to assume he wants to go home, and find a way to try it, with the help of home health caregivers. If it becomes too much of a burden on my mother, or if he isn't safe at home, we'll connect with the place we toured yesterday.

We found out that when/if my sister is "ready" to go to a care facility, she won't be allowed to be in assisted living, because she must use a Hoyer lift for transferring. So...the plan to have the three of them together in the same location probably won't be feasible. *Sigh*

I asked my husband if we could do something tonight that would really take my mind off of everything that's going on. We might go to a movie, or rent one and get Chinese take-out. Just a relaxing evening at home. :sleepz:
 
Don't worry about your posts not being about knees all the time. Mine are definitely more about my life as I work through this time. It seems like when we are vulnerable (while healing) the stresses of life still come. I know that the stresses are hard by themselves but add healing from major surgery and it is a whole new ballgame.
I hope you are able to get some rest tonight. I will keep you in my prayers.
Take Care,
Greda
 
Greda ~

I just posted a similar thing on your thread :-) telling you that I hope you get some sleep! :rolleyes:


It is tough when life gets in the way of our recuperation. I truly feel that I have lost ROM, and am certainly in more pain than I was even a month ago. I had a great plan to be intentional about my exercise, and I haven't done a lick of it, because I haven't had time. Between work (school), my own family, my parents and sister and running errands for them, I literally get home at 9:00 PM, make lunches and go to bed. (Though I don't sleep...I suppose I could get up and do some work then, but I'm ever hopeful that I'll actually fall asleep.) I worry that I'm on my way to an MUA. :confused:

A personal question, Greda - where in the U.S. do you live? Just curious... :wink2:
 
Kneed Knees.... life just keep going on darn it! It is so much a part of the recovery process for each of us. In a perfect world we wouldn't have a troubled recovery, hey we wouldn't even have knee surgery!! Well, in the mean time we will just have to keep a positive direction going. Hang in there. Isn't there a living facility that has all different levels in it so your sister would be at one spot and the others at another, and even more critical care offered if any needed that? My first husband had a TBI and after awhile passed away, but I remember one facility like this for him that was excellent. Keep looking.
 
Ann ~

We have looked for a facility that would accomodate all three - they are around, however, that's not what they want! They (mom and sister) would want to be together, and Assisted Living sections don't allow Hoyer lifts to be used (to transfer her from chair to bed). And my mom and dad would be on different levels of care, she in Assisted Living, he in Health Care. And the three of them want to be together. I understand that what they want might not be feasible, but they aren't ready to hear that now.

I never asked for life to be easy, but I certainly didn't bargain for all of this! I'm trying hard to trust that this will all work out for the best, but sometimes its hard to understand. And all of the stress makes it tough to work on my recovery!

Trying to stay positive...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom