THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Update. In chair and getting out of bed much easier. Staff Nurse SAM brilliant and agreed my pain medication not enough. Now have air mattress and morphine every 2 hours and more of it. She was shocked and said my pain levels were Very understandable re lack of proper medication and the morphine level far too low. I surprised myself by washing myself, getting some knickers on using the grabber and without training, and when buttoning up my own nightshirt realised I was standing independently without holding on to the walker. Things a bit painful now but the ice will sort that. Now need to be firm with the physios... I may still make a complaint when this is all over as no one should have to go through what I did, as Sam admitted the pain plan was all wrong. She had not been around until today... so hopefully things will improve. She said I should be on 3x the dose they had allocated. She is weighing me later today to get the dosage absolutely correct. I hope she writes this all up for future staff as not sure how often I will see her...
 
It’s possible you might be ready for an assisted shower if they have a walk-in one and you have a waterproof dressing on.
I was going to suggest you ask for a waterproof dressing if you don't already have one. That would let you shower.

Sounds like they are getting on top of things. Dreadful that you had to go through this however!
 
Taking a turn for the better. Someone competent taking an overview. . As you say no-one should have recovery mismanaged. When their chief concern is fear of the consultant not finding you in a chair something is strange.

Hope you have a more normal recovery day today. Less pain, more range of movement. We’re all cheering you on.:walking:
 
Got out of bed and into the chair and no issues.Well it was all going fine until they said I had to have an X-ray today where they would roll me from the bed into the x Ray bed. At that point I put my foot down and refused. The physio came to assess me and said no way could I do that but could manoeuvre up from the wheelchair to the X-ray bed but deadleg would have to be handled with care! She and the staff nurse insisted I should be scheduled at the end of the day so they had a chance to adjust the pain medication.

Airmatress solved the problem of my right buttock immediately. And Sam has reviewed my pain chart and upped everything!
 
Well done you. Correct decision.

You are going to have evaluate everything they want to do as they don't seem to be too clever.
I had an xray done on the morning of day 2. It was done exactly in the way the physio suggests. They lowered the xray bed to a suitable level, I transferred from the wheelchair onto the bed and the radiographor put my log leg on. It was OK - not easy but doable.
At that time I was in a fair amount of pain and taking Tramadol. Felt pretty weak and nauseous when I got back upstairs and that was the end of Tramadol for me!

You will be fine with this they are checking the alignment of the joint implants.
 
She and the staff nurse insisted I should be scheduled at the end of the day so they had a chance to adjust the pain medication.
Finally they have the priorities right. Get that pain managed so that you can regain your mobility.
 
Aww, SurreyGirl what a mess!
Hate to see you struggling like you are. I hope they get your pain under control and then manage it well.
Things will get better, getting through these initial first few days can be tough.
Sending hugs and wishes for increasing comfort and peace as the day progresses.
@SurreyGirl
 
So sorry you had to go through all the BS before they got everything straightened out. Glad to hear you’re doing better. This is all going to be a new experience for me as I’ve never had major surgery before but I’m glad I found this site. It’s helping me better prepared! And I so appreciate all the people who post their experiences!
Hope you have a better day today.
 
Thanks everyone. Have been in and out of bed twice today. Dreading X-ray but insisting on chair to bed method rather than rolling as that would kill me right now. Very woozy so can tell meds are up. Managing quite well with standing and sitting. Walking Hamburg’s and I still need help to get in and out of bed.

Men look away now.
My HrT patch was removed during surgery and with the recent weather I had to add hot flashes. Period started this morning but manageable. But I have been on hrt for five years!
 
Oh yes, those darn hot flashes - I remember them well. Not sure if this will make you laugh or show what a dork I am but I’m sitting here in sunny Florida listening to one of my cable channels playing Christmas in July music - Dean Martin singing “Let it Snow, Let it Snow”.
 
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. The pain meds came whenever I requested and I received Hydrocodone at the hospital and it worked for me. Your hospital experience sounds like my first hospital experience almost 50 years ago. Plenty of screaming and yelling and crying going on, patients in the hallway and very understaffed.
 
Hang in there...hopefully things will beer getting easier.
You are doing great:tada:
 
SurreyGirl,
Have you read the information from @Josephine yet about what kind of physio/exercise/workout programme she recommends for this stage of your recovery ? (2 days) She is very experienced, and has her black marker pen ready to go. :)
 
Yes I have. The torn muscle in my bum was careless physio on the first day making standing very painful. The air mattress has made a huge difference. I now have a different therapist and she is excellent. Concentrating on walking gait tomorrow. She says some of the bed exercises are easier out of bed. She really stood up for me today when the x Ray chap wanted to use the roll over method to get me on the X-ray bed. I flatly refused. She told him firmly I was in far too much pain to let that happen and Staff Nurse Sam agreed. She tried to get the X-ray postponed until tomorrow but the Consultant was insisting it had to be today. They are all scared of him. So she and the good Staff Nurse said to put me at the end of the day so that I had plenty of pain meds in the system. I did it by wheelchair, walker, bed. Apart from the fact that to get to the bed I had to lead from the operated side it was fine. Now in bed and feeling so much better! Thanks to you all for your continuing support xx
 
And the physio was very impressed with my walking and how I was working it out. I can now get to the loo so bye bye commode and can stand solidly without the walker although I am not making a habit of it. . The leg is quite strong once the muscle pain is sorted. Physio and I agreed that we would stop anything I was uncomfortable with and discuss everything beforehand..
 
You are sounding so much better! Pain is absolutely no fun. Glad they are getting you sorted out. As a girl raised in South Alabama and now in Florida, I love reading your posts and learning what/who things are called 'over the pond'.

You are through the worst days, it's just going to get better every day from here...
 
What a rough start you have had but great that things are turning around now. Like @Apricot said, they shouldn't admit patients if the staff can't manage to meet patient care needs! Makes me quite cross that you have had to suffer so. I find what you went through pretty outrageous to be honest and worthy of formal complaint. Nurse Sam and your new physio sound like they are competent and caring....about bloody time! You are on your way by the sounds of things though, and I wish you continued healing, good care, and homeward heading as soon as you are ready :-)
 
SurreyGirl, It'so good to hear that things are turning around for you. What a run of... well, you weren't very lucky, and badly attended. I hope all the rough parts are behind you now, and the rest is smoooooooth. If you are looking for some silly humorous distraction, come and play with me in the social room forum. I started a poetry thread. You can post poetry about hip surgery. Knee surgery poems are also welcome. I have been posting limericks. It's a distracting thing to do when you are lying there healing, but can't read another word about Brexit, can't settle into a novel, tired of TV....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom