THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

After 9 hours in the Recovery Ward with great nursing and constant attention they finally found a bed for me - in a private room which is very very hot. Apparently I got it because the ward was full and I had “been very patient”

Advantages nice and quiet

Disadvantages the aide who is looking after me does not speak much English so I am keeping sentences short and sweet and saying “thank you” a lot.

Also need pain meds now and scared to ring the bell in case people think I am a fusspot...

Problem solved! I was asking for anti sickness medication but the time came for transfer to the ward. The handover nurse thought I had had it. I hadn’t. No sick bowl in private room so quickly grabbed the box of tissues, chucked half them out and went for it. Hubby then fetched side with some cardboard bowls. Maybe last nights king prawn biryani was a mistake. About to go for round two of the morphine. Such fun ;-)

Well I have just chucked up two bowls worth including last nights biriyani. . This was after the female aide swore to me that I had been given the anti sickness drug. I hadn’t.She had to go rushing for the second bowl

As I was rapidly filling up the first.

So I now have more morphine, and the antisickess drug in my next pain meds around 9:30. I think they know how I am now xx

scared to ring the bell in case people think I am a fusspot.
Do not hesitate to ring for your medication! You need it to get mobile.
So I now have more morphine, and the antisickess drug in my next pain meds around 9:30.
Morphine is a tough one. It makes most people sick. Be sure they give you anti-nausea meds regularly. See if there are other options for pain control. I declined all morphine as it would have the same effect on me. There are plenty of alternatives. Ask for one and some ice.

Hang in there @SurreyGirl ! It does get easier fairly quickly. Tomorrow is another day.

Thank you! I wondered if it was the morphine as had Spinal not gA. bet I wake up hungry tomorrow. I have a fellow violinist friend who is a Radiologist here and she is kindly bringing me in coconut water and wine gums. That should help although would prefer the wine without the gums!

Hope you get to keep the peaceful room. Be sure to chase them if you feel they are being sloppy. Sounds as if they are not crisply organised for medicine rounds. Must admit something lighter on the digestion better before anaesthesia. You might feel picky about food for a while try to eat what you can. Imagine you will be up and chasing around tomorrow.

Well I am getting to know the staff! Ward 1 has six people in it and they have been ringing bells all night.
I managed to spill half a jug of water into the bed but luckily not on the wound side as consultant a stickler for not getting the wound wet. Tbh it cooked me down as such a very hot night. I have a good view from my window so hoping for a thunderstorm!

Managed 3.5 hours sleep which is amazing. Aide came in at 5:30 to check no etc and all fine. I can wiggle my toes and ankles...

Have had a word re them missing my antibiotics and pain meds and they apologised. Only 20 mins late but they admitted they had forgotten. The pain meds here are timed I have asked very politely for an alternative to the morphine. The paracetamol drip put in last night worked a treat. Not enough pee but no saline solution currently . Have asked hubby for bananas as drinking so much water.

Today is the day they try to get me up... help!

Hope all other new hippies are having success. It really is on in a day to day basis. Small victories. I fancy a ginger biscuit right now!

Welcome to the good side @SurreyGirl ! Sorry you are stuck in recovery. Easy does it - don't be in a rush to do anything. Ask for ice if you start feeling anything. Also ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. You are on your way!
They won’t give me ice. Willl try again today..

And my chair has disappeared. Don’t know when that happened!

Lying down doing the 30 minute flat in back to stretch hips. Burning pain bad as meds not kicked in. But I have an ice pack. Hurrah. Can’t do most of the exercises yet as definitely have log leg this morning. They are taking out the catheter today so dreadedbedpan coming up..

At the moment wondering if all worth it but done now and no going back!

06:45 and going to be another hot day!
Btw feeling icky as not had a wash since before the op. Ew.did brush my teeth though about 3 times which helps. No curry today. Will stick to sandwiches :))

Had my first stomach injection and thought it worse than the spinal but short lived pain. I now know what to expect

Ice helping the burning pains feels like torn muscles through overdoing it at the gym. Which is probably about right..

They are taking out the catheter today so dreadedbedpan coming up..
You will be up and moving around on your own very soon. No bedpan needed. Just be sure and ask for a member of staff to walk with you to the loo the first few times.

Physio came and managed to stand up twice but could not make it to the chair. Pain was an 8 at least. Now have ice machine and cuff. Apparently the consultant would prefer me to be sitting in a chair. Yeah right! Physio coming back this afternoon. Standing not too bad but getting into the position from the bed to the edge of it was the hardest thing.

Thanks for all your support. Need a wash as have not had one since pre op. Ugh!

It gets easier and everyone differs in how your body reacts to the pain, movement and the likes. Just ensure to keep your legs together as you move off the bed, lead with your operated leg. Slow movements. Physio was saying to me if I'm comfortable sitting up in the bed no major rush to be sitting in the chair. I did sign in it for all meals. You're on the other side and the hard part is behind you as they say. Take your time and ensure to get pain Med's for when you get discharged.
That first shower is so good, makes you feel human again. Drink lots of water, you'll be up to the bathroom, but it will help.

Hang in their Surrygirl. Glad you got ice... these first days are rough!:console2:
the burning pains feels like torn muscles through overdoing it at the gym.
That's how I would've described it!
Those quads are super sore .
Sending healing hugs.:console2:
Hard to believe but will be worth it.

Thanks everyone. Catheter out and now the bedpan. Consultant wants me in the chair this afternoon. Assistant came and gave me a wash and I helped. So feeling fresher. Still no knickers! On paracetamol drip and codeine. No morphine and icing. It was the physio that got me the ice machine.

And then someone came in and said “ready for your chemo now” what! One cannot make this up... bed still in a state but they will change it during the physio this afternoon but the Consultant won’t be happy. Think of the Carry In films in the 60s when all the staff were terrified of the Big Cheese. One really needs a sense of humour to get through this!

Yours is the funniest post I've read today :rotfl: It's only 6:45AM as I'm reading but your post is in the lead.
Ready for your chemo now?!! I'm not laughing at Chemo as I understand it's purpose.
Laughing at how misdirected someone was. Your experience is sounding like a comedy of errors.
Keep us posted, this is some good stuff :heehee:
Hope the rest of your day is "normal" lol.
@SurreyGirl

Be aware that spinal stops urine for a bit. Then it can be very copious for a day. I must say it does beggar belief. Keep your wits about you. Worry not about the log leg it takes a while to go and is difficult at first. These first days are the worst. I’m sure they will want you to go on to your hip hotel as soon as you are ready. When will his Nibs come and give you feedback?
It’s fascinating hearing all the variation in approach and aftercare in the UK. Other Bonesmarties also seem to have very varied approaches to surgery and care

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks