Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

@SurreyGirl I am sure glad that you have Nurse Sam and the new physio on your team, staff who seem to be caring for you properly.

It makes me angry that you suffered a torn muscle due to the incompetence of the other physio, and did not have your pain managed properly by uncaring staff, causing you such unnecessary suffering.

Anyway, now that you have turned the corner, you will go from strength to strength. I wish you well, and hope you get home real soon.

What did your X ray reveal?

Ps. Its your right to have the imagery - I have a cd of every X ray taken since diagnosis, and its important to keep this record.
 
Thanks for this. I have one main question. I still can’t get out of bed unaided and this is very frustrating. Physio wants to concentrate on walking today but I feel getting out unaided would reassure me much more . This is day 4, surely the muscles should have fired by now? Any reassurance at this stage would be greatly appreciated. Wonder if the rotator incident set me back. I am due to go to a really good recovery home on Monday which I am paying for, but if I miss my slot there will be devastated. It is very hard to get into this place and I was lucky to get it..

Today’s goals, more walking,try to have a poo, keep morphine levels up, have @ wash, no shower yet, attempt to wash my hair which now looks like something out of a zombie movie, see my niece, Izzy, who is a Doctor!
 
Last edited:
I know that we are not supposed to compare our own journeys with others', but you sound like you are making good progress to me. I just passed through my own day 4 last week, and I was very weak. Your progress sounds just dandy to me.
 
SurreyGirl, It'so good to hear that things are turning around for you. What a run of... well, you weren't very lucky, and badly attended. I hope all the rough parts are behind you now, and the rest is smoooooooth. If you are looking for some silly humorous distraction, come and play with me in the social room forum. I started a poetry thread. You can post poetry about hip surgery. Knee surgery poems are also welcome. I have been posting limericks. It's a distracting thing to do when you are lying there healing, but can't read another word about Brexit, can't settle into a novel, tired of TV....
Thanks, sounds fun and will join you there once I feel up to it...
 
I know that we are not supposed to compare our own journeys with others', but you sound like you are making good progress to me. I just passed through my own day 4 last week, and I was very weak. Your progress sounds just dandy to me.
Oh thanks for that, it is so frustrating being able to do quite a bit now albeit with some pain but the getting out of bed independently is huge. How are you getting on now?
 
Physio wants to concentrate on walking today but I feel getting out unaided would reassure me much more .
Physio is just going through their "checklist". Make a deal with them. Once they help you get out of bed unaided you will be glad to do their walk.

And don't worry about missing your slot at the recovery place. They will want that bed you are in on Monday. My guess is that they will have you going up and down stairs either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. That's the sign you are going to be discharged.
 
My experience was much like yours Apricot and Cassidy.I was so full of trepidation when I came in on first hospital admission since childbirth years ago. Amazing staff - student nurse for admission, registrar went through recent history, problems etc, anaesthetist sat down with me to explain procedure, consultant popped into waiting room on his own just to say hello. Meds regularly, just codeine, paracetamol, anti coagulants, laxative mixtures. When I told the sister I'd had a rough night she said in future ring for more. Physios round every 2 minutes (I told one she was cruel woman!but she'd said hello before the op and she thought it was funny) to do bed stretches, get me out, try bathroom for first time. One more pop in from consultant to say it had gone well and I was being handed over to senior nursing practitioners and physios and he'd see me in 6 weeks. Again a dedicated unit and I think it makes such a difference.
Everyone should have this kind of treatment not least because it gives a better outcome.
Have to say I was on the waiting list for a very long time and the spacious waiting room was clearly 2 wards which had been closed.
 
Good morning everyone! Well looked after by the night staff. Slept from 11pm till 4am, went to the loo, asked for morphine and got it. Did some leg exercises in bed, yes they want me to do assisted slides but I am trying to do them a bit differently by wriggling my toes to get the ankle back and a partial raise towards the knee then push down again and refuse to force anything! Then sleep through until 7:3o am whichis great! The air mattress has taken all pressure off my bum and to my amazement I have no problems sleeping on my back at all.

Staff Nurse Sam now off until Tuesday . Turns out she goes to my local pub so I promised to buy her some wine if I see her! We got on well.

Lovely cleaner and I swapping stories as she is a fan of bbc 4 history programmes . We also discuss the Crown. She has one accountant daughter whom she is very proud of.

Nurse Jude turns up.m - another new face. I am learning. I ask him to go through my medication and to check he is clear re the increased codeine dosage and the morphine. I also ask him if he can check what time the physio is coming so that I can swig the morphine down half an hour beforehand. I am now in “miss Bossy” mode!

I get up and wash. Walking is so much easier. Still painful but longer strides and I remembered all the advice about heel and toe from this forum.

Washing was hilarious. They left me to it with the call bell the other side of the bed! Duh!

And I start to wash with my gorgeous smelly aqua Di Parma soap courtesy of the wonderful Cap Maison Hotel. And I really drop it. Now has anyone here attempted to pick up a circular bar of soap with a grabber?! It is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE” i remember not to lean forward to pick up the darn thing. I try covering it with a towel to obtain friction and start lifting with the grabber. It falls out. After three attempts I exclaim “Boll*cks” at the top of my voice, stop and laugh. Then I remember I have a hotel pack of White Company goods in my bag. I get those and carry on. So now I am perfumed, have deodorant, horrible slimy hair still, no bell and soap on the floor. But moving is much easier. Just need to sort out the “Getting Out of Bed Unaided” bit...

“keep calm and carry on” where’s the Gin?!!
 
Last edited:
Actually it’s day 3. The day of the op is day 0. At least it was for me. That will make you feel better. Also they’ve lost you at least a day and a half. You will need to be in Miss Bossy Boots mode for as long as you are there. It’s not your imagination at all. They are poor with the exception of Nurse SAM. Really they should help you in a shower or wash your hair. My first shower a nurse stood beside me with one finger lightly touching my back. To assess my balance I think.

I had assistance with raising the log leg - hand under arch of foot - most of the time in hospital, ring for them, and some of the time at home. I also used a yellow leg lifter (Amazon) for a while. Although the leg is much improved now it is still not completely light and fluid but changes every day for the better. So all you can do is gently edge and creep sideways. The easiest way is in one side of bed - unop leg leading and out the other side unop leading. Alternatively out the side you got in.

I think concentrating on walking would be good. Log leg is making it difficult and that will be a little more time.

I doubt that assisted exercises are needed yet. I would have thought you should just do what you can lightly and have a few little walks up the corridor.

Hmm Aqua di Parma love it. Shall dig mine out and go and have a spray now.

Let’s hope they let you out to the rehab specialists very soon. Sounds as if you’re nearly there.
 
Well physio Suzie is lovely. She was impressed with the walking and I did a few gentle standing exercises with the bar. I then tried to get into bed with a strap. Almost made it but not quite. But I managed to get out unaided so very happy about that. She did suggest I cut down on the morphine but I said after the rough start I was t ready yet but would think about it tomorrow. The Clavadel have agreed to keep my room so if I am not discharged tomorrow it is likely to be Tuesday. I need the confidence to be able to get in and out of a car. And looking forward to my first shower! I can stand unaided quite easily so if I had the walker or shower bars pretty sure I would be ok.. feeling. Feeling tired now. Physio going to try crutches this afternoon..
 
Brilliant. I would say you are chugging along normally. You will be surprised. Overnight something that seemed impossible can become doable and normal. Every day there will be progress now.

Cars are not too awful. If the seat is not height adjustable have a cushion or chair wedge to raise it up. Perhaps also a soft cushion for lower back/incision area. Seat back sloping backwards. Go in backwards, one leg at a time. You might need the op leg lifted in. There are a few videos on YouTube.
 
I didn't see my surgeon after the op, as I didn't surface until too late on a Friday, but otherwise my experience mirrored yours @Apricot. I think the dedicated units sound far more efficient, as it's what they're doing day in, day out. Ours was fought for a few years ago when they threatened to close it, and it was saved, but sadly the Trust that runs the rest of the hospital is out of money so, as with a lot of the NHS, wards around it are shutting. I waited around 5 months; it could have been a shorter wait, but I was adamant that I wanted the surgeon that had been recommended, and so far he's lived up to his reputation. The wound is very neat, my pain is minimal now and, as long as I continue to do what I've been told, i.e. the 90 degrees, leg crossing, back sleeping rules, all should progress well. I still get tired and find back sleeping to be relatively no sleep, but all short term hopefully. I see him again after 6 weeks, so halfway there now.

All I have to do now is get my husband back on his feet!
 
Wondering if you've heard of the large plastic trash bag (on the seat) for getting into the car.
It makes it very easy to swivel to windshield facing position, once you're seated with your legs still
outside the car. I used this method and It worked like a charm. As you're probably already discovering, we make a lot of these things out to be more than they are in reality. I stressed about getting into the car and my home. Neither were an issue. Easy peasy. I'm sure you'll find the same to be true.
A great week to you!
@SurreyGirl
 
Wondering if you've heard of the large plastic trash bag (on the seat) for getting into the car.
It makes it very easy to swivel to windshield facing position, once you're seated with your legs still

THIS is amazing tip! Makes it so much easier.

As for getting in and out of bed. The easiest way is to get out on the same side as your THR. Scoot yourself to the edge. I use my good leg to help push me over to edge. Push up with arms and swing legs over edge. Then push up on walker. Just my .02. I'm sure others have suggestions too. Getting into bed she taught me to slide further towards middle of bed so bed is under your thighs. Makes it easier to swing leg over.

Your still doing a great recovery!
 
Thanks everyone! A very busy day today so shattered. Will update in a while but so far so good xx
 
Sunday 29 July Had a great visit from husband one niece and one nephew. Niece is a doctor. The visits were one after the other. Also two visits from the good Physio Suzie. . Can almost get into bed unaided but not quite yet. Can get out with care. In the morning we did gentle exercises standing and all fine. We agreed on the morphine before the visit so it had time to another visit from Suzie in the afternoon who is excellent. She had me practising with crutches. Felt a bit strange at first but ok. Can’t believe I am in crutches at day 3! Once initial stiffness from sitting in chair has gone the movement became more natural. However now shattered. 2 physios and 2.5 hours of visits. I had a lovely time but too much.

I may be discharged tomorrow but think it is more likely Tuesday. I want to go Tuesday just to give myself one more day of peace and quiet before the hassles of discharge and getting to the Clavadel. . Because I am going to the Clavadel I don’t need to tick the box re stairs just yet. I can do that there.

So lesson learnt today is although ones family are lovely and I really loved seeing them - to give time to oneself as well for peaceful recovery is essential. But I love the “hip op” cd my niece gave me!

And I will try not to drop the soap tomorrow!
 
Cassidy This all sounds very encouraging

Layla - thanks for that. What a great idea. Instructions duly given to husband

Seeing physio tomorrow morning and then the experts with view to being discharged. Almost managed to make it into bed tonight using a strap to support bad leg. Was nearly there but got stuck and it started to hurtso nurse gave it a little push. Moving to the centre of the bed was much easier even considering the air mattress. Religiously eating bananas every day to prevent cramp as drinking masses of water. Bangers and mash tonight and I enjoyed every mouthful... and I even got a FaceTime call from my good friend Nurse Julia all the way from St Lucia.
21:14 goodnight everyone and happy hip recoveries..
 
00-56
I should start making a list of things NOT to drop in the floor. That are difficult to pick up with a Grabber

1) a circular wet bar of soap

2) an iPod mini - impossible to pick up with a grabber as smaller than a matchbox and much thinner. Also very vulnerable if stepped on..
I tried several times to pick it up. As it was conected to my Bluetooth headphones at the time it changed tracks each attempt as set to random on shaking. At past 12 am the irony of me chasing this around the floor whilst it played random tangos/James Bond and excerpts from the soundtrack of “50 Shades” (don’t ask!) was not lost on me and I was giggling and frustrated at the same time.

I waited until I really needed to go to the loo before calling the staff and had to cry, “stop!” as one made it round the bed. I asked her to pick it up. She duly did and asked me what it was . When I demonstrated we all got the giggles.

Then, out of bed on my own for the first time but carefully watched. A result in more ways than one!
 
Last edited:
I dropped everything!:sigh: Twice!:doh:
All going to keep getting better...hope today is a good day!
 
All quiet on the Surrey front. I toss a coin. Heads you've been discharged tails you're chasing up and down the corridors on crutches shouting at all the nurses that you're coming through.....
 
Back
Top Bottom