Guest viewing is limited

THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

I was told I was weight bearing but nothing about restrictions but have been following them anyway.
Very few hip surgeons in the UK require restrictions.
Cup uncemented, head cemented. Know as a hybrid
Very commonly used the world over.
5) Letter for security at airports. This was interesting. Apparently they no longer provide them. If I go through the electronic gate and set it off he said that most security would then use the wand and it would be fairly obvious I had had a replacement. We shall see!
See this Have you set off the alarms at airports?
"Lifetime Restriction" of not bending and twisting but bending straight down ok.
You are kidding me! I would seriously like these chaps to find me ONE patient that is still complying with the nonsensical requirement! I'd bet that most patients would totally forget about them after even a few months!
 
:wowspring:Great update...but then I knew you were doing well!!

Still very reassuring to hear it from the doctors! Was for me.

Agree with the lifetime restriction being pretty much impossible.
Your hip will tell you which moves it isn't quite ready for and for how long.
Same with your car.
I know my small car was a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of four first six months.
I just was mindful about getting in and out...not really something sometime had to remind me of.
When it has been all about the hips for all this time, it's kind of hard not to be careful, Right?
So happy to hear other hip is good!
That had to be good to hear!
It's just going to get better and better:egypdance:
 
Hi, live update. Sitting here waiting for my OH appointment. Fingers crossed. Not sure what to expect but my very kind GP has given me a Fitness to Work note suggesting reduced hours and phased return. Good! It would really help me to work from home as much as possible and avoid driving if I can for the next few weeks. Lucky with the weather again so walk coming up later...
 
Very few hip surgeons in the UK require restrictions.
Very commonly used the world over.

See this Have you set off the alarms at airports?
You are kidding me! I would seriously like these chaps to find me ONE patient that is still complying with the nonsensical requirement! I'd bet that most patients would totally forget about them after even a few months!
I couldn’t agree more Josephine! And this from the Young Registrar who must be an acolyte of The Consultant. Apparently they have worked together for quite a while.
 
Occupational Health: Well this went very well. HR had not sent the notes through (!) - so we started with what sounded like the “standard talk” about how this was to help me but people benefited from getting back to work sooner rather than later, that OH’s opinion counted rather than the GPs etc., so my heart initially sank. She was very firm about wanting to make her assessment and then she read what the GP had written.

However when she asked me what I had been off for and I said “THR” everything changed. Turned out this very nice and funny lady was an ex nurse specialising in orthopaedics! We went into the whole story of the op and the recovery.

In the end she went further than my GP’s recommendations and we also agreed (apparently unusually) that she could do a physical assessment including looking at the scar which she said was very thin and one of the longest she had seen but was healing well but very tender. She was not surprised it had been so painful and said there was a lot of soft tissue healing to go and to expect it to take a year. We discussed the painkillers and the physio and she thought my approach to both (thanks BoneSmart) was very sensible.

So the following was suggested which I thought was reasonable. .

1) reduced hours for one month starting on Monday with 4 hours a day first week, 5 a day second week and scaling up within a month. This is perfect because the more physical side to my job kicks in in November. We discussed the painkillers and she was happy with my approach to this. Suggested it was the right idea to wean off the codeine as and when.

2) NO driving for another month therefore mostly working from home as “flexible working”. She agreed the 40 minute stop start journey each way would set me back considerably. Hubby has agreed to take me in two days a week so I will work around that with the physio

3) turned out she was a fan of sports cars and disagreed with what the registrar said. She agreed I would have to be careful but that another month of not driving would make all the difference. Suggested practicing small journeys and practicing getting out of lower chairs to prepare but with care.

So waiting for the official report to come through but very happy with this outcome. I am now pretty optimistic :)
 
How very fortunate she knew what she was talking about and could advise you appropriately! Were you reassured about your unusual pain levels? Are you doing 4 hours a day every day? It still seems a lot.
 
Sounds great @SurreyGirl and thanks for the report. I get so much good Intel reading everyone's follow up meetings. Congratulations on landing a sympathetic OT person!
 
Hi
She was reassuring about the pain levels and the amount of soft tissue carved through given the size of the scar. Sitting here working and icing at home it is not too bad. I have done about 2 hours work today anyway… But she helpfully said she wanted to make sure I could combine work and some walking/exercise easily for the next 1-3 weeks in order to fit in the movement too.

Cutting down the codeine has helped my brain. My typing is much better but I still get tired surprisingly easily..

I have been working on and off this week as couldn't leave it any longer. 4 hours a day every day next week will be a challenge but I will pace it and see how it goes. At least I am not forced to do the rush hour commute which turns a 30-40 minute journey into one hour each way.. I usually work a 37 hour week and more when I am running events etc…

At least if I have the freedom to work from home this will make it easier. I was very lucky to get her. Oddly enough all due to the Consultant cancelling the follow up until this week which also rescheduled OH giving me this lady rather than another one. So all-in-all, very fortunate… She also agreed I had been under-medicated in the early op days..and was aghast at the Rotunda incident…
 
@SurreyGirl, Just read your thread from the cancellation of your original check up with the consultant (every cloud has a silver lining for sure!), to seeing the registrar and the OH person! Glad you have stopped all those exercises, and hope that the pain will dissipate quickly. Lots of great information for us all! Thank you for taking the time to share!
:flwrysmile:
 
So happy you had a supportive consult.
You have done so well you deserve to be commended!:yay:
Onward and upward my friend!:friends:
 
@SurreyGirl Great to hear you got an understanding and sensible person in your ex-orthopedic nurse! I hope her suggestions/recommendations all work out and that you're feeling stronger every day. With a return to work even on a phased work schedule, you will be more tired, I'm sure, so using your down time to really rest up and prepare will be very helpful. But glad to hear the optimistic report and that you're pleased with it.
 
Great consultation! Sounds very reassuring. It's wonderful you get to work from home.
So much more relaxed because those car rides in the early weeks can be stressful. I really had difficulty.
I couldn't call it "pain" but a very strong discomfort to sit in the same position for too long.
Speaking of cooking, I've noticed some yummy concoctions you've been whipping up and mentioning elsewhere. Possibly you missed your calling?
Hope you have a great end to the week!
@SurreyGirl
 
PS on my hunt through the internet about the MS30 hip joint - I found an article written by my surgeon did a study about the effect of THRs on ability to work for under 60s and recovery rates. In the article he recommended a 10-12 week return to work and then a phased return. I will be printing that out too!
Send the link — would love to read that article!

Wow! This was super interesting! LOOK AT HOW PEOPLE RESPECT THE THR SURGERY! I guess this was super big!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom